PDA

View Full Version : Good Soldering Iron Brands/Models

Lord Maul
05-31-2007, 09:28 PM
i thought that it would be helpful for everyone if those of us with experience in soldering shared the good brands and models.

i'll start.

i just got a new temperature controlled iron from TMC. it is a 50 watt model, and can go up to 900 degrees F; plenty of heat for anything we do. The iron seems very sturdy, and can take some abuse

anyone else?

Ravage179
05-31-2007, 09:34 PM
i run a older 50 watt pencil iron with a home made temp control built from a light dimmer, works for me!

Steeljack
06-04-2007, 04:06 PM
I have the non-ESD version of the Hakko 936 (http://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_936.html) soldering station, which is the cream-colored unit in the picture.

It came with the 907 (medium-sized) iron, which has been up to anything I've thrown at it. Which tip I use varies a bit from task to task, but generally speaking I find chisel tips to be the most versatile and easily managed; I have a fine-point chisel tip on it right now.

All in all, it's been a dependable little workhorse, and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

987654321a
06-04-2007, 04:19 PM
i have a regular pencil type soldering iron i got at radio shack, it is a 40 watt.

Dminor
06-04-2007, 04:37 PM
I recently bought one of those cold solder units, and it's crap! You have to be touching both the solder and the item you want to solder at the same time before it will heat up. very impractical when you have fat fingers and no clamps to hold all your pieces together while you heat it up.

I'm thinking of making another MHS saber and will definitely go for an old fashioned soldering iron for that project.

neophyl
06-05-2007, 11:02 AM
Ive got the exact same Hakko Iron and wand that Steeljack uses.

Very good unit.