PDA

View Full Version : Retaining bolt retreading

Xen
05-12-2007, 05:22 AM
So I have a problem. I got my saber, I love it. Its a conversion of Obi-Wan's Ep 3 saber. So I was using it and my blade came out. I've found out the retaining bolt was lose, due to the treads being striped. Not sure how or when this happened. But I had just got the saber. I was told I would need to go from a 8-32 to 10-32 and retread it. Now This is the tough part. I don't know how. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could go or a place some where in Southern California(preferably near LA) that I could go and get this done. Celebration IV is coming up and I want my saber ready to use. Oh and any tips to keeping this from happening again.

xwingband
05-12-2007, 05:55 AM
Rethreading is darn simple. Any hardware store worth their salt will have the tools.

You'll need the tap and drill set (sold together) and tapping handle. It'll run you maybe $10-15.

Basically you drill the hole out. It's now slightly smaller than the new 10-32 size. Now you use the tap. This literally cuts the threads in. You use it like a cork puller. That is something you do BY HAND. If you encounter any resistance... stop, turn it out, clean the tap and hole of debris, then start turning it again.

All in all it takes less than a minute to do. I guess you could go to a machine shop if you really don't want to do it. They'll probably laugh at how simple it is, but heck maybe you'll get it done free.

Of course all you need to do that is in the TCSS store. You can buy it there if you don't mind waiting. At least you'll see the tool too.

vortextwist
05-12-2007, 09:06 AM
with the hole already stripped, wouldn't it be big enough to just tap (rethread) it?

Xen
05-12-2007, 03:13 PM
am I going to have any problems when I get to the plastic part? and anything i can do to keep the tread from becoming stripped again? i want to duel with this and such of course.

Lord Maul
05-12-2007, 03:18 PM
a 10-32 screw shouldn't ever strip out. IF it does, they you should just go for the kit sold here. that FOR SURE won't ever break, since it is all metal

vortextwist
05-12-2007, 03:27 PM
that's the problem with ultra's sabers, I hear they strip out easy. That is why I love the kits from TCSS.