PDA

View Full Version : Battery issue

MetaDi
05-13-2007, 08:28 PM
so i was showing off my saber today and was noticing that my battery pack was getting overly hot....what would be casuing this to happen?

Novastar
05-13-2007, 09:59 PM
Hi Meta. Welcome.

You may already be thinking, "Hmm, I'd better give them more information":

1. Battery type (alkaline, li-ion, ni-cad)
2. Battery brand (if applicable)
3. Amount of batteries used
4. Wired for... voltage or current?
5. LED used (Luxeon III Red-orange, high-current, etc.)
6. Resistor used (if applicable)
7. Driver board used (if applicable)
8. Any other electronics used
9. If any wires are not isolated (aka wire solders are uncovered in places)

This will help people... uh... help you! :)

--Jerry Macquire??? lol

Madcow
05-13-2007, 10:29 PM
Most likeley it's a short circuit somewhere. Do you have any bare wires touching any metal parts?

MC

MetaDi
05-13-2007, 10:45 PM
LOL yea it was the some tape fell off one of the connection and i foudnit on the floor, lil repatch and i was good to go..... but man that sucker got hot.....

how much longer do thoes Li-ION last....the old skool alchys just just annoying to change yaho

Jedi-Loreen
05-13-2007, 11:40 PM
Ugh, that is one of many reasons I hate electrical tape, it doesn't always stay where you put it (and I think it just looks ugly). Some people don't even use that, they use masking tape. :shock:

I've spent too many years doing electronic assembly to use tape. I can only use heat shrink tubing, as I feel compelled to make my work look as professional as possible.

I realize that not everyone even knows what heat shrink tubing is, but it can be found on packages at RadioShack. Though I buy it from a different electronics store in 3 or 4 ft lengths. :P

Glad you found your problem, but you need to make sure it doesn't happen again, obviously.

neophyl
05-14-2007, 04:34 AM
Especially if you fit a rechargeble type cell in future and doubly so if you fit lithiums.

rechargeables can put out more current short term than normal alkalines and shorting unprotected lithoum cells is just asking for a whole world of hurt.

Novastar
05-14-2007, 03:04 PM
Meta... glad you found the problem... hey, looks like it was #9! heheh

Here is a thread I started about Li-Ion batteries. Although NeoPhyl is right--it may be tough to make the right fit, unless you use the correct cell type and all that jazz.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2519

vortextwist
05-14-2007, 03:29 PM
Ugh, that is one of many reasons I hate electrical tape, it doesn't always stay where you put it (and I think it just looks ugly). Some people don't even use that, they use masking tape. :shock:

I've spent too many years doing electronic assembly to use tape. I can only use heat shrink tubing, as I feel compelled to make my work look as professional as possible.

I realize that not everyone even knows what heat shrink tubing is, but it can be found on packages at RadioShack. Though I buy it from a different electronics store in 3 or 4 ft lengths. :P

Glad you found your problem, but you need to make sure it doesn't happen again, obviously.
Hey loreen, would you mind telling me or pm'in me where you get that stuff. I need more than I care to buy from RS. I have alot of xlr and speaker cables to make and the shrink tubing works awsome for helping hold the ends on.

neophyl
05-14-2007, 03:59 PM
Id have thought digikey or mouser in the US would be good suppliers.

In the UK I get mine from rapid electronics. I can get it by the metre but I usually just buy 25m reels as I use it all the time.

LAN-ED-TUL
05-15-2007, 05:34 AM
you can also get it at wally wolrd in auto section.

Jedi-Loreen
05-15-2007, 10:05 AM
you can also get it at wally wolrd in auto section.

I doubt that you can get it in very many sizes or lenghts though. It might be what most people would need, I guess. I never noticed heat shrink there, I'll have to look, next time I go.

I get mine from a local electronics store. It wouldn't help anyone here to know, because they aren't online and it's not a chain type of store.

They sell it in 4 ft lengths in diameters from about 1/16" to over 1" in black and clear. They have other colors in shorter lengths, too.