PDA

View Full Version : Darth Nihilus hilt

Doddy
05-29-2007, 07:42 AM
As it seems I am now set on doing a Darth Nihilus costume, I figured I had
best do up at least a hilt to match. (I may or may not wire it up my Red Orange 3W)

The reference pic (as limited as it is) can be found in my album here:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4072&l=573f7&id=583805285

I should have a left over Luke ROTJ MR hilt (after Tim was done stripping it for parts) in a couple of days. So I was thinking that with a little decorative work it could be made to look fairly similar to the one in the picture.

Any ideas on materials for the extra stuff?
I may have a bunch of PVC tubing that would fit the bill.

Or for that matter, any ideas on the design?

Jonitus
05-29-2007, 08:41 AM
I think the empty Luke MR hilt would be a fine basis for the Nihilus saber. The impression I get from Darth Nihilus is that he is tormented and tattered, so his saber should be reflective of that. Perhaps if you weather the Luke MR body (after getting rid of the copper paint), you could have a fine basis for your saber.

Hasid Lafre
05-29-2007, 08:48 AM
I dont know much about nih but from what I can tell squinting at the full pic it looks like a luke hilt could fit the bill.

Good luck and post lots of inprogress pics.

TorLinWaDur
05-29-2007, 12:23 PM
This is my picture of Darth Nihilus's hilt.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/torlinwadur/Lightsaber/20070322-NIHILUS/DSC02158.jpg

I hope this helps. I did not make it.

Do-Clo
05-29-2007, 12:26 PM
There are two different Nihilus costumes and two different sabers. The Nihilus from Kotor II use's the same saber as everyone else in the game. The picture you have of the tattered Nihilus is from RPG and the saber is different, so it depends on which direction you go as to which saber is correct.

Doddy
05-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Tor, that is a freakin cool saber, looks quite like the one in the pic.

Do Clo, yeah I was going off of the Champions of the Force illustration rather than directly from KOTOR II, as 1, the generic sabers look fairly unimpressive, and 2, the multi layered tattered robes look much cooler than the in game model.

Thanks guys for the tips (yeah I'll have to get rid of that copper paint, Jontius).

If you have anymore, I'll be happy to read them.

neophyl
05-29-2007, 07:05 PM
Heres the one I did for my friends Nihilus costume. We decided not to go with the common kotor sabre design but base it on the artwork too as its a much more interesting design.

http://www.spartandesign.co.uk/pictures/diznilus.jpg

http://www.spartandesign.co.uk/pictures/ukeu.jpg

Doddy
05-29-2007, 07:21 PM
Oooh, spiffy.

Thats a very nice group shot too.
What fabric did your friend use for his Nihilus?

Doddy
05-30-2007, 01:22 AM
Also, where do you get those red tubes, and are they very durable?
Just thought that it would probably be better in the long run to have a daylight saber for this costume.

edit: *smacks self over head* never mind, found them.

Doddy
06-16-2007, 08:04 AM
By the way, would you consider Nihilus's saber red or red orange if I were to use a luxeon?

Barmic Rin
06-16-2007, 01:17 PM
I'm sure his was Red-Orange, Sion had red.
So phil, will your 'friends' be a-coming to CE?

neophyl
06-17-2007, 01:24 PM
We used red as thats what it is in the game and in all the artwork.

As for if we will be at CE, of course. As we are all members of the UKG we will be an integral part of the costumed volunteers. Although if you pop along to the Lucas Arts stand you might just find myself and Nihilus there out of costume :)

We will be out in costume though for alot of it and so will revan and Visas.

Doddy
08-26-2007, 07:16 PM
Well this is the final look of my nihilus hilt.

http://photos-285.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v112/195/73/583805285/n583805285_259713_8605.jpg

chase
08-27-2007, 08:52 AM
dude, i really like that. looks very sith...how did you do the paint? or whatever it is...

Doddy
08-27-2007, 09:47 PM
Citadel Chaos black spray.
Its mainly used for undercoating metal and plastic miniatures.

I gave it a few light coats, then took to it with the sand paper.

Hasid Lafre
08-27-2007, 10:33 PM
pritty snazzy, Thats mhs parts right? What pommel did you use?

Doddy
08-28-2007, 03:40 AM
Yep, all parts for TCSS, bar the allen key set screw and the buttons.
The pommel is the old non MPS sloped one (imageine MPS 4 minus the hole, then drilled a new one for battery charger port).
All the other work is via the ever popular sink tube.
Oh, and some black rubber o-rings.

