PDA

View Full Version : Accent led wiring and battery question.

Ryma Mara
05-15-2007, 06:27 PM
Ok I got a 3W led with an mr vader board. I want to add 2 accent leds. I have a 4AAA battery pack with a wire soldered inplace of a bettery so I can have 3.6V to my board.

I have pritty crappy run time as it is so with adding 2 accent leds by dazy chaining them into the power before the board after the switch. should I add another battery and remove my jumper wire in my pack.

I just am a bit confused about the wiring for the accent leds.

Do I wire it like a resistored lux setup?

Ok the chrome housing is the bezzel on the accent leds. Iam wondering if it can be taken off and screwed onto the stores switches.

Lord Maul
05-15-2007, 06:33 PM
could you be any more general?

what led are you using? what sound (if any) are you using?

Also the chrome housing on the bigger accent led will the chrome housing come off and fit on the store switch.

i don't know what on earth you're talking about there :roll:

from what i gather, you want to know if you need to put in more batteries. myself, i would if i had room. you'll have way better run time :wink:

Ryma Mara
05-15-2007, 10:32 PM
With the wiring do I have this right.

The + - wires comming off the battery pack, on the + side I solder in the resistor and + side of the acc led.

Then solder a wire on the other contact comming off the acc led to the - wire on the battery pack.

Correct?

I tryed to do it ascII style diagram but I couldent get it right and dident feel like messing with mspaint.

Jay-gon Jinn
05-15-2007, 10:37 PM
If you solder it like that, the accent leds will always be on, wouldn't they? Unless you install a switch for them...
I'd wire them off the the switch with the resistor between the switch and the leds. Someone with more experience can tell you the correct way to do it, I'm sure.
EDIT:
What kind of board are you using? If it's an MR, maybe the way to do it is to splice into the posive leads for the lux led, then put your resistors in between that and the accent leds. Then run a splice to the neg battery wire, or back to the neg lux led wire from the accent leds. Would that work?

Ryma Mara
05-15-2007, 10:39 PM
well you see I got an mr board so iam not sure.

Jay-gon Jinn
05-15-2007, 10:43 PM
see above, I was editing while you posted!

Ryma Mara
05-15-2007, 11:19 PM
Humm. it might work.

Novastar
05-16-2007, 03:48 AM
Ryma, look up the MR wiring tutorials... you'll find that "VDD" is nothing more than the + feed running all about the board.

My *GUESS* is this means "volts direct drive".

If you think about it, what Jay-Gonn is saying not only makes perfect sense--but it is how the MR LEDs light up as well.

On any MR board that is LED (not EL), you will see a row of resistors... TAKE ONE GUESS at why they are there... and why there are so many...

There is one for every "section" of LEDs for the growing/retracting/whatever you call it of the blade.

Basically--power, resistor, LED.

So what Jay-Gonn is saying... WILL WORK.

neophyl
05-16-2007, 05:18 AM
Sorry Nova but thats not correct.
That row of resistors on the board itself is not there to lomit current to the leds. They are there to limit the current that drives the matching row of transistors. Each one of those transistors drives a section of the MR blade.

If you want to light up some accent leds from a MR board its easy. First connect the positive lead of the led to the positive input voltage (VDD). Then connect a suitable value resistor to the cathode (negative) led of the led. With a 4.5v input , something around 220-470 ohms will work fine depending on the colour of your led. Then connect the other side of the resistor to one of the transistors (use one of the existing MR wires that normaly run up to the blade.

You can wire up quite a few accent leds that way as long as they all have their own individual resistor.

That will light up the accent led when the blade is powered up.

Ryma Mara
05-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Whoa theres got to be an easyer way than to splicing into the board itself.

My mr board is powering a 3w cyan already. Iam talking about adding accent leds.

Novastar
05-16-2007, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the correction Phyl! I always wondered what the OTHER row of stuff was... :)

I never mind being corrected, as I barely know anything about all the electronics stuff.

All I know is--yes, it *IS* possible to put a "greebly" for-show LED on the MR board through the LED wires that go to the LED array on the MR (or the Luxeon/high-power in our case).

Thanks.... :)

Lord Maul
05-16-2007, 03:56 PM
ryma, i THINK the easiest way would be this.

battery +-----switch------MR SB------Blade LED...\
...............................\----------------------accent led\
battery - --------------------------------------------------\

the dashes represent wires

red=positive
black=negative

Novastar
05-19-2007, 08:27 PM
So, how did it work Ryma? You... you "GUEST" you... ;)

Lord Maul
05-19-2007, 08:31 PM
novastar, i don't think he can tell us :wink:
i think he got banned :shock: :cry: :cry:

vortextwist
05-19-2007, 08:35 PM
banned? what for, he hasn't said anything to me

Lord Maul
05-19-2007, 08:59 PM
either banned or his account got deleted. otherwise it wouldn't say "guest", it would say member

Jay-gon Jinn
05-19-2007, 09:26 PM
Wow....I wonder happened.... :shock:

vortextwist
05-20-2007, 07:18 AM
i'll have to ask him today

Marsupial
05-20-2007, 03:11 PM
in any case, he's no longer on the memberlist.

Hasid Lafre
05-20-2007, 07:46 PM
ryma, i THINK the easiest way would be this.

battery +-----switch------MR SB------Blade LED...\
...............................\----------------------accent led\
battery - --------------------------------------------------\

the dashes represent wires

red=positive
black=negative

So its one wire on the small led on a switch wire then the other wire on the small led to the - of the battery pack?

Lord Maul
05-20-2007, 09:35 PM
with a resistor in there as well

neophyl
05-21-2007, 06:32 AM
That method of wiring will light up the led as long as there is power to the MR board. As such the accent led will be on even if your blade isnt.

If thats what you want (a sort of power on indicator) then yeah wired that that (with a suitable resistor) works.

Barmic Rin
05-21-2007, 07:53 AM
Hmmm..... was looking into something like this for my Heiland custom, just have to sort the weatherig first.
Once again, Ryma asked a noob question for me! :lol:

Anyone know on his whereabouts?:?
Is there a ransom note? :?
Do we need to call these guys?
http://members.aol.com/PX7555/csi-ctv-01.jpg

Ryma, if you're ok & can hear us....
http://www.keefsta.co.uk/images/weebl.jpg