PDA

View Full Version : What are teh advantages of a duel tube blade?

Hasid Lafre
05-25-2007, 10:05 PM
and what should be used for a diffuser/film?

Novastar
05-26-2007, 12:34 AM
Care to extrapolate?

More details are needed in order to answer your question.

As far as I can tell you--a fairly "indestructible" (meaning you will almost NEVER break it) tube is a 1" OD, 3/4" ID polycarbonate tube.

What light diffuser material you use (i.e. Tim's, Ultra's, Corbin's, a mixture, etc.)... is up to you.

Hasid Lafre
05-26-2007, 03:32 AM
A dual tube is where you take a 3/4" od tube and put it in a 1" blade.

I seen a pic of the one X wing has but it was a pritty crappy pic.

xwingband
05-26-2007, 08:01 AM
Well... just because I didn't take the pic in a pretty spot doesn't mean it's crappy. :roll: In fact I'd have to say those are some of the most accurate pics to what you see in real life that I've ever taken.

Benefits... hmm. The core is less defined as I stated. You can futz with the white and filters to get a white core. It takes quite a bit of experimentation, but the look is as close as we'll ever get.

The detractors are it's construction. It will rattle. Even with proper construction to space the tubes when hit hard enough the bugger will rattle because the inner tube gets hit by the outer tube.

Corbin offered multiple ways of doing the dual tube, but IMO the other ways are subpar to what can be gotten with a single tube design. I have his old manual... I'll upload it in a bit.

EDIT:
http://www.incomsabers.com/files/manual3.pdf

He describes two ways. I'm making one with a the 3/4" inner and 1" outer. I was going to use corbin's film as the diffuser with some matte spray on the outside.

Hasid Lafre
05-26-2007, 10:10 PM
thanks xwing

*goes off to read*

xwingband
05-27-2007, 09:07 AM
I finished my dual tube and other than the visibility of the fishing line on the old psab keel blade it's very much the same. I had to use TWO sheets of Corbin's film though, one in the inner and another in the out in addition to matte spray.

While the construction is more sound than my old one, I think I'd like to give it another shot with a smaller ID tube inside.

Hasid Lafre
05-27-2007, 10:47 PM
Kool. Let us know how it turns out.

gundamaniac
09-23-2007, 01:52 PM
Any updates on this blade setup?

xwingband
09-23-2007, 02:31 PM
I tried it with a 1" thin and 3/4" thin. I put a single wrap in both.

I wasn't impressed. It's okay, but not worth it IMO. It's not the same as the fishing line blade that was originally used for dual tubes.

I'm much more impressed with other singe tubed methods out there. If you want to chase the white core maybe this is for you, but there are a ton of other blades to screw around with before this one.

Marsupial
09-23-2007, 10:34 PM
One of the advantages of the luxeon blades over the multiple-in-blade-leds constructions is the weight, you get a saber that is way more balanced.

Well, the point is that you loose this advantage if the blade is made with 2 tubes, as it gets heavy.

I personally prefer a good single polyC tube blade.

xwingband
09-24-2007, 04:58 AM
It's no more heavy than a thick walled. In fact by volume it's less.

Luke-SkyMarcher
10-05-2007, 01:04 PM
I got an effect similar to dual tube when I sandblasted the inside of my thickwall 3/4" blade, and then put Corbin's film in. That way I had a 3/4" outer blade, a 1/2" inner blade, plus the line that runs down the middle in Corbin's film anyway.