PDA

View Full Version : MHS pvc grip question.

SilentBob501
05-13-2007, 11:01 AM
Has anyone done a pvc grip a la BYB using MHS? Ive been to every harware store i know and I cant find any pvc pipe that slides over an MHS like a metal sink tube does. Its either too big or too small. Is it a lost cause? Should I find myself an alternative?

For those of you who dont know what kind of grip i mean, heres a pic..
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m117/semmerman/rotatedsmall.jpg

Tenric Starkindler
05-13-2007, 04:34 PM
easiest solution I can think of would be to cut the PVC open and remove a small section, then put it over the MHS and use small set bolts to anchor it.......or use a small section of sinktube over the MHS and under the PVC.

bubbalew
05-14-2007, 05:31 AM
Have you tried the plastic sink tube? It is the same O.D. as the chrome stuff, and the I.D. should be the same or at least very close. I am planning a custom grip and was thinking of trying this. If you try it let me know how it works. It be a while yet before I have the funds for my own saber.

Jack

supertrogdor
05-14-2007, 08:16 AM
The plastic sink pipe is a bit too small inside diameter to slide over MHS parts, in fact it just fit over the threaded section i once discovered. As for the pvc pipe that just fits oversized, it is reasonably tight to 1.5" sink tube. You could always slide a bit of the pvc over a sink tube, drill, tap, and insert a couple button head screws while you are working on your piece. Or if you don't want to go to the extra trouble, a couple button head screws holding it in place does not leave much mobility on your piece of pvc pipe. I have done 5 or 6 of these as i think they look pretty cool, but if you have any other questions, i am happy to answer what i can.

Do-Clo
05-14-2007, 10:39 AM
If you have a heat gun you can take the section of pvc that is a bit too small and heat it up and slide onto the mhs once it cools off it is not going no where even without putting screws in it.

bazuka
05-14-2007, 11:19 AM
Like Do-Clo said, but BE CAREFUL. If you don't, you'll brown and bubble the PVC in the process.

Jedi-Loreen
05-14-2007, 12:52 PM
If you don't have a heat gun, you can also dip a piece of PVC in boiling water briefly, to soften it up. I've done that before, when resizing diameters of PVC.

vortextwist
05-14-2007, 03:17 PM
Have you tried the thin walled kind. they make diff thickness of pvc.

Arthelion
05-14-2007, 07:47 PM
I had a ****ens of a time finding the pvc he was talking about on the BYB site. The stuff he mentions is 1" thin wall pvc(which is confusing since there is no dimension on the entire thing that is 1"). I had to go to about 7 hardwares stores in 2 states to find it, but it slides beautifully and snugly over 1.5" sink tube. Since sink tube is a little larger than MHS diameter, you might try attaching a length of sink tube as a spacer over the MHS portions and sliding the pvc on top of that, though the grip you've shown might be difficult for a spacer to work well on.
Hope this helps answer your question

Tenric Starkindler
05-14-2007, 08:20 PM
Living on the East Coast I couldn't find the PVC around here.....Luckily a brother JEdi came to my rescue with some he had from California.....something to do with different building codes makes it hard to find in my area.