PDA

View Full Version : MR board with a 9volt battery.

Ryma Mara
05-10-2007, 08:12 PM
Ok so I was wondering if take a 9V and resistor it down with this resistor

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/pc-888-36-47ohm-10w-resistor.aspx

and wire everything up the rest of the way with an mr board it will all be hunkey dory?

Edit 1500th post.

neophyl
05-11-2007, 01:25 AM
Simple answer is NO.

Resistors ase designed to reduce current, not voltage. While there will be a slight voltage drop its not what they are for.

The MR board is a logic level device, as such it works at 3-5v ideally. While the led with the proper resistor can take higher voltages the main semiconductors on the board cant.
If you really want to run from 9v then you need a 5v regulator supplying the MR board. That will drop the voltage down to a safe 5v for the logic and still let you use 9v for the led.
It has to be wired up in a specific way though. Mess up your wiring and you will fry the mr board.

Ryma Mara
05-11-2007, 07:30 AM
ok thanks, yeah I wasent exactly sure or not if it would work. thanks

fawnheart2000
05-11-2007, 08:24 AM
also if you just put the 5v regulator on the battery and then connect the mr board to the output and ground it will always be "on". this will fry the regulator after a while. be sure to heatsink the regulator also.

Novastar
05-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Fawnheart is right... you MUST heatsink the regulator... and make sure it is not near the FX board.

Corbin had to put a heat shield on a saber he designed for me, since it required a regulator, but the FX board had to be right next to it! Lots of heat going on in there.

However, I was running 7.2Li-Ion, not 9v. And by the way, a 9v battery will give you GARBAGE for run-time, *especially* if you're killing most of it by turning it into heat.

(That is what a regulator basically does).

Ryma Mara
05-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Ok so well lets just say for future referance I ahve a hilt that is very short(ribbed and 3" extention. take away half an inch on both ends for bladeholder and pommel and almost another half inch for the heatsink.

I did it once before but diden tlike the fitment but I need to fit a mr board in that space. and trust me it was a very tight fit and I dident like it.

Like I mentioned before I will not use li-ions, becides I cant spend the cash for a recharger for li-ions.

and no space for a recharge port eather otherwise I would go with the rechargable pack.

so what are my options? switch cant be put in the pommel cause well Iam making a mhs style clan saber and the pommel is bladeholder 7.

Novastar
05-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Well... warned you--we tried. Listen--you did not. Now SCREWED we will all be!

Just kidding. 8)