PDA

View Full Version : sink tube templates

pthomas625
06-17-2007, 09:45 AM
hi, i read somewhere that you can get a 1.5" sink pipe and it fits nicely over mhs parts. so, i was planning on using a sink pipe to create a design on my hilt. does anyone happen to have any templates? just for ideas... thanks in advance!

Hasid Lafre
06-17-2007, 10:03 AM
A good Idea for a plan is to drap out the designs you want on something like paper or if your decent with the ps paint program on every windows computer you can draw something out.

I did some small cresent looking things in 2 rows with 4 or so in them. lined them up with a basic line of small squares then erased them later.

The size is tought to get but it will help get a basic shape that you can then print off later.

Generally if you size it right by sticking your hilt or something comparable to the moniter and eyeball it you can get the general size of it to look right.

A good thing to do if your doing it on paper is to fold the paper in half then dra one side of the design. then stick it on a window and trace the lines on the other side. of if you knwo someone with a glass table then stick a lamp under it and do that way.

Had a table like that at school and it helpted alot of art work come to life.

Jedi-Loreen
06-17-2007, 03:02 PM
There are no standard "Templates" you will have to make your own. You can personalize it more that way. There are different ways to do it.

What I would do is first sketch out a basic design to get an idea of what you think looks good. I would do this on paper, personally, because I suck as using MS Paint.

Then get a sheet of graph paper and wrap it around the hilt, to get the right diameter, and cut it to the right width. Draw your design onto the paper, having the grid will make it easier to get it the design symmetrical.

Then when you are happy with what you drew, cut out the areas you will be cutting out of the tube, then tape it onto the tube and trace the design with a Sharpie marker.

Then get to work with your Dremel to make your cut outs on the sink tube.

pthomas625
06-17-2007, 06:47 PM
thankes youses veryses muchses peopleses! ok, enough of that. yeah, i know how to do it, i just wanted some ideas on what design and such.

Jedi-Loreen
06-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Ah, I gotcha now.

Well, this isn't a sink pipe, it's a piece of PVC over a sink pipe, but same basic principal. I did this for my hardware EL saber I built back in '02:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/JediLoreen/22b5d088.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/JediLoreen/0321d9b5.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/JediLoreen/26147bc7.jpg

Barmic Rin
06-18-2007, 12:29 AM
What I would do is first sketch out a basic design to get an idea of what you think looks good. I would do this on paper, personally, because I suck as using MS Paint.

I've done it!!!! I've found a spelling mistake by J-lo!!!!! We all thought it wouldn't happen!!!!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!
Sorry J, couldn't pass up a once in a lifetime opportunity like that! :D

Anyway.... back on topic...... I'm sure big yellow box & one or two of it's link sites have templates. If I remember correctly, alot of them are for plastic plumb pipe like the one J-lo used, so you may have to adapt them slightly for your own tastes, but it's a start.
I personally would draw from scratch, that way you put your own ideas in 100% without being influenced by someone else's design.

pthomas625
06-18-2007, 08:11 AM
ok, again, thank you very much peoples! i think i have one figured out, i'll post it somewhere at a later point in time. thanks again!