PDA

View Full Version : n00b questions: Hilt length / weight / balance

nocturne
06-09-2007, 03:01 AM
More questions I have.
didn't want to clog the slide over thread so I hope you guys don't mind me asking the next barrage here.

What length hilt should I consider for a 'standard' saber?
Bu standard I mean one that can be used one and two handed like most of the movie ones seem to be.
I guess in olde worlde sword terms that makes them bastard swords (or hand and a half swords if you don't like swearing)

Obviously, being an all metal construction, the saber is going to be hilt heavy. How does this affect the balance of it once the blade is in place?
Does it make the flashier spins easier or harder?
when I come to place the internals in the hilt should I bias the location of the internals to aid in balancing the hilt a little?

Thanks again.

xwingband
06-09-2007, 06:03 AM
Look around a bit. The length stuff been asked, even this very week. It really doesn't matter... there isn't a jedi regulation board coming around to see if your saber conforms to the intergalactic saber length mandate. :P

Go with what pleases you.

The hilts are not usually going to be hilt heavy. They are aluminum and even 14" hilts are going not be heavy enough unless you have a relatively short blade (like katana lengths).

It's nice to change components around for that but there are often other stuff at work that are more important to where you place them inside. Like if your batteries need to be accessed.

nocturne
06-09-2007, 06:13 AM
I was tryin to get more of a gauge on what lengths people here go for. (I've seen two handed short swords before, so anything is possible...)

Barmic Rin
06-10-2007, 01:37 AM
Please don't start another length topic here!!!!!!

As X says, go with what you find comfortable.

My personal hilt is 12.4", with 32" blade.
It's all personal choice.

My advice is go to Home Depot or similar, then put afew plumbing bits together, find a comfortable length, then either go for MHS of that length, or go 100% plumbing....

BUT DON'T START ANOTHER 'LENGTH' DISCUSSION!!!!!!!! :lol:

nocturne
06-10-2007, 02:51 AM