PDA

View Full Version : Newb Help

archammer2
01-11-2006, 10:05 AM
Not really sure if this is the right part of the forum for these types of questions, but why not? (Bear with me, folks. I've never done anything like this before.)

I've recently come to the conclusion that I can build my own lightsaber (kind of obvious, right?) but I've got some questions...

1) I've got most of it planned out and I know jsut what parts I need and want to make my saber hilt. I was wondering just what I'd need to be able to put an EL blade in my hilt? The needed electronics, naturally, and a bit of pipe with screws such that the blade will fit snugly... But is that all I'd need?

2) Unfortunately, I have very little when it comes to tools and I have zero soldering experience. I'm assuming that all the neat little electrons need to be soldered, right?

Again, newb questions. Probably answered somewhere but I wanted to be sure on these two points. Any other pointers for the rookie?

Thanks, much, for your help!

xwingband
01-11-2006, 10:17 AM
1) you'd greatly benefit from reading the build a basic EL forum. Parts are listed there. Strydur sells all you'd need but you might be most interested in the kit he sells though or at least his blade holder.

2) Soldering is required but not always with an iron. If it's just two wires you can buy tape solder. You wrap the strips around the two wires and heat it up with a heat gun or heck even a plain lighter. It's not as neat or accurate but it works. If you put heat shrink over it though no one will know.[:D][;)]

<center>http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

thebluecanary
01-11-2006, 10:25 AM
If you think you have the skill, I found this site very helpful for designing my own custom hilt. http://www.sitharchives.com/

archammer2
01-11-2006, 10:26 AM
1) I... "glanced" at the topic for building a hilt. It doesn't sound all that hard... But you're right. For my first one, might be best to start with the kit.
The blade holder wouls certainly make things simpler, but I was concerned with how it would look/fit with the rest of the hilt. Though, parts can always be modified to fit, right? :)

2) Really? I didn't know that! Thanks for the tip! :D
Actually, since the soldering is all internal... wouldn't I be the only one that has to deal with it? Heheh..> And if anyone asks, the blade works by magic!

Thanks so much!

archammer2
01-11-2006, 10:30 AM
thebluecanary: That's just it. I have next to no skill. :P

For now, I'm just using off-the-shelf parts and sticking them together. I'm... Not very good with tools and haven't had a lot of experience (Dad wasn't around growing up).

As for the site... Looks like nothing but replicas. ^_^;; Good for inspiration but... maybe it's the artist in me but I want something that kinda embodies my emotions (in the ideal case).

thebluecanary
01-11-2006, 01:49 PM
I felt the same way about the site. I used it for sizing, and such. I'm up to verion 27! Yeah, looking at my current one to what I started with is just crazy! If you want to just uses it to help you make blue prints (even tho they are black), and thats what I used it for.

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style5,The-spc-Blue-spc-Canary.png

archammer2
01-12-2006, 09:18 AM
Hmm... You're probably right. At any rate, thanks for the link. Gives me ideas... :)