PDA

View Full Version : I think I found an idea for a clash sensor

Ryma Mara
05-15-2007, 04:00 PM
My niece has a hoola hoop called a cosmic hoop and its got 3 things on it where when you smack it, it lights up 4 or so small leds in flashing sequence of sorts.

I thought it might work for a clash sensor of some sort.

Novastar
05-16-2007, 03:57 AM
I'm not sure why you posted this in "general hilt building", but I'll leave that to Tim & X-Wing.

Request to MOVE this topic.

The most simple "shock sensor" is simply a spring that is surrounded by a little space... and then a metal ring, which is another lead.

When the spring vibrates--it touches the outer ring and in essence... completes a circuit. Signal can be sent.

This type of shock is "digital" (not analog). It is either on or off, so you cannot tell the severity of the shock... only that there WAS one.

This type of spring sensor--is exactly what is found in your standard MR board. Corbin used to sell or have them too... basically "Yusan" spring shock sensors. Very small, very simple, very cheap.

Very old technology now too. :)

The rubber hula hoop is extremely likely to have exactly that inside of it. Rubber ball novelty items have these as well.

Ryma Mara
05-16-2007, 11:12 AM
Yes its basicly it a spring and that but its very tiny and I mean tiny. smaller than the ones in the mrs but the board is pritty good sized.

I put it in general hilt building cause thats just what it is. its neather ment for led or el or anything else its just general.

It was just an idea that could work for anything.

Novastar
05-23-2007, 04:43 PM
Ryma, the spring sensor isn't "meant" for anything no matter what type it is usually. All it is--is a simple means of detecting shock.

Basically, it's just a simple simple circuit. It's either on or off, depending on if the spring briefly touches the contact it is meant to contact.

They can be large, small, long or short. Depends on the nature of shock you want to get.

The rubber ball one may or may not be more or less "sensitive" to clashes. I think it's a nice idea, as some people might want to trigger a clash with more sensitivity or less.

Erv's board (accelerometer) can be programmed for high sensitivity or a lower one... :)