PDA

View Full Version : What is a sink tube?

Jetsi
06-11-2007, 01:11 PM
I really apologize to post this, but I have looked through the FAQ's, done a forum search and looked through quite a few of 654 results returned, and I still don't know what one is.

The reason I ask is my design I am thinking of says I need one. So, what does a sink tube accomplish?

*me ducks from the soon-to-come flaming*

Nightwing
06-11-2007, 01:51 PM
And you are quite correct to commence with the ducking.

A sink tube is the long, shiny thing seen here:
http://thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22

DACOTA
06-11-2007, 01:56 PM
:shock: Oh my god,no offense but thats the most obviuos question I have ever heard,man thats so bad it makes newbies look smart.I'm sory but thats just wow,really please dont get offended its just I cant believe somone asked that.

Novastar
06-11-2007, 02:12 PM
What in the HECKS is Starr Warz? Is it a magazine, or like the thing that gave you invincibility in Super Mario Bros. way back in the day?

Totally kidding. :!:

Jetsi
06-11-2007, 02:19 PM
Lots of offense taken, but no worries. I have been on enough forums to expect it.

I see that it is a long shiny tube, and I have seen that you can make a saber with just the sink tube, thanks for the link anyways.

This is the phrase that had me confused:

You need a MHS to sink tube adapter in order to mount this to a sink tube.

My only question was why, with the MHS system, would I need or use a sink tube? The answer is I wouldn't, and thanks for helping me figure that out.

Sorry if it was totally obvious to everyone else.

vortextwist
06-11-2007, 02:30 PM
some of the guys use the sink tube and make cutouts in them. or emitter shrounds becouse they slide over the MHS. check out the gallery.

Firebird21
06-11-2007, 02:37 PM
A Sink Tube is just that. A plumbing supply most commonly found under a sink.

They work well for custom sabers due to the fact that they are steel, chromed, and easily cut and manipulated. Before the MHS system it was arguably the most common way of building a saber and many people now use both as it can slip over most MHS parts.

I would not suggest a Sink Tube Saber over an MHS saber for your first saber. With the MHS you can just screw the hilt pieces together and go, (not including the electronics) Sink Tubes require cutting, drilling and a greater knowladge of saber building and are therefor harder to build.

Jetsi
06-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Vortextwist and Firebird21,

Thanks, that is the answer I was looking for earlier. Looking at the thread again, I definitely could have worded the question better. GIGO I guess.

xwingband
06-11-2007, 03:18 PM
To get to the why you use a sinktube...

Personally I just used one in conjuction with the MHS because:
A) I was able to get a length not currently in the MHS system.
B) I wanted the chrome. It takes lots of polishing to get the same out of aluminum.
C) The inside diameter is larger. Thus I could use a different battery setup that wouldn't work in the MHS. (4AA in a square)

Other non-related reasons to my most recent use of:
D) An adapter and sinktube can be cheaper than the equivalent length in MHS.
E) Lighter since it's thinner and thus may help with balance of a saber.
F) Easier to cut if that's part of your design.

ETC...

Novastar
06-11-2007, 04:22 PM
You can also fit two of the Li-Ion 18650 cells side by side in a 1.5" tube where you cannot with the MHS system.

That is one of the only reasons why I made my "Flange" sabers in this fashion.

To me, the MHS 2 Sink Tube part is invaluable, as it then allows you to use the AWESOME TCSS emitters... but then have a maximum amount of space in the hilt if need be.

A complete MHS hilt is WAY more durable though. Go figure, it being thicker...