PDA

View Full Version : Death by Glue......

yodaphet
01-10-2006, 03:58 PM
Good Evening
I have question about glues. I am looking for a glue to adhear my rubber grip material onto the hilt. My issue is finding something that has longevity and doesnt give birth defects, brain damage, or has a chemical known in the state of California that causes cancer...."whats the deal with that chemical anyways, and why is it ONLY California?! " It is crazy how many things we use every day have dangers that many people dont think to question. Just cuz they sell it, don't mean it's safe. I wish you all safe saber crafting for many years[:D] Okay I am off my soap box now[:I]

Anyways, any ideas would be awesome!
Thanks!

xwingband
01-10-2006, 05:12 PM
LOL, it's only california because they passed a law there that requires it be on any of those potentially dangerous products. If you market your product nation-wide it's easier to label them all instead of just California bound stuff.

3M double sided tape is what strydur and many others use on their grips. I have seen it on cellphone/PDA clips also.

For an actual glue: two part epoxy. I've used it and as long as it's applied even to a clean surface and allowed to cure properly it will last for quite a while.

<center>http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

yodaphet
01-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Ah, Very Cool!

Thanks for the suggestions, I am most grateful!

Darth Vengus
01-11-2006, 06:33 AM
<font face="Book Antiqua"><font size="2"><font color="red">Also, 3M Super77 spray adhesive in the brick red can is great when used properly (ie- spray both sides to be stuck together, wait 15 minutes, blah blah blah...). However, you really have to be johnny-on-the-spot with your masking the parts you don't want sprayed, as it is heck to get off with anything less than acetone[xx(]!

Vengus</font id="red"></font id="size2"></font id="Book Antiqua">

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger, faster and far more deadly than before. Go and seek death, my Apprentice." - Vengus, Sith Lord

scaarmor
01-11-2006, 09:05 AM
Have you tried an automotive product called Brake Cleaner to get off the oversprayed glue? It works great, dries in seconds, and its cheap. Basicly acetone in a sray can. Just spray some on a rag and wipe off the overspray. Just giving out options[:D].

Cain

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

LAN-ED-TUL
01-11-2006, 09:46 AM
if tim doesnt have it here then, go to blastech he sells rolls of the 3m tape. you just roll out the tape onto the grip back. the peel off the paper and apply the grip in place. i have several sabers with that type adhesive and never had any problems with it.

yodaphet
01-11-2006, 04:40 PM
I really appreciate the tips! This is my first Saber, and I am fortunate to have so many awesome creative people to offer advise.
You all great!

Once I get a few sabers under my belt, I too hope to contribute ideas![:D]

Darth Vengus
01-12-2006, 06:16 AM
<font face="Book Antiqua"><font size="2"><font color="red">Yeah, brake cleaner works too, but I got 25 gallons of free acetone a couple of years ago, and I might as well use it[;)]! I like the super77 because it dries semi-flexible and really adheres well to polished chrome and the like (ie- it don't harden, crack and then fall off[:(!])

Vengus

</font id="red"></font id="size2"></font id="Book Antiqua">

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger, faster and far more deadly than before. Go and seek death, my Apprentice." - Vengus, Sith Lord