PDA

View Full Version : Sanding Powder Coating

Lord Maul
06-09-2007, 09:51 PM
i'm having my MHS powdercoated, as many of you know...

on the ribbed foregrip, the guy at the shop said he would have to do the entire thing black so he could wipe it or something. it is in right now, and i was wondering if it would be possible to sand off the paint that is not in the grooves. i can use a lathe, so that part is easy.

My question to you guys is, is it possible to safely and without chipping sand off the powdercoat? also, if i did it, would it leave a slightly different color on the edges where it was sanded?

any help greatly appreciated :D

vortextwist
06-09-2007, 09:54 PM
with the sanding I would make sure I use a block of somekind do you don't get it to push into the grooves. I would also think you could cut it off with a lathe but not haved used a lathe much I'm not sure.

Lord Maul
06-09-2007, 09:56 PM
it's a mini wood lathe, so i'm not gonna be doing any grinding. i can rig it up for sanding/polishing (have done it once before), but the tools aren't there for anything else

vortextwist
06-09-2007, 09:58 PM
then I would just make sure to put the sandpaper on a block os somekind, as you want a flat edge and not rounded.

Hajime
06-09-2007, 11:21 PM
They should have been able to podwer coat just the grooves if they do it for a living.If the powder is glossy,sanding will dull the edges.I would mask off the grooves before you start.A lathe would work the best,and just machine the coat off.If preped and cured right it should not chip.Hope that helps

Lord Maul
06-10-2007, 09:35 AM
hajime, how long would it take with just sandpaper?

as i said earlier, i'm using a wood lathe, so no actual machining can be done

Hajime
06-10-2007, 11:36 AM
It all depends on how thick the coat is and what grit sandpaper you use.If it's a thin coat,like around 2 MIL (like a heavy duty trash bag)220 grit should take it off with fairly easy.If it's around 6 MIL (like a heavy duty construction trash bag)well thats not going to be fun.I would start with 150 grit and work my way up from there.The problem your going to have is trying to figure out how thick it is before you start.I'm guessing it's black?So unless he had to coat it more than once,it should be around 2 or 3 MIL.Like vortex said put the sandpaper on something as this will help with keeping square and less mistakes.Paint stirring sticks work very well.Just use a glue stick or wood glue or just any type of cheap glue you have around the house.Hope this was helpful.

Lord Maul
06-10-2007, 03:08 PM
would the guy at the shop know how thick the coat is hajime?
if so, i'll ask him about that.

so would sanding in this grit order work?

Hajime
06-10-2007, 05:34 PM
He should know and yes those grit will work.You may want to go with 600 or 800 grit in between 400 and 1000 if your going to polish the uncoated parts.It makes a better finish.

Lord Maul
06-10-2007, 06:05 PM
okay. thanks a ton hajime!

Jay-gon Jinn
06-10-2007, 06:15 PM
Keep us updated on how this turns out, LM!

Hajime
06-10-2007, 07:41 PM
Glad I can help.If you have anymore questions just ask.

Firebird21
06-11-2007, 12:53 PM
LM, that's how mine was done. THey did the whole thing then removed the unwanted PCing.

That stuff is going to be a bear to take off. You will basicly be sanding Plastic off, because that's basicly what PC'ing is.. It's not easy and it will take some time. So be ready for that.

Barmic Rin
06-11-2007, 01:06 PM
What was the name of that tape we were talking about to mark off when pcing?

I need to pick some up for doin my hilt.

Lord Maul
06-12-2007, 02:38 PM
LM, that's how mine was done. THey did the whole thing then removed the unwanted PCing.

That stuff is going to be a bear to take off. You will basicly be sanding Plastic off, because that's basicly what PC'ing is.. It's not easy and it will take some time. So be ready for that.

how did they remove the powdercoat? some chemical, or sanding?

Psiberian
06-13-2007, 08:09 AM
maul,
I have a buddy that works in powder coat and he told me they should have been able to mask it off before coating. There is a special tape that they use to mask, then they spray it, remove the tape then bake it.

He seemed surprised when I told him you were told that you they had to do the whole thing and sand off later. ( I showed him one of my ribbed sections for reference)

It shouldn't chip if you are just sanding but that is going to be a ton of work it sounds like. good luck man!

Barmic Rin
06-13-2007, 10:12 AM
BUT WHAT'S THE NAME OF THIS TAPE!!!!!???????!!!!!!!

I'm getting desperate for my grip to be done, but can't until I tape off parts of it!!!!

Hajime
06-13-2007, 11:15 AM
High temp masking tape.

Lord Maul
06-13-2007, 02:58 PM
maul,
I have a buddy that works in powder coat and he told me they should have been able to mask it off before coating. There is a special tape that they use to mask, then they spray it, remove the tape then bake it.

He seemed surprised when I told him you were told that you they had to do the whole thing and sand off later. ( I showed him one of my ribbed sections for reference)

It shouldn't chip if you are just sanding but that is going to be a ton of work it sounds like. good luck man!

it's the ribbed V Grooved hilt though, so all the little pads would of been a PITA to tape, and cost me even more :wink:

Firebird21
06-13-2007, 03:27 PM
Honestly, it would look better if you sanded it, and even if you maksed it you'd likely have to san the masking line down anyways, it would just save a little bit of time.

On mine I was able to use wood lathe tools to remove the bulk of the coating, but if you're not carefull or go too fast you can easily chip it. Then you just sand down the tool marks and buff.

As for the tape...

Linky (http://caswellplating.com/powder/powder_tape.html)