PDA

View Full Version : 3 claw MHS Mount question.

Darth_Constantine
05-28-2007, 11:56 AM
Will it fit on a 1.5" sink tube?[/i]

Darth_Constantine
05-28-2007, 11:57 AM
oh, I forgot, if someone knows how long the claws are, that'd be helpful to know, if I can fit the claw mount onto my sink tube. (even though I don't have one, in the case that it does work with a 1.25" tube and doesn't with a 1.5" please let me know)

Lord Maul
05-28-2007, 12:02 PM
it will work on a 1.5 inch sink tube, but not on a 1.25
you might need to do a tiny bit of sanding, but i don't know for sure.

the claws are 3.25 inches long

Darth_Constantine
05-28-2007, 12:19 PM
thanks a ton! that's great news.

vortextwist
05-28-2007, 12:34 PM
I think you might have it wrong maul. since the mount fits on the mhs it would be too small to fit on the l.5 sink tube.

Lord Maul
05-28-2007, 12:42 PM
the mhs is 1.45 diameter, so you'll need to sand off 5 hundredths of a inch on the sinktube.

vortex, that's why i said you'll need to do a tiny bit of sanding

vortextwist
05-28-2007, 12:51 PM
yes I realize this but if a sinktube will slide over the mhs, that is alot of sanding. maybe if he used the sinktube adapter and an blade holder he won't have any problems.

xwingband
05-28-2007, 02:58 PM
lol... think about it harder.

To slide sinktubes over the MHS it is 1.45" OD ... The Claw fits over the MHS snuggly ... Thus the ID of a sinktube is 1.45".

That's a lot of sanding... easier done by cutting off the tube! :lol:

If he uses an MHS emitter and adapter it will work though. He would just have to have more of the emitter outside the tube to give the claws a mounting place.

Darth_Constantine
05-29-2007, 11:32 AM
what i'm planning on doing is sticking the mound on the bottom end of my saber, and then mount the claws pointing upward.

Jonitus
05-29-2007, 11:53 AM
You'd be best served doing that via the MHS to sinktube adapter, leaving it out of the sinktube just a little bit, then mounting the claw mount to it. You get a bonus by having a threaded part to screw a pommel into.

Darth_Constantine
05-29-2007, 12:16 PM
does anyone know if the sink tube 1.5" blade holder will work for LED's? It's listed under EL, but just wondering if it will work with LED's as well.

Jonitus
05-29-2007, 12:20 PM
If you mean this:

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/pc-623-19-sink-tube-blade-holder-for-15-tube.aspx

then no, it won't work for LED. I was referring to:

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/pc-654-33-mhs-to-15-sink-tube-adapter.aspx

Darth_Constantine
05-29-2007, 12:59 PM
Is it possible to just stick an MHS blade holder inside a sink tube, drill holes the bottom part that's designed for being screwed into the MHS adapter, and then just hold it in place by using screws instead of having the MHS adapter?

Jonitus
05-29-2007, 01:08 PM
No. The LED is mounted on a holder that doubles as a heatsink and is held in place between the LED/blade holder and the small shelf in the MHS parts.

vortextwist
05-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Tim could proly custom machine one for ya like the conversion kits. or buy the custom heatsink and bladeholder. It is for an i 1/4 sink tube.
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/pc-890-22-125-sink-tube-ledblade-holder.aspx

Darth_Constantine
05-30-2007, 08:56 AM
Thanks to everyone who's been extremely helpful, but after asking a million questions about compatabilities and such... here are my finalized plans.

I'm going with a 1.25" Chrome Vacuum tube. This just happened to be around the house in 3 18" sections that you can attach and detach however you choose. What I've done then is taken two sections put them together and then i'll cut them down so they add to 18" when I put them together. because they can be taken apart from the middle it means that I'll be able to have 2 11" hilts (when you stick the tubes together 2" of one goes into the other). I am going to be using 2 34" blades on either side. Ultimately this means I can have a Double-Bladed Saber, two sabers, one saber, or one saber with a long hilt. Because I'm doing white LED's I can conveniently switch the discs back and forth. The next saber I plan on doing is an LED w/ a 1.5" sink tube. But that won't be until I can get a 5w Cyan LED and Tim tells me that could be a while.

vortextwist
05-30-2007, 02:14 PM
you will be most disapointed in the colored disks.

