PDA

View Full Version : EL Wire Blade Life

jedioutcast
05-09-2007, 01:32 PM
How long will an EL Wire blade last? My saber uses a 2khz inverter running on two 9volt batteries. Any info would be appreciated.

jedioutcast
05-10-2007, 11:10 AM
Could someone be courteous enough to answer my question?

Jedi-Loreen
05-10-2007, 11:49 AM
That's not something most people here would know about. And not a lot of people are using it that much anymore.

Typically, depending on the frequency of your inverter, and also the voltage run through the wire, it should last several hundred hours before it starts to dim.

Marsupial
05-10-2007, 01:28 PM
To Jedi-Loreen you listend, She's THE expert when it comes to making EL blades for lightsaber.

if even her doesn't know the answer, the only solution would be to contact the manufacturer.

I am planing on making a nightlight out of a EL-setup for my graflex. Should be finished soon after I move, so somewhere in july?. Will then let it run for a few years and let you know as soon as its dimmer :lol:

Strydur
05-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Even asking the manufacturer would not get you a real answer. Lifespan is typically a few thousand hours. When using a 4k inverter it will lessen the lifespan more than using a 2k inverter etc. What batterys you use only effects the lifespan because you are overpowering the inverter and therefore increasing the Hz. I have never seen any direct specs that will tell you exactly how long they will last. I can tell you that I have never heard of someone complain because there EL wire went dead from use though.

jedioutcast
05-10-2007, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the info everyone, I appreciate it.