PDA

View Full Version : Different Blade Tubes

CaelestisMiles
06-12-2007, 08:51 PM
I just got my Luke ROTJ from ultra, and it comes with his "fiberoptic" blade. Now, if I bought Corbin style blade, would that fit?

Jedi-Loreen
06-12-2007, 09:09 PM
The outer tubes should be the same. Ultra and Corbin have different types of film that go inside the polycarbonate tube.

Unless Ultra is reusing the original FX blades, then a thicker tube won't fit without some sanding.

xwingband
06-12-2007, 09:21 PM
The Luke comes with a metal holder and 1" blade by default. So you can buy the film or a complete blade here and it will still work.

CaelestisMiles
06-12-2007, 09:37 PM
The Luke comes with a metal holder and 1" blade by default. So you can buy the film or a complete blade here and it will still work.

cool. thanks! I just paid off my next semester about 2 hours ago, so I'll start saving up for the corbin!

Novastar
06-12-2007, 11:27 PM
Cael... yup, LED "saber blades" basically are composed of three major parts:

1. A polycarbonate tube. Technically, you can use almost any kind you like or can get your hands on. All depends on what you want.

2. A diffuser to "trap" the light (which goes INSIDE the polytube). This can be anything you like, from a more solid-feeling plastic tube to rolled up thin plastic films. You can experiment if you like.

3. A half-dome tip with a mirror material. The mirror helps reflect SOME of the light back down the tube a bit. It's not essential, but recommended, and easy to do.

In terms of lighting, the "best" tubes are the ones with the least inner diameter... since more light can be "shown" or seen in the tube. However, they are naturally weaker for combat.

If you have TOO thick of an inner wall (or use a 3/4" OD blade)... you will begin to lose overall lighting since much of the light cannot "travel up the tube" as easily.

Finally, the shorter your blade, the more even the lighting can be--to a point. However the diffuser type plays into this very very much.

arcana
06-13-2007, 04:50 PM
Are there any good comparisons out there between the corbin vs ultra film?

987654321a
06-13-2007, 05:42 PM
here is my video of my saber with corbins film in it. i just compared my blade to a friends ultrasabers blade, and the only difference is that mine has a coring effect, and its IMO more even than ultras.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NZ-llmvukD4

xwingband
06-13-2007, 06:35 PM
Are there any good comparisons out there between the corbin vs ultra film?

Go to the thread index.

The comparison thread Gelu did will help. His PolyP film behaves just like Ultra's. IMO they are 180 degrees opposite.

CaelestisMiles
06-13-2007, 08:12 PM
is there a way i can just buy the inner corbin tubing to get the inner glow effect, and insert it in my ultrasabers "fiber optic" blade? And if so, is there a tutorial on this board that teaches you how to insert film?

sorry for being a newb :oops: :(

vortextwist
06-13-2007, 08:15 PM
corbins diffuser is also film. I don't know what the effect would be with 2 diff films.

CaelestisMiles
06-13-2007, 08:19 PM
corbins diffuser is also film. I don't know what the effect would be with 2 diff films.

is it ultrasaber's diffuser film that makes it fiberoptic, or is it the blade tube itself?

vortextwist
06-13-2007, 08:25 PM
The film but I don't know if it's really fiber optic, I got some film from him and it's pretty clear except when it's wrapped in serveral layers.

CaelestisMiles
06-13-2007, 08:38 PM
The film but I don't know if it's really fiber optic, I got some film from him and it's pretty clear except when it's wrapped in serveral layers.

you know, you're really really good at responding quickly :D. I've been told by my friend that ultrasaber's fiberoptic blade is brighter than corbin's, BUT looking at pictures I'm LOVING the look of Corbins and it even looks brighter. I think my friend is blind.

xwingband
06-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Ultra's is not brighter and neither is Corbin's. They really are completely different.

Ultra's is even and lights the edges different. Corbin's is all about the flare and the core going up the middle.

Putting a wrap of Corbin's film in Ultra's will not go well. You can however put Corbin's on the outside and it will be a tad brighter. If you want both benefits you have to really tone down the amount of Ultra's film.

As for "fiber optic"... Ultra claims it's both the blades and the film. The film... whatever, it's a film I'll leave it at that. He uses fiberglass reinforced PolyC tubes also.

CaelestisMiles
06-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Ultra's is not brighter and neither is Corbin's. They really are completely different.

Ultra's is even and lights the edges different. Corbin's is all about the flare and the core going up the middle.

Putting a wrap of Corbin's film in Ultra's will not go well. You can however put Corbin's on the outside and it will be a tad brighter. If you want both benefits you have to really tone down the amount of Ultra's film.

As for "fiber optic"... Ultra claims it's both the blades and the film. The film... whatever, it's a film I'll leave it at that. He uses fiberglass reinforced PolyC tubes also.

so i take it that the best route to go is to take corbin's film, and put it inside ultra's tube?

Novastar
06-13-2007, 09:49 PM
lol

987654321a
06-13-2007, 10:05 PM

exactly what i said, but in a more detailed way.

Hasid Lafre
06-13-2007, 10:19 PM
The tubes are all the same, dosent matter who or where you get it from there all the same.

BTW whats the strength difference between the thick and thinwalled blades?

obviously the thick walled will be stronger but as we all know thinner tubes more light can pass out.

So how much weaker are thin walled tubes?

Novastar
06-14-2007, 01:00 AM
Hasid, you are only partially correct...

Actually, polycarbonate tubes CAN indeed be different... it depends on many factors. The plastic density, if they "cross" section it or whatever... and apparently, there is some expensive poly-c out there that can be much stronger... unfortunately, the stronger it is, the "milkier" it is, and thus... gets to a point where it's not so good for our purposes.

Hasid Lafre
06-14-2007, 01:24 AM
But if you sand the insides of the blade tube wouldent that be self diffusing? as long as you dont get them to "milky"...