Hasid Lafre
08-28-2007, 04:20 AM
Awsome awsome man.

chase
08-28-2007, 05:19 AM
is it a spray paint or a regular paint? where can i find this stuff?

Doddy
08-28-2007, 06:47 AM
Its a spray, available at Games Workshop stores.
It is a tad pricey, but it hasn't rubbed off at all, even with all the scrathing.

chase
08-28-2007, 09:47 AM
did you use the primer and varnish too?

Doddy
08-28-2007, 07:16 PM
Just the basic "Chaos Black" spray, which acts as a primer.
It goes for $20 Aus or so. Probably much cheaper in the US.
I didn't varnish it, though I may at some point.
Was having trouble finding a matt varnish at the time
(Even "Purity Seal" is a little shiney)

DACOTA
09-09-2007, 09:08 PM
http://www.spartandesign.co.uk/pictures/ukeu.jpg

Where did you get those blades? I imagine you could paint the diffuser of tims blade.

Jedi-Loreen
09-09-2007, 11:59 PM
There is a red gel in the blades. He answered that same question somewhere else, maybe in the Costumes section, I didn't see it here.

gundamaniac
09-13-2007, 09:56 AM
Wow. That is a mighty impressive and evil-looking saber. And the pictures in your facebook gallery are neat too. Nice Nihilus costume.

Barmic Rin
09-13-2007, 10:10 AM
The gel filters look so good!

Phil showed me his yellow one with a white K2 & OMG!!!!!!

gundamaniac
09-13-2007, 10:26 AM
The gel filters look so good!

Phil showed me his yellow one with a white K2 & OMG!!!!!!

So the blade is what's causing the color if you have a white LED and gel filters? How is the brightness compared to the TCSS standard diffuser, or Corbin's wrap, or Ultra blades?

neophyl
09-13-2007, 10:35 AM
The gel doesnt act as any sort of diffuser. It just filters the colour. You still need to add in a normal diffuser of whatever type you want inside the lighting gel layer.

It just has the advantage of making the blade coloured for outdoors shots and flash pics. The lighting gel I used is the Lee filter, same as in the swatch books but on big rolls. So it has the same effect on the light as using a colour disc. Ok its more expensive as you are using more of the sheet but we spend all this money on our sabres so why scrimp on a few dollars more :)

Barmic Rin
09-13-2007, 10:44 AM
How does the purple gel 'tube' measure up to just the Lee filter disc?

gundamaniac
09-13-2007, 11:16 AM
The gel doesnt act as any sort of diffuser. It just filters the colour. You still need to add in a normal diffuser of whatever type you want inside the lighting gel layer.

It just has the advantage of making the blade coloured for outdoors shots and flash pics.

Ohhh. That's actually really neat, so you don't need a separate acrylic "day" blade and illuminated night blade. So, as Barmic's asking- how does it measure up to the disc? I always hear that using discs to achieve blade color with white LEDs is terrible...so how does the filtered blade match up?

neophyl
09-13-2007, 11:59 AM
I dont know about purple. Ive never managed to get one of the swatch books from Lee in the UK, tried several times now. Thats one reason I wanted the book so I could find suitable ones then order in the proper sheet in larger sizes with the nice ones.

As for the brightness its exactly the same using a single disc as to doing the whole blade. The effect is identical between them. So whatever brightness loss you get with a disc you will get with the big sheet too. Thats one reason I now use P4's or Cree's for all my white blades. Best balance for size and power currently.

The red gel with a red led doesnt lose much either, not a visible difference anyway, maybe 3-4%, minimal really.

Im still trying to find a supplier of a decent blue and green as the shades I have seen available are a bit on the darker end of the spectrum as thats what is normally used in theatres etc.

The yellow is cool though ;)

gundamaniac
09-13-2007, 06:44 PM
Hm. Sounds cool, being able to switch colors with blades kinda like EL, but with LED brightness and the ability to see the colors even in daylight.

DACOTA
09-14-2007, 07:38 AM
Ok so what i thought was true,you can turn it on and use it at night just like your normal night blade,well it is your normal night blade. :lol:
And its lee filters,well that makes it much easier for me to get.

Barmic Rin
09-14-2007, 09:26 AM
I had no problem getting one next day from them... Weird.

I hear Magenta 327 works quite well, though using just the filter ruins the coring effect from the pics i've seen!