PDA

View Full Version : Fabrics

Ryma Mara
05-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Has anyone ever used hemp fabrics?

How did you like it?

TimeRender
05-08-2007, 11:44 PM
I've used hemp to make a few shirts. They make a lot of different kinds of fabric out of it though, so its difficult to answer your question without a little more information. What I used was very similar to a cotton muslin and I like it just fine. A nice heavy hemp fabric could make some good jedi garb.

Ryma Mara
05-09-2007, 08:34 AM
Well I found a couple places online that deal with only help and earthan materials.

http://www.earthfriendlygoods.com/catalog.php?category=221

Iam really thinking of getting osme fabric from them I just need to figure out which 2 colors to go with.

LAN-ED-TUL
05-09-2007, 09:31 PM
and if ya didnt like it ya could smoke it then. LOL

Ryma Mara
05-09-2007, 11:52 PM
and it would do nothing. hemp is the non drug part of the plant.

darthdan
05-10-2007, 12:56 AM
actually different plant

Ryma Mara
05-10-2007, 08:46 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp

its from the cannabis gene-o

pockets
05-10-2007, 02:02 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp

its from the cannabis gene-o

you really shouldn't use wikipedia as a definitive source of information, or to back up arguments. since anyone can edit it, its notoriously inaccurate.

Ryma Mara
05-10-2007, 02:25 PM
anyone thats a member that is.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hemp

anyway back on topic please.

TimeRender
05-10-2007, 04:09 PM
Yeah, Wiki's inaccuracies are not really relevant to this discussion since Ryma and Wiki were correct. Getting back to the actual subject, what colors were you thinking about Ryma? I think the black and the wine look pretty good together and would make a nice dark-side costume.

pockets
05-10-2007, 04:44 PM
yeah a dark side hemp costume might look really good too.

i was thinking like a natural hemp color and maybe a bleached hemp color would look cool, i never even think of the cool dark side costumes.

timerender: since you've made hemp clothing before, is it a really itchy fabric? i cant imagine how they would make hemps coarse fiber into something wearable lol. does it feel like hemp rope? jw.

Ryma Mara
05-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Well I would wash the poo out of it to soften it up and I would use some kinda very soft lining.

But the black and wine sounds like a good combo but not for the sith costume Idea I have.

For the jedi I dont know I would like to not use the bleached.

Maybe the harringbone with a natural would be good colors. but the order I dont have a clue.

The belt and boots would be black. Just got to find quigon stlyle in black and grab a black obi belt from ebay.

Not sure if I want pouches or not yet and if I do they got to be small and slim. enought to hold like cash phone small tool set and such for saber repaires on the spot.

I dont like the way alot of folks obis turn out so I am gonna have to come up with something for that.

TimeRender
05-10-2007, 05:45 PM
Hemp fabric really isn't anything like hemp rope at all. Just thinking about that makes me itch all over. In most ways it really isn't all that different from regular cotton linen or muslin. Natural and bleached hemp also take dye pretty well. The only bad thing I have to say about it is that it can be a lot more expensive than cotton, so it pays to look around. I've used it for medieval costumes because it has a more rustic feel to it and tends to be a bit more durable, but unless that's the style you're going for it might be better to use cheaper cotton fabric. Also like any fabric it is better to buy it in person than to order it online.

Ryma Mara
05-10-2007, 05:54 PM
everything I have that cotten shrinks like a mofo on me.

So iam gona give the hemp stuff a try and sence it will last longer than anything I own it will be gravy

Ravage179
05-10-2007, 06:48 PM
try linen its natural, and its comfortable to wear, also pre wash your fabric to shrink it and let it air dry.

you can find linen really cheap at any ikea.

TimeRender
05-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Hemp will shrink too, although I've never bothered to compare it with cotton to see which shrinks more. The best thing you can do with all fabrics is wash them before you cut out your pattern pieces, like Ravage said.

Ryma Mara
05-10-2007, 07:24 PM
Well iam gonna try it out anyway. for me cotton keeps shrinking.

and I know iam not getting fatter cause they shrink lenghtwise and we know thats bad for a semi/fatman.