PDA

View Full Version : Wider than normal blades.

Onli-Won Kanomi
06-14-2007, 11:22 PM
A while ago I was thinking about the use of 3/4" instead of 1" blades in LED sabers and when I posted about it on another forum I was told that 3/4 blades dont have enough space inside to light up as bright as 1" blades, all else being equal...and that if you want to get a reasonably bright 3/4" blade you have to go to a thinner wall thichness so not as ideal for heavy dueling.

And it occured to me to wonder if 1" blades allow more light up them than 3/4" blades then what about going the other way?

What about a 1 1/4" polyc tube...I've checked and seen they exist with duel-worthy 1/8" walls...it's INSIDE diameter would be equal to the OUTSIDE diameter of a 1" blade...wouldnt that extra room inside allow the blade to be even brighter than a 1" blade or thick or thinwall construction?

Perhaps someone here has already tried that kind of 'Light Broadsword' and has some results? If anyone has does it work out that way? I havent found any specific posts about that here but maybe i missed something with sooooo many posts here...

I realize this would require custom emitters but maybe Strydur could make one for me to experiment with if no one else has but I thought i'd ask here first to see if maybe someone else has already tried it and its a 'dumb newb' idea that y'all found out didnt work years ago :lol:

Novastar
06-15-2007, 12:37 AM
I like the idea--it has merit... only question is to test it, indeed.

Maybe you'll want to look up a source for the right style of poly tube? And you might be able to then house it into some part found at a hardware store as a test...

Only thing I forsee that MIGHT be problematic would be that the amount of air displaced will be greater, and the weight would naturally increase slightly.

But... like so many things... worth a shot though!