PDA

View Full Version : Tools & Parts -- a list of the ones you can't do without

Novastar
06-08-2007, 02:03 AM
I'm curious as to what tools MOST saber builders out there use.

Granted, wouldn't it be nice if EVERYONE had their own personal machine shop... but since MOST do not... let's see what you do!

I'm also making a recommendation for us to CUT & PASTE the bottom portion, and add/edit/append/replace/re-organize as needed to create a really great source for everyone to know what to have ready in their "arsenal"!

Again, let's not say "a CNC machine" please, lol! Think: tools that you can hold in your hand.

------------------------------------------------------------
Major/required items:

* SOLDERING IRON -- preferably a high-wattage one with a small tip for precise work
* IRON "STAND" and SPONGE
* RESIN CORE -- not too thick of a gauge
* WIRE -- red, green, black
* STRIPPERS -- not the dancing kind... mine is a multi-tool that includes cutters
* PLIERS -- or as I call them, the "grippers", lol
* SCREWDRIVER(S) -- hex, flat, star or phillips, or all--depending on your screw head choice(s)
* TAP KIT -- for threading holes so that screws... uh... screw in right!
* HAND DRILL -- hopefully with a quick & easy bit/driver release system. Mine is li-ion, surprise surprise! 8)
* DRILL BITS -- duh
* CHEX MIX -- ok, this is probably more for "optional items", but after all this setup you'll need SOME kind of snack. It's fun to heat them up with the soldering iron. Totally kidding. Don't do that, kids.

Optional/smaller items:

* MULTIMETER -- this should be up above... but you don't ABSOLUTELY need it to troubleshoot. But it sure makes it easier.
* TEST BATTERIES -- just a pair that you don't care about, maybe all ready for you to check things out circuit-wise
* WIRE COVERS (HEATSHRINK)
* ELECTRICAL TAPE
* CLAMP -- even something simple to hold wires in place, or act as a heatsink when soldering
* HEX WRENCH -- the multi-tool kind. I hate loose wrenches... they drive me *NUTS*
* HANDSAW -- for cutting sinktube or other metal
* SHEARS -- also good for cutting metal
* SLEDGEHAMMER -- totally kidding

Polytube stuff:

* POLYTUBE CUTTER -- I love the one from TCSS, heheh
* GLUE -- your choice. Tips won't stay on anyhow
* MIRROR MATERIAL -- unless you bought a pre-made blade
* TIP -- see above
* CLEAR PACKING TAPE -- yes I cover my tips with this... I am a huge nerd. Either that or I'm sick of losing 13 tips in 6 rehearsals. :)

Decorative materials:

* RUBBER GRIP -- whatever types you like!
* RUBBER GASKETS / GROMMETS / GREEBLIES -- grip!
* 20ma LEDS -- for the "looks" if you like
* PLASTIC "WINDOWS" -- to cover purposeful "see through" areas
* NUTS, BOLTS, SCREWS -- varying ones that you enjoy using possibly to hold the hilt together... and for decor
* PAINT TYPES -- I like spray paints, but whatever you like is fine
* BRANDY -- Ok, this is not so much decorative as it should be under "Major/required items".

Amusing precautionary notes:

* Don't drink and saber -- that leads to the dark side
* REFRAIN... from "resting" your soldering iron... on your batteries
* Wafting the lead fumes toward your significant other while creating a saber is a good way to set it so you'll never build one again... :shock:

scott5050
06-08-2007, 06:11 AM
Steel rule
Digital Caliper
Engineer's square
Tungsten Scribe
Center punch

pockets
06-08-2007, 06:15 AM
dremel = <3

Jacen_Aurion
06-08-2007, 07:42 AM
chex mix
chanel no. 5
thermal detonator
door knob parts

okay everything is a joke except for the last one which i have on my hilt currently.

DACOTA
06-08-2007, 07:49 AM
*Heat gun-For shrinking your heat shrink.

Side note:Nova this is perfect, this topic will be really helpful to those who want to know what to get, and now they dont have to bother us with questions of what to get.

Jacen_Aurion
06-08-2007, 07:58 AM
if you can figure out how to take a door knob and door hinges apart there are some amazingly cool looking parts you can add to a lightsaber.

ti-el_terall
06-08-2007, 08:54 AM
Tube cutter, one that can cut sink tubes :D . Its a major help!

Do-Clo
06-08-2007, 08:56 AM
Nova the hammer is a required tool, it helps fit tight parts together and when you mess up a part you can use the hammer to beat the messed up part flat.

