PDA

View Full Version : Im going back to the hospital tomorrow

ti-el_terall
06-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Many of you probably know this, but on April.17 in the first block of school, I fractured my femur. We were playing rugby and when my friend tackled me I kinda did the splits, but the top right half of my femur went in and the rest of the leg twisted and went out. I sat on the field for about 20 minutes till the ambulance came, I was then driven to the local hospital. The most painful parts were switching over to the bed and doing the X-rays. Once the doctor confirmed it was fractured they loaded me up and sent me on a 45 minute ride to the hospital in the town over. I then waited till about 6 when I went in for surgery. There were two surgeons operating on me, it went on for 4 hours. They had to put a metal rod in the middle of the bone so that the bone has a base to grow on. They stitched up the inside of my muscle then stapled my skin together with 25 staples in total.

Two days later I stood with the help of a walker and the next day I was able to shuffle over to the washroom. The day after that I learned to go up and down stairs. The following week I returned to school, I was in a wheel chair for the first month but I now use crutches.

March 16 I had to go to my local doctor, the top of the stitch was to close to my skin and had protruded. It got infected the day after the skin grew over. I had the staples removed about a week prior. The medication they put me on cause about 2 inches of my scar to reopen, revealing about and inch of the stitch. I went back and they had to pull out as much of the stitch as they could and then cut it.

It finally healed over two days ago, and now Its been 7 weeks since the accident. I going to the hospital so that they can do new x-rays and to decide if I can start putting weight on it. It will be about 4- 6 weeks after till I can start to put my full weight on it.

I have to say, Its been the hardest time in my life, but visiting all the forums and working on my sabers have kept me sane:P. Its nice to have a group of people, most who Iv never, and may never meet be so kind and welcoming. Its been great over the past few weeks being able to learn a lot more about sabers and such. Hopefully by the end of the summer I can start dueling again. :) (And working, so I can make more saber :D )

Ill tell you guys how it goes!

supertrogdor
06-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Hopefully your leg will heal quickly, my prayers are with you for a speedy recovery.

Darth_Constantine
06-05-2007, 02:53 PM
breaking your femur is no fun. I don't say this from personal experience, but the Goalie on my school's JV guys soccer team broke his femur in late september at a practice and he wasn't walking normally again until mid-march. I will be praying for your speedy recovery. I broke my humorous march 1st of last year after separating the same shoulder in mid-january, it took 6 weeks to heal and they weren't able to cast it because i'd have had to have surgery on my shoulder because i've separated it 4 times. My guess is that a femur fracture is about 15 times worse. and also in my case I didn't have a lot of pain. I will definitely be praying for you to get well soon.

vortextwist
06-05-2007, 03:08 PM
oh man, I hope things only get better for you.

Darth_Constantine
06-05-2007, 03:15 PM
do exactly what doctors tell you and don't stop it if you feel fine a couple weeks ahead of time. the guy i told you about did that and that's why he wasn't 100% back to normal until mid-march when it should have been late december.

Do-Clo
06-05-2007, 03:33 PM
TI I hope all goes well for you tomorrow

Madcow
06-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Good Canadian kid!
You'll be a stronger person for the experience bro.

MC

Ravage179
06-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Madcow is right my fav quote is Neitche

"What does not kill us, makes us stronger!"

Good luck from another Canadian Brother!

Darth_Constantine
06-05-2007, 09:18 PM
if he stays the course mentally (as breaking a bone can be as painful mentally as it is physically, which i have no doubt he will) he'll be stronger as a person, but he won't be stronger physically (obvious). I pray in your case you have no set backs, cuz the guy i know had plenty.

Novastar
06-06-2007, 02:07 AM
Ti-er... my thoughts are with you brother.

And we'll work to get your Plecter board working. I will NOT STOP until I help you to get it up and running.

Sometimes, it is the little things in life that matter most. :)

DACOTA
06-06-2007, 08:13 AM
Get well.I tell ya thats alot worse than when I broke my collar bone,but I have to say at first I coudnt even move,but enough about me I hope you get better,and was it your first broken bone?Cause mine was.

Barmic Rin
06-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Good luck Bro! MTFBWY!

ti-el_terall
06-06-2007, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone! Yes, it has been hard mentaly at times, especially when I realized hwo seriouse the break was. My physical shape has changed as well, my arms have alot more muscle as does my left leg. My right one is thinner now tho. Of course, after 7 weeks my left leg is starting to have really bad pains, form taking all the pressure for so long. Il ask the docter about it, I hope its nothing tho :?

Hasid Lafre
06-06-2007, 10:20 AM
good luck. and a line that my father used to say.

Its a longways from your heart.

