PDA

View Full Version : Question About Switching LEDs

CaelestisMiles
06-05-2007, 06:48 PM
I have a Luke ROTJ replica. I got it through Ultrasabers, and it has a green LuxIII. Now, if I want to change it to a Cyan LuxIII, do I have to change the resistors, or do all i have to do is switch the LED's?

BTW, i'm doing it so it will match the ROTJ poster that I just got framed. I'm going to display the lightsaber above the poster. Origionally Luke had the blue blade during the movie, and the poster shows that. I'm displaying it becuase I"m going to be making a custom saber through here, so who needs a replica.

Bonus Geek points to anybody who correctly gives the reason why Luke's blade was turned to green in the last minute of post production.

PS: I'm colorblind, so can you tell me if cyan is the right color? My sister said it matched.
http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/thumb/3/3b/Snapshot20060105004320.jpg/150px-Snapshot20060105004320.jpg

http://www.sineport.com/poster/eski/starwarsroj.jpg

acerocket
06-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Because the blue saber didn't film well against the blue sky backgrounds of the skiff scenes.

You should be able to use the same resistor. Since the blue and cyan both run at the same 'advertised' voltage and current you should be OK.

On the color, I'm not sure. It could be blue or cyan. I'd really need to see a good shot of the poster to tell for sure. Your picture looks like you shot it through the glass frame so it appears a bit washed out.

EDIT: If you are refering to the picture of Luke above the poster, then it does look like cyan (but a highly green tinted cyan).

Hope that helps.

Lord Maul
06-05-2007, 07:07 PM
there are no resistors. it is all done through the sound card :wink:
just swap out the led and you'll be fine

from the pic you posted, cyan looks like your color

CaelestisMiles
06-05-2007, 07:33 PM
THANKS GUYS! :D

and congrats to acerocket for his geek wisdom :lol:

Jedi-Loreen
06-05-2007, 07:53 PM
How is your LED mounted? You can't just swap out only the LED in a saber, it's mounted onto a heat sink.

Is this a Luke FX conversion? If it's a conversion, do you even know if you can swap out the LED? It should be hardwired into the saber and you'd have to put a quick connect on it, if you can get the heat sink out.

Someone else who has an Ultra Luke conversion would know more than I do about that. I don't know how similar they are to Tim's conversion kits.

With the MHS system, you have to buy a quick change kit and mount the different colored LED on a new heat sink and then you can use the same optics.

Lord Maul
06-05-2007, 07:54 PM
JLo, or you could just take out the heatsink, and desolder the wires attached to the led. remove the led, attach and solder new one, and you're set!

vortextwist
06-05-2007, 08:08 PM
also depending on ultras converions kits, I don't know how he does most of his. and depending on if the guy can, wants do it.

Marsupial
06-05-2007, 08:13 PM
and congrats to acerocket for his geek wisdom :lol:

its kind of a known fact. You might also know that it was planned to be called "revenge of the jedi" but then George said "a Jedi wouldn't take revenge" so they changed to "return" instead. I guess that's why revenge of the sith is called this way...

back on topic.
if you're refering to the luke picture the saber is cyan. It's exactly the same color as the cyan III that I use. if you're referring to the poster picture, the color is more blue then cyan.

I like your putting the saber with the poster. I try to do the same with my props and costumes.