It is a tool and a stress relief device, don't leave home without it. :twisted:

Jonitus
06-08-2007, 09:32 AM
40W soldering iron with various interchangeable tips
Rosin-core solder (I prefer lead free)
Holder or rest for Iron
Sponge

Wire strippers - Mine will strip down to 22 gauge. Smaller than that, I risk danger and use my pocket knife

Heatshrink of various sizes

A hairdryer for the heatshrink

Dremel with full arsenal of cutting, grinding and polishing attachments. Bonus if you have the flex-shaft extension

Drill bits of various sizes

Tap and die set from 4-40 through 1/4-20

Tubing cutter that will accommodate 1/5" tubing

Files. All kinds. Full size, jewelers - flat, half-bastard, round, filet...get them all

Sandpaper in all grits. Try for wet/dry if you can

Adhesives. JB Weld, GOOP, Superglue, 5 minute epoxy

Non-acetone nail polish remover (great for cleaning up excess adhesive and removing marks from tubing)

Markers (Sharpie)

Masking tape

Graph paper (for laying out sleeve designs)

A good steel ruler

Dregan
06-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Decent Soldering Iron (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062750&cp=&pg=2&sr=1&retainProdsInSession=1&origkw=holder&kw=holder&numProdsPerPage=100&parentPage=search)

Helping Hands - best investment ever for precision electronics work (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104639&cp=2032058.2032236.2032314&parentPage=family)

Metal Epoxy (http://www.amazon.com/Protective-Coating-025550-Metal-Epoxy/dp/B000BO6FFO) - this stuff is drillable and tappable after curing. AWESOME.

Oh. LOTS of Wire.

Novastar
06-08-2007, 12:50 PM
Thanks guys, but...

Some of you are repeating entries that are already listed! Please make sure the item you're suggesting is not already on the first post, hahahah.

I love how people said "soldering iron" like 3 times, hahahah. Some other examples are things like "glue" types, although if you're offering SPECIFIC glues, great. Personally, I've found that almost any decent glue type is the same, as *EVERY* tip I've ever had has flown off at least three times. Unless I just built the saber. And then... only a matter of time.

Also, I was hoping to keep it as one big "list", but I'm not sure how we can do that effectively unless I edit my original post someday.

I might just do that. :D :lol:

vortextwist
06-08-2007, 12:54 PM
well it doesn't really say, post what you need that isn't on this list. :D

Lord Maul
06-08-2007, 07:31 PM
super glue
i use a butane cigar lighter for the heatshrink

DREMEL!!
it's the lifeblood of JJ :P

Novastar
06-08-2007, 10:20 PM
Please read what I mentioned, Maul...

The idea is to try NOT repeating what others mentioned. Pockets and Jonitus also mentioned a dremel, and someone else--a lighter. Glue was mentioned many times as well.

Again, the idea is to make a list for everyone, not keep confirming that we all use a soldering iron, hehehh. Uh... and solder flux. Uh... and wire. Uh, and screws... uh... etc. :)

djbordie
06-18-2007, 08:53 AM
so i noticed the shouldered end tips that come with tcss corbin style blade tend to fly off alot...

i though i would use automotifve goop or silacone or whatever to re attach it....but here is the ultimate solution!

METHOline Chloride

we use it here at work to melt plastic signs together and such...
so basically it fuses the shouldered tip to the 1/8" wall polyC

have not had it fly off yet, and tons of dueling lately.

Hasid Lafre
06-18-2007, 08:57 AM
I had my stryder style blade tip come off when I cought my blade on a step of a stoop and basicly drug it off the blade.

It wasent glued on very well to begin with, was only glued in prolly 3 places on the top of the blade.

But I reglued it with a stuff called sticks on contact in a purple package and havent had a problem with it comming off yet.

says its 4X stronger than super glue but it dosent frost the blade like super glue does like it turns plastics white. But I wonder how plastic welding the tips on would work?

djbordie
06-18-2007, 09:00 AM
this stuff is a liquid, it instantly melts them together, sooooo nice
bit messy though if it runs down ya blade...demos it lol

Luke-SkyMarcher
06-18-2007, 04:46 PM
Hmm
Paint thinner
Paper towels
Flexible pvc tubing, 1.25"
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=7513&product%5Fid=8742
Great stuff for 1.25" tube grips. I used in on my Qui-gon, obi-wan, and yoda hilts.

-Luke

Nikmel420
01-21-2020, 10:08 AM
A magnet I find extremely usefully for keeping track of screws and $#!+