PDA

View Full Version : parts for donation children hospital

lifesaber
06-09-2007, 09:27 PM
what we should do is set up a saber (parts donation form) for people who go to childrens hospitals so they can have somekind of drawing for a free saber for the kids. i would be more than happy to donation some parts for that. what do you guys think?

Nightwing
06-10-2007, 08:14 AM
Hmm.... I'm not sure that a saber would be the best thing for a kid in a children's hospital...

ti-el_terall
06-10-2007, 09:31 AM
Yeah, neat idea, wrong location.

Marsupial
06-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Hmm.... I'm not sure that a saber would be the best thing for a kid in a children's hospital...

we have problem "going" to our local hospital. They don't let us and prefer clowns. I'm not sure about giving them a lightsaber. Also, I doubt giving a saber to a kid that's about to die is a great idea.

Strydur
06-10-2007, 10:19 AM
Selling a saber with the profits going to a cause would be a better idea. That or donating a saber to a radio station or somebody doing a money drive for the hospitals. Childrens hospital is definately a good place to donate to if you have the means.

Novastar
06-10-2007, 02:17 PM
Visiting a children's hospital would be most ideal.

Dajoquim is on the right track with that sort of thing...

Originally, I wanted BOP I to go to bunches of children's hospitals via contacts through the 501st, but the chapter in my area pretty much insulted us, told us we were a "for profit" production, and said that they would not work with us.

That pretty much dried up my ability to get things to happen. I've never had much success with the automated phone call system, and e-mails and letters were always unanswered.

Oh well. Life's opportunities are often missed by those unwilling to keep open minds. I can only do so much. Sadly.

tazrob
06-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Most of the hospitals we visit are non weapon visits, they do not allow weapons there so not to sure how the whole lightsaber thing would work. The better option if you wanted to is something like MAKE A WISH that would involve a child that has a starwars type wish. We resently did an event that we contacted Lucas for and received a signed poster and a saber to give to a child that wished to meet Darth Vader was pretty awesome.

Nova,

PM me about your BOP, I am not sure why your local 501st said what they said about you being for profit (mainly because I know nothing about it) but I do know that if you take any cash contributions in anyway that violates the agreement that is in place between the 501st and Lucas (at least that is how our garrison handles it) When we do a toy drive event if someone is trying to donate Money we have them buy toys and donate them instead, that way there can be NO mistake where anything goes. Do you charge for your shows?

Doing anything that involves Lucas's work is walking a very tight line, cross that line in the slightest and there will be a team of lawyers crawling around and shutting you down.

Novastar
06-10-2007, 05:43 PM
For the record, Tazrob... the person from the 501st who commented to me about BOP (and we had a long discussion over e-mail)... had absolutely *NO* knowledge about my event whatsoever.

He didn't know how much it cost... he didn't know how long I'd worked on it... he didn't know that everyone was a volunteer, and that no one was some "uber" martial artist like Bruce Lee or Jet Li or whatever... he also accused me of having the performance of being a for-profit thing, yet... again he didn't know jack.

Balance of Power has never once taken contributions of any kind. Unless you count all the "free" work everyone involved in the cast did. In that case, yes, we've all made contributions, donated work, and donated materials for props and such for "free"... :)

I will go ahead and PM you too so I don't slightly de-rail the thread...