Darth_Constantine
06-06-2007, 11:39 AM
if i'm right in guessing you broke your right femur then your left leg pain is probably just overuse.

ti-el_terall
06-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Well, it didnt go well. Not well at all. The doctor looked at the x-rays and said that It was healing slower then it should. He also talked about how its not normal for a bone to break so easily. He says its anouther four weeks till I can start puttong full wieght on it, only half for now. Today has really opened my eyes, Iv really tried to be optamistic about this but I cant take it anymore. The day after I recieve my report card I will be filling a lawsuit against the school board. This isnt just for me, its so that this WONT ever happen to anouther kid again. The school board still hasnt evn talked about contact sports in school time. They think that since they were nice for the first week that now they dont have to worry about legal action. This is WRONG! Contact sports do not belong in school! A week after my accident, a kid in the states DIED in a game of rugby. And he had the proper equipment.

Darth_Constantine
06-06-2007, 06:29 PM
contact sports in schools are an amazingly wonderful thing, I have a torn hamstring, separation of my right shoulder 4 times, and a broken humorous to thank contact sports for. unless you didn't have the proper equipment then you should really really think it through before you sue your school. i'm praying for ya, man, stay optimistic, even though you might not want to, set a goal for yourself every day. (make these realistic goals)

also by saying contact sports don't belong in schools you are saying that you don't want to see more amazing atheletes in professional sports like LaDainian Tomlinson, Donovan McNabb, Peyton Manning, Derek Jeter, Dwyane Wade, LaBron James. (I don't know crap about hockey sorry, hockey fans) However your school shouldn't be allowed to have contact sports unless they can provide you with the proper equipment.

vortextwist
06-06-2007, 06:53 PM
I was goin to rant but I will not. All I will say is that I'm sorry you got hurt and things are not going well, but how is it the schools fault or that sports should not be allowed in shools? Get better man!

Novastar
06-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Ti-el... your body is a self-healing organism--and in time, you will be just fine.

But your body will need TIME.

I hurt my knee very badly about one month ago or so... it's a bad one, but luckily I'll be alright. Still... my body will be healing for MONTHS and months. I'm not sure I'll ever be "100%" the same, but it'll be close enough.

Many an athlete has gone through a major injury, and at many age levels and skill levels... they all make decisions on what they will or will not do... and how far they will go or not go.

ti-el_terall
06-06-2007, 07:33 PM
How is it the schools fault?

1. There was no equipment provided.
2. The teacher didn't do any warm ups or exercises
3. The field was in no condition to play in
4. There were already rules in place saying no contact sports during school time

So now I haven't been able to work for 7 weeks and at least 7 more? My mom should have to pay for all the costs? What about the time form work she missed to help with me? Vortextwist, all I have to say is, there is a lot of other things I haven't talked about and do not wish to disclose. I don't want to get into an argument with you or anyone else on the subject.

I think contact sports are fun, but you should have been properly taught how to do these things. There are the extracurricular sport teams, which are allowed to do these things.

vortextwist
06-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Me either, I am truly sorry, maybe I didn't catch the faults of the school in your first post, but anyhoo, Get healed up, lots of saberin to do

Darth_Constantine
06-07-2007, 09:30 AM
ti-el i for one hope and pray you get completely healthy in under 7 weeks, i'm on your side buddy.

Do-Clo
06-07-2007, 11:13 AM
Ti sorry to hear the news but it will mend in time, I know it is fustrating for you right now to be looking at another 7 weeks.

I will say that since you were not part of one of the school's teams which you join at your choice and with the permission of your parents, then the school should not be having full contact sports outside of those teams.

Even when I was in school (I am not saying how long it was ago) sports such as football were played with flags and no tackling was allowed. It sounds to me that they really messed up and they are fortunate that no one else has been hurt. While I am not a big fan of legal action sometimes it is required to right a wrong.

Mor-El Kesav
06-07-2007, 08:38 PM
Dude, been there, done that, got the T-shirt and scars to go with the T-shirt. It's a drag but time will pass. Don't forget to exercise the rest of your body and do those isometric leg exercises on the affected leg if Physical Therapy has cleared you to do so. It will help speed your recover time once the cast is off. Trust me on this one, I didn't do them after the initial injury but did do them after the surgery and the difference was amazing. Good Luck.

ti-el_terall
06-08-2007, 08:50 AM
yeah, Iv been doing physio for the past 7 weeks and I can do alot with the leg. They still say Im gonna be going for 7 weeks, untill I can support full wieght.

Jacen_Aurion
06-08-2007, 09:43 AM
you hang in there ti-el, when it gets tougher than you think you can handle remember that we're all gunning for ya!

GFORCE13
06-09-2007, 02:31 AM
Unfortunately I also have been there 2001 was not the Space Odessy year as promised instead I ended up after April 1st having to learn how to walk all over again. All I can say is no matter how annoying the PT is just do it and you will recover fully, they told me I would never run again and I run around the backyard with my Dachsi all the time.Good Luck and may you heal soon. 8)