PDA

View Full Version : Hello everybody

tbberman
05-31-2007, 08:03 AM
I've been reading the forums for a bit and see that this is a really great site with lots of great people. Thee amount of help available is amazing. And the store itself seems to have everything a newbie could need.
I've been trying to decide whether to just go out and buy an MR fx saber or try to build my own (with LED). Between the MHS and the community here, I think I can make my own saber like a true Jedi! Like most folks I am on a budget but look forward to building my saber in stages - hilt first, then electronics and a blade. With the Ultra sound board coming out, I don't see any reason to buy a mass produced MR saber. The MR is probably cheaper, but it wouldn't be "mine." Sorry to ramble, I'm just excited.

Tom Berman

Hasid Lafre
05-31-2007, 08:06 AM
Hi and welcome.

Great choice to go with an MHS hilt. your making your first steps into a larger world.

supertrogdor
05-31-2007, 08:10 AM
Greetings and Welcome Tom,
MHS is definately the way to go, easy to assemble and exceptionally durable. Take the first step from padawan to master... Build your own

Hasid Lafre
05-31-2007, 08:11 AM
Loke the store shirt says.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/pc-835-28-tcss-t-shirt.aspx

Barmic Rin
05-31-2007, 08:56 AM
"Great people", well shucks!!!! {smug}

It's the way to go buddy, don't hesitate to ask us anything!

Jay-gon Jinn
05-31-2007, 09:27 AM
Welcome! I have to agree with evryone else, building your own is a truly satisfying experience. And as an added plus, if you go to a convention or other gathering of SW fans, you won't have the same saber as everyone else!

tbberman
05-31-2007, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I've got about $100 to start with and plan on getting a hilt together first. Using the MHS I've picked out the following: Screw on LED blade holder style 5, MHS ribbed extension, double threaded hilt style 1, screw on pommel style 3. I will probably ask for the drill and tap hole service to make life easier. The hilt looks great on the MHS although it runs to about 13 inches. Is that too long in anyone's opinion? I figure that when I get more money for the project I'll add electronics. My ultimate goal is to try and get sound effects and maybe the extension/retraction effect with a driver board.

Hasid Lafre
05-31-2007, 12:32 PM
Nah thats about the normal length for alot of sabers built here. becides you will have enought length to run a 5W with ultras board in the future.

Oh and theres a debate about whats better a K2 led or a 5Watt led. alot will say K2 and others a 5Watt.

But remember k2s and 5Watts are only in blues and greens and white.

good luck

tbberman
05-31-2007, 12:42 PM
That makes me feel better Hasid. Its good to know that I'll have enough room for goodies inside. I'll have to read up on the debate on k2 vs. 5Watt. I'm actually interested in using a green LED. I'm going to take it slowly and learn more about the electronics. By the time I get to that stage I'll see what choices look good.

Hasid Lafre
05-31-2007, 12:53 PM
I would most definatly go with a 5W for green. but the K2 only has a 30 lumen loss. some say they dont notice it some say they do.

The 5Watt green is 160 lumens and the K2 is 130 lumens. But the K2 you have to drive it harder.

Ya have to get 1500 mA to get the K2 to a proper output but the 5w only needs 700mA. but you need to run alot of power to the 5W 7.2V. the k2 can use less batteries but you have to drive it harder to get its full capacity out of it.

But remember a K2 driven by an Master Replica sound board will still be brighter than the 3Watt leds on the same board even thou its being underpowered. strange still I still dont get it.

But good luck in your choice both are great leds its just what will be best for you.