Darth_Constantine
05-30-2007, 03:14 PM
meh, I looked at the pics of stuff besides I like the lighter stuff. and from what i understand you can put two discs in one hilt? I'm getting 2 sets of discs and doing combinations of blue/green on both sides, blue/red on both sides, green/yellow on both sides, red/orange on both sides.

vortextwist
05-30-2007, 03:16 PM
lighter stuff? as in a dim blade? becouse that is most likely what you will get.

Darth_Constantine
05-30-2007, 03:46 PM
If the colored discs don't work well it's not the end of the world for me, I'll probably make use of some of them by mixing them with colored LED's. if the blade is dimmer that's not a huge problem for me, I did get the double-wrap film and I plan on getting some 5w's from the luxeon site eventually.

Lord Maul
05-30-2007, 04:52 PM
go with lee filters. they are waaay better than the color disks, and they are free. you get a huge swatchbook, with tons of colors

Darth_Constantine
05-30-2007, 05:59 PM
where do i get them?

Lord Maul
05-30-2007, 06:58 PM
look for the lee filters Q&A thread :wink:
all will be revealed there

vortextwist
05-30-2007, 07:02 PM
but I still in mho are not as good. too much filtering.

Darth_Constantine
05-30-2007, 07:05 PM
well, if i don't like it, then most likely i'll upgrade to a 5w Cyan and then stick a green disc and see what the product is. I hope to figure out how to do a dark blue/green saber.

Lord Maul
05-30-2007, 07:12 PM
to do that, you need to look at the bin numbers on the leds.

somebody else can explain that rats nest, i don't fully understand it myself :?

Hasid Lafre
05-31-2007, 06:30 AM
Ok here it goes.

A bin 1 and 2 blue is sort of a regulat blue, a bin 3 and 4 blue is sort of royal blue-ish and a bin 5 and 6 blue are near the level of a bin 1 cyan.

Now a bin 1 and 2 cyan is a washed out blue with a tinge of green, a bin 3 and 4 is a more blue green, A bin 5 and 6 are in the levels of being green.

Some say a bin 6 cyan is unmistakably a green some say.

But when it comes to the greens bin 1 - 6 are all green they vary, very little in color differance like blues and cyans do.

Some say a bin 6 green is the absolute best looking green, the bin 2 green I have seen I dident like very well. I would prolly like a bin 4 or 5 but I would sure love to get my hands on a bin 6. I think corbin has a pic of a bin 6 green some where.

The red, red-orange and amber dont change color like the blues and greens do.

Meaning they dont change color as drasticly like the other colors do. like most say they dont notice any differance at all between a red and a red orange. ambers are kinda orange-ish but still yellow-ish.

The reds may change shades ever so slightly, i seen a 1w Bin 2 red with a 3W red not sure of the bin number but the only difference I have seen was overall brightness.

The bin 2 amber I seen is kinda orange but again still has a hint of yellow in it.

So Iam guessing higher bins of ambers wouldent change much maybe get a tad more yellow maybe.

But an actual royal blue led has a different set of binning as there not rated like the other leds are.

Check out luxeonstar.com to learn more in there pdf's.

Darth_Constantine
06-01-2007, 07:20 AM
well here's an example of the kinda color green i'm going to attempt to figure a way of making:

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/MCBMKKLMDEGG/best-of-2006-pixdawkins6.jpg

IMHO, that's the best kinda green you can possibly get.

Hasid Lafre
06-01-2007, 07:31 AM
I dont think that will be possable.

Darth_Constantine
06-01-2007, 12:49 PM
you're right, likely not, but i'm going to try.

Hasid Lafre
06-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Good luck. cause your gonna need a really dark filter and alot of power to light that blade up with a dark as hell filter. so I would look into getting an atlas led.

Its white but with 250 or so lumins or darn close to it I beleave.