PDA

View Full Version : Enough room?

Shadow
06-05-2007, 01:40 PM
Hi all,

This question is aimed at all you experienced saber builders... :D

Would there be enough room to install a decent battery pack to run both a K2 and Ultra's Sound in an MHS ribbed extension(v-grooved) and a double female extention piece, plus pommel?

Novastar
06-05-2007, 01:48 PM
The short answer is "yes".

The long answer is... it depends on many factors, including the size of your switch, the size of your "decent" battery setup, if you're going with rechargeables (and thus need a charge port), the size of your speaker, its location, if you want some "quick disconnect" points within the wiring, etc. etc.

:)

scott5050
06-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Bearing in mind that we haven't actually SEEN an Ultrasound board yet the answer is:

Probably.

If you use li-ion.

And depending on which double female extension you mean (the really short plain one or the longer one with milled slots)

And which piece is going to be at the bottom (because the sound board really needs to go at the bottom)

Lord Maul
06-05-2007, 02:46 PM
the ultraboard will be 1x2x 1/2 (think) inches :wink:

if you use li ions, it will probably work.

and novastar, you don't need a recharge port for it. it is easier, but in no way necessary

Shadow
06-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Battery pack undecided, hence all suggestions welcome :)

Female section will be slotted version.

Bascially from what i've read, Ultras board will be 1-2 inches in length, not sure of other dimensions though.

Emitter - Ribbed - Milled Female - Pommel

Thanks for your input so far guys

vortextwist
06-05-2007, 03:11 PM
it will be a tight fit but ya, my brother did somthing like that. I would go recharge port though becouse as he would change out batt he kept messin up the wires and breakin them.

Jay-gon Jinn
06-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Ultra's board is 1" wide x2" long x 1/2"-3/4" tall. The only problem with rechargeables is that when they die, you're done playing with your saber until you a)replace with freshly charged batteries or b)recharge the saber. Personally, I'd go with option a. It'll make your wiring job a bit easier, and you can keep on using your saber while the other batteries are recharging. But that's my opinion, and since you are building your saber, it's up to you how you want to do it.

Novastar
06-06-2007, 02:47 AM

and novastar, you don't need a recharge port for it. it is easier, but in no way necessaryThere is no point to using rechargeables without a recharge port.

But the topic is about having enough room. A recharge port doesn't take much room anyhow. Mine take about 1/4" of space.

xwingband
06-06-2007, 05:46 AM

and novastar, you don't need a recharge port for it. it is easier, but in no way necessaryThere is no point to using rechargeables without a recharge port.

But the topic is about having enough room. A recharge port doesn't take much room anyhow. Mine take about 1/4" of space.

Save money, space and wiring hassle? Plenty of reason for some. :wink:

On topic... I think it can be done. You are going to have to sacrifice runtime though.

vortextwist
06-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Ultra's board is 1" wide x2" long x 1/2"-3/4" tall. The only problem with rechargeables is that when they die, you're done playing with your saber until you a)replace with freshly charged batteries or b)recharge the saber. Personally, I'd go with option a. It'll make your wiring job a bit easier, and you can keep on using your saber while the other batteries are recharging. But that's my opinion, and since you are building your saber, it's up to you how you want to do it.

that's why you make 2 8)

Shadow
06-07-2007, 02:16 AM
Strangely enough i'm planning to make a pair of sabers.

Originally i was going to make to larger hilts, approx 13inches long, however after recieving my parts from Tim i now feel the sabers are too long for use as duel sabers :cry:

Hence why i'm now looking to reduce the length

My original extra hilt parts will now be converted into practice hilts, so they won't go to waste

Jay-gon Jinn
06-07-2007, 07:35 AM
that's why you make 2 8)
Or three or four or five ..... :lol:

Shadow
06-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the advice guys 8)