PDA

View Full Version : my first lightsaber

pthomas625
06-11-2007, 12:09 PM
hi, i'm completely new to lightsaber building. just a few questions...1)what do you prefer? led or el blade? 2)for el blade, is the purple as dim as it is in the picture? 3)will it hurt to run the 4 kHz inverter with a 9v to 18v adapter? 4) i'm not looking to build a completely custom saber, so does this shopping list look like it covers everything?

Body of Hilt:
Screw on EL blade holder style 5
MHS ribbed extension v-grooved
12x 1-3/16" ID O-ring
Double threaded hilt style 3

Pommel:
MPS Clip
MPS Insert style 1
MPS Pommel style 1

Blade:
EL blade - Blue
Size?: 40"

Wiring:
1/4" Mono Jack
9v to 18v adapter
4Khz Inverter
SPST Push on/off - Mom switch with black button
Black rubber switch boot
Red LED indicator

p.s. do i need anything extra for the red led indicator? and what exactly does it do? lol. does it just turn on when the blade's on? or is it a low-battery indicator?

Thanks in advance for any tips, help, suggestions etc.

Barmic Rin
06-11-2007, 12:19 PM
Why not LED?

1)I love my EL, but they don't get a look-in now I have my LED's!
2)Brighter than EL. (Brightest in my experience are Purple & Green, blue seems especially washed out IMHO)
3)Less wiring to worry about (I hate inverters!)
4)That should cover it.

pthomas625
06-11-2007, 12:26 PM
well, i initially chose EL because it looks simpler. and cheaper i think. i also chose it so i could change out blade colors easier. and i like the even lighting with EL. i'm not too worried about wiring, unless it's really complicated. and you say purple EL is brightest? cause purple was my initial choice.

lol, how well do the LED hilts work as flashlights? (without the blade)

Barmic Rin
06-11-2007, 12:42 PM
Very Well! :wink:

You could always use Tims quick -change LED system if you wanna change colours.

EL & LED are two different leagues entirely!!!!

pthomas625
06-11-2007, 12:45 PM
yeah, i've seen that. i still have a few specific questions though. the 4kHz inverter says it handles 9v-12v. would it be save to use 18v with it? and does anyone know what the brightest blade is?

Novastar
06-11-2007, 12:52 PM
pthomas... please look at the EL blade Q&A section.

http://thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=13

I'd be surprised if what you're doing couldn't be figured out from A to Z there since EL is now fairly old, and much has been figured out with it.

I'm not sure that making an EL setup is actually cheaper than an LED one, but then again I've only heard that from some of the saber designers themselves...

I have an EL board if anyone wants it. I have no use for it.

xwingband
06-11-2007, 12:53 PM
yeah, i've seen that. i still have a few specific questions though. the 4kHz inverter says it handles 9v-12v. would it be save to use 18v with it? and does anyone know what the brightest blade is?

It should be fine. You are taking off the life of the EL and basically Tim doesn't guarantee it at that voltage.

Brightest blade? As in color? Lime is the best EL color. Red the dimmest.

pthomas625
06-11-2007, 01:00 PM
ok, thanks. i'll look at that post. what's an EL board? and does ...say...running an EL blade on 18v make it any brighter than on 9v?

Barmic Rin
06-11-2007, 01:02 PM
Is Tim's Lime the same as Park's Green?
That gives the best effect from any EL i've come across.

pthomas625
06-11-2007, 01:03 PM
well, i guess my real question with the brightest blade is...how is the purple rated? brighter or dimmer than average?

Novastar
06-11-2007, 01:03 PM
Sorry, I should have made it more clear... it is an EL Master Replicas Force FX board. It would drive the sound, light, etc.

If you'd like, e-mail or PM me and I'll send you a photo of it. I'm not sure if it even works, but I'm not looking to sell it for like a billion dollars, lol. If I can help someone who wants an EL solution... great.

vortextwist
06-11-2007, 02:02 PM
they don't make an purple led, so if your deadset on purple then go with EL.

pthomas625
06-11-2007, 02:06 PM
lol, i guess i wasn't quite clear with my question. i'm aware that there is no purple LED (unless colored discs maybe?) i'm asking how the brightness of the purple EL blad compares with the rest of EL blades. because in the shop pictures, it doesn't look very bright.

vortextwist
06-11-2007, 02:07 PM
hmm maybe I should have read it better, lol. I'm no nothing of el so I can give you no help. other than the EL paper sucks.

pthomas625
06-11-2007, 02:12 PM
el paper? like instead of wire it's like a sheet?

vortextwist
06-11-2007, 02:13 PM
yea it's the same stuff Parks uses. I have 2 one for my parks obi and parks Qui-gon. very dim

pthomas625
06-16-2007, 05:59 PM
ok, can someone with authorative power close this thread? i want to start a new one. thanks!