PDA

View Full Version : Need an easy design

Dvdnut13
05-21-2007, 12:22 PM
Im was planning on building a lightsaber for my nephew who will be turning 3 and he really loves his toy ones so i was gonna make him a basic fighting hilt with no electronics and a blue doll rod in it.
Its a padawan saber of course so its one of the half sink tube sabers.
Well i got behind with moving and i havent had time to design a Bigyellowbox type pvc grip for it. Does anyone have something they could share that could shed some time off this project so i could get it fully done by saturday? Even a full sinktube design would be fine, i could just reduce the size in half in photoshop. thanks in advance.

Barmic Rin
05-21-2007, 01:13 PM
Just use a bicycle seat post, add some grips & a button, voila!

I done one like that for my cousin afew years ago, though he wanted an organic look to it, so I split the tentacles of an old independence day alien, stuck them on with super glue and added a bike handle grip. He was very happy with it & it cost me nothing!

Jonitus
05-21-2007, 01:37 PM
1.25" sinktube cut to about 8 inches long

1x1.25 PVC adapter (in electrical conduit aisle)

Black craft foam for grips (get the kind with the adhesive on the back

Section of 1" PVC pipe for blade

Spray paint for blade in your color of choice (Krylon Fusion is nice for PVC)

Screw for holding blade to saber

Sandpaper in varying grits

-PVC adapter will have to be sanded to fit inside the sinktube, but it ain't too bad. Sand the PVC pipe before painting it.

Barmic Rin
05-22-2007, 12:56 AM
I figured a bike seat post as most are slightly over 3/4" inner diameter, then decorate however you choose & see if a shop-sign company or similar can do you a colour transparent tube like the ones Randomsabers have.
Cheap & easy!

Dvdnut13
05-23-2007, 06:50 AM
never thought of using PVC as the blade. thatd be much easier for him to hold. Ill give that a shot. i need to get this thing today. his birthday is saturday.