PDA

View Full Version : Hasbo Soundboard Switches (Momentary vs. Latching?)

gundamaniac
06-13-2007, 01:32 PM
Alrighty, upon Novastar's recommendation, I'm moving my questions about momentary vs. latching switches to a new thread.

To rephrase the question, I'm wondering whether or not it's possible to use a latching pushbutton (specifically, the one that Tim sells) with a Hasbro soundboard. By my limited understanding, the Hasbro boards use a momentary, which sends a bit of electricity to the board to activate it. So what would prevent me from using a latching and double-clicking to achieve the same ends? I understand that for some boards, like Erv's, a momentary is necessary and that a latching switch will not work period, but for the Hasbro board, in which only one function is triggered by the switch, won't a latching do?

And also, would the board come to damage if I continually applied current to it via the switch? IE, if I had a momentary in place, would it come to damage if I just held down the switch, or if I had a latching in place would it come to damage if I accidentally clicked it only once? The reason I ask this is I figure that the amount of time people hold down the momentary to activate the Hasbro toy sabers must differ from person to person right? And I don't want to destroy my board with the latching version. Like Nova, I prefer the latch to the momentary so if i can get this hooked up with a latching switch then so much the better.

Input, replies, and advice everyone! :D

scott5050
06-13-2007, 01:45 PM
You should be just fine. Generally momentary triggers look for a signal followed by lack of signal - how long the signal is on for is not important.

The only thing you might have to watch is that clicking the switch once and leaving the saber will probably drain the batteries.

BTW, you could do the same with Erv's board although it can also be set to use a latching switch (or a normally-on momentary).

neophyl
06-13-2007, 03:09 PM
Yeah you can use the double click method. Its actually handy as it often can stop false triggering while using it.

BTw the CFv2 (Erv board) can be set to use latching (on or off) or momentary so you can use virtually any switch. Its just a config setting :)

gundamaniac
06-14-2007, 12:07 AM
Alright, awesome. That means that I can keep my current switch in my lightsaber and just do some rewiring to put in the soundboard. Whoo!

And it confuses the hell out of anyone else who picks up my lightsaber and tries to mess around with it :D