PDA

View Full Version : Blade doesn't fit the blade holder

Jacen_Aurion
06-08-2007, 12:58 PM
my 1" blade that came in doesn't fit my sink tube 1.25" blade holder that i got from the LED section of the store, can someone help me out here?

vortextwist
06-08-2007, 01:01 PM
is the bottom end knured over from the factory?

Jacen_Aurion
06-08-2007, 01:04 PM
knured? what do you mean? all i know is that the blade is barely big enough that it won't fit, should i try and force it in?

vortextwist
06-08-2007, 01:14 PM
when they cut them at the factory they use an tube cutter type thing. basically like a can opener blade and they just spin it while putting pressure on the tube.

Novastar
06-08-2007, 01:15 PM
No... do not force it... you have two very simple options:

1. Sand down a small portion of the blade... the portion that will fit into the holder.

2. Or, sand the inside of the holder.

If you do either--be sure to sand... then check... sand... then check. You want a tight fit... but not overly tight. You do not want a loose fit either.

Finally, if it makes you feel any better, the black 1.25" anodized holder from TCSS that I got needed a little "elbow grease" for me to fit a blade in there as well. However, I did not use a TCSS blade that time.

Slight variance in machining = always going to happen.

Unless you have like $250,000+ equipment and laser specs and proton torpedoes and all that jazz, lol...

Jacen_Aurion
06-08-2007, 01:20 PM
do i need to sand the blade down on the end going into the blade holder?

also the blade holder i have is the black one, it's listed as 19.95 and it's under LED Blade holders.

vortextwist
06-08-2007, 01:21 PM
just feel the very end of the blade, if there is a little lip then, just that part. If there isn't you may need to sand the blade a bit.

pockets
06-08-2007, 01:32 PM
I had the same problem with my 1.25 blade holder and an ultra blade, i just sanded the first inch and a half of the blade until it was very snug. sanding this part isnt a problem as you dont see it.

Jacen_Aurion
06-08-2007, 01:41 PM
right, thanks a ton guys, one last question however, how in the world do i install the blade film? i'd browse the forums but i'm on short time here.

vortextwist
06-08-2007, 01:42 PM
did you get corbins? just roll it up and install. I have never used his yet

pockets
06-08-2007, 01:58 PM
rolling the film around a dowel REALLY helps. if you have one. make sure its absolutely clean before installing it or you'll have dust all inside your lightsaber for eternity, or until you decide to remove youre film in a clean room and dust it off

xwingband
06-08-2007, 04:47 PM
A dowel may help but I've always been able to wrap it in a slight cone shape. As I push it up it rolls out. Once all the way in a use my finger to straighten it. Corbin's film is pretty straight forward to install even with a double wrap. :)

pockets
06-08-2007, 10:03 PM
yeah i can imagine corbins being easier, i had to rewrap an ultra blade wrap which is about 8 feet of whatever film he uses

Jacen_Aurion
06-14-2007, 01:42 PM
thanks for the help, guys. Yes I have gotten the blade holder problems fixed, and i got the film installed, one last question though... Is it possible to get stronger blades from Tim? The blades I got are good but, I have to slow down to about 80% speed and about 60% power. I don't get it, It's thicker and seems sturdier than PVC, which I am used to fighting with, but it bends slightly if you strike to hard or get into a saber lock. Are there any blades out there that are stronger?

Jedi-Loreen
06-14-2007, 02:18 PM
You actually want the blades to bend a little, that's how it absorbs the force of the hits. If they were rigid, then they would probalby be more brittle and tend to break more easily.

The thicker walled tubing doesn't bend and flex as much at the thinner walled does.

If you had anything thicker than 1/8" walled, if they even make it, it would be a lot heavier and more expensive. And transmit less light down it's length.

xwingband
06-14-2007, 02:29 PM
Ditto on JLo. The bending is the key to it standing up to duels. Anything more rigid will break or dent.

Novastar
06-14-2007, 03:29 PM
Jacen, you don't need to go 60% or 80% until you've actually BROKEN a blade.

Believe me, polycarbonate tubes of 1" OD and 3/4" ID... can take a MASSIVE beating. You literally would have to WANT to break it in order to do so on cue... and I doubt most people could do it the first try.

Jay-gon Jinn
06-14-2007, 11:02 PM
X-wing, where's that pic of you wrapping one around a tree? :)

Novastar
06-15-2007, 12:34 AM
On youtube...

But yeah, good point Jay... I still think Tim should post both X's video on the front page of TCSS, and BOP I... to show that the Luxeon saber setup MEANS SOME KICK-(censored) BUSINESS!!

THASS RIGHT. WE GONNA BUST A CAP...

...a blade cap that is. Aw gee whiz, where did the mirrored tip go?!!? Not AGAIN!! :P

Seriously though. It took me over a YEAR of abuse at 3 days per week of abuse... to even slightly CRACK most of the blade tubes. And even still... I have not yet "retired" any blades except for ONE. The rest were able to be taped up, or otherwise secured...

It is very very hard to break a 1"OD, 3/4" ID polytube.

Firebird21
06-15-2007, 06:01 AM
X-wing, where's that pic of you wrapping one around a tree? :)

http://www.yankeetoys.org/lee/PolyC1.jpg

Jacen_Aurion
06-15-2007, 08:01 AM
I'm going to have a job in the next couple of days hopefully, so if one breaks now it's not a big deal. If I actually break one I'll make sure it happens during a shoot, and then i'll post the link of it breaking!

Jay-gon Jinn
06-15-2007, 08:42 AM
Okay, so it was a lampost, not a tree! :D