PDA

View Full Version : pommels

tbberman
05-31-2007, 01:30 PM
Hi,

Where are folks finding the "Luke" pommel I see in photographs. Its nice and knobby and looks much like many of the movie sabers. I am using the MHS to spec out a hilt for my first saber but I only see the two basic choices. I plan to eventually have sound and the basic pommels don't seem to have a place for the sound to come out.

xwingband
05-31-2007, 01:48 PM
They are stolen from MR sabers. Tim used to carry them.

Don't worry, in a bit of a sneak peak Tim showed us that a MHS pommel of it will be made available soon.

tbberman
05-31-2007, 01:55 PM
Sweet! I'll hold off on the pommel for now. This is my first "padawan" saber, so I'm gonna go slow.

Novastar
06-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Sink knobs can be outfitted if you wish.

Exit home --> Enter car --> Drive to hardware store --> Exit car --> Enter store, etc. :)

A sink knob is what was used on one of the original props in the movies. The IV, V and VI ones, that is. Well, really IV. Anyhow. :)

Hasid Lafre
06-03-2007, 09:03 PM
They were armitage shanks hand wheels its an europe product. I have yet to find them in any harware store here.

Marsupial
06-03-2007, 09:49 PM
problem with most modern sink knob is that they are plastics. A pommel is generally a counterweight for the blade, so it should be somehow heavy.

I'm having a hard time getting nice looking metal sink knobs.

Novastar
06-04-2007, 01:09 AM
Hi Mars. I know that pommels are used for counterweights... lol, I've been involved with swordplay for almost all my life, heheh...

Metal ones can indeed be found at a hardware store--unless perhaps it is too small or it has converted totally over to plastic-only.

Maybe I'm lucky b/c I live in SJ, CA?? :)

Marsupial
06-04-2007, 08:51 AM
I didn't doubt it Nova... but I guess you're lucky in your area... in montreal, all the ones I've found were plastic. A lot were even translucid.

Barmic Rin
06-04-2007, 01:02 PM
I have the same problem Mars. Nowhere local has any decent ones.
The only reason I have my AS sink knob is a buddy of mine used to work in a bowling alley & the were re-fitting the facilities there.
He grabbed 4 of them, but used two were really scratched & scuffed so he threw them (FOOL!!!!), and he used the last one for his saber.

Marsupial
06-04-2007, 08:08 PM
cool barmic!

were they metal? I'm curious about the weight.

Barmic Rin
06-05-2007, 01:50 AM
No, plastic.
I used plumbers glue to put a piece of copper off-cut inside to give it some weight.

My parts have been shipped by Tim, so should be here soon.
Once I have the Heat sink i'll finish the saber & post pics to show you.

JediTom
09-02-2007, 03:24 PM
The Luke Jeweled pommels are up for sale in the store, it is MPS Pommel Style 3, here is the link:

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/pc-944-32-mps-pommel-style-3.aspx

Bescherman
09-26-2007, 02:06 AM
So far this seems to be one of only 3 advantages to living in the UK as far saber construction is concerned:

- Easier access to Armitage shanks handwheel for pommel (although I have yet to look!)

- (Theoretically) easier access to metric PolyC tubing to replace Maul blades.

- Plecter Labs... 'nuff said!

gundamaniac
09-29-2007, 08:28 PM
Don't forget local Covertec knobs.