PDA

View Full Version : just got my first MHS saber

morpheus1977
05-04-2007, 11:40 PM
here it is
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/morpheus1977/sabernoflash.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/morpheus1977/IMG_3435.jpg
I have already modded it a little (sprayed plastidip on the grip) but I am trying to get some ideas how I can further mod does any body have any ideas??

Firebird21
05-05-2007, 06:28 AM
So you went with the plastic dip... Let us know how well it holds up and what product you used.

Welcome to the addiction, your journey is now complete :twisted:

Barmic Rin
05-05-2007, 06:53 AM
I used a thumb screw as decoration. the prequel sabers had these as 'blade length adjustors' & activation switches. I put one just in front of actual button.
Simple, but effective.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t78/barmic_rin/12042007337.jpg

Not too clear on this shot, will try & post a better one later.

vortextwist
05-05-2007, 07:53 AM
So you went with the plastic dip... Let us know how well it holds up and what product you used.

Welcome to the addiction, your journey is now complete :twisted:

I second that.

Barmic Rin
05-05-2007, 08:13 AM
VT, was it you that powder-coated your Luke ROTJ?

Am going to try it on my grips, just wondering whether to do it, or anodise them.... thoughts?

Firebird21
05-05-2007, 08:55 AM
VT, was it you that powder-coated your Luke ROTJ?

Am going to try it on my grips, just wondering whether to do it, or anodise them.... thoughts?

That was me.

....... http://www.yankeetoys.org/lee/Luke13.jpg

If you have the money and a place near by that does it, go for it! I've done some heavy dueling and I've dropped it and not a scratch to chip yet.

The bare aluminium is easier to damage than the Powder Coating!

Barmic Rin
05-05-2007, 09:05 AM
There's a place about 10min down the road from me that does it...
will have to inquire about it.

I know there's a workshop locally that does Adonizing, so wanted to look into that, but it cost like £50 for a buddy of mine to get the barrel of his paintball gun done.

Dare not imagine the price for this powder coating, but then i've already spent so much on this saber, I may as well see it through.

Thanks VT.

Ambo
05-05-2007, 10:04 AM
YES, if at all possible .....powder coat is probably the most durable way of coloring your saber (IMHO)....if u can afford it and have a place that will do it.....by and far do it....lol....why do you think they use it on things like motorcycle frames and parts and vehicle rims......it is excellent.....like FB said ....it tends to be more durable than the bare aluminum. As far as anodizing it is excellent also....they are both good....it is basically personal preference.....and what u have available.

Barmic Rin
05-05-2007, 10:07 AM
Thanks guys!
Sorry FB, I thought VT had done it! :D

I'll post pics when I get it done.

What about the Plasti-cote stuff Morpheus has used? I can't see that lasting too long after a couple of duels...

Ryma Mara
05-05-2007, 10:13 AM
I heard from some that it lasts pritty well, one of these days iam gonna try it myself. if I can find a place that sells it in this town

pockets
05-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Thanks guys!
Sorry FB, I thought VT had done it! :D

I'll post pics when I get it done.

What about the Plasti-cote stuff Morpheus has used? I can't see that lasting too long after a couple of duels...

I've used the spray style plastidip and it does usually require touching up after alot of use. one thing i'd recommend if you try it, sand sand sand whatever you decide to plastidip. because it doesn't stick well to smooth surfaces. and for PVC sand it with a dremel if you want it to stick well.

Lord Maul
05-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Firebird, i'm getting my saber powdercoated for 20 bucks!!
it really isn't as expensive as i would of thought

Firebird21
05-06-2007, 07:33 AM
Firebird, i'm getting my saber powdercoated for 20 bucks!!
it really isn't as expensive as i would of thought

A lot of it depends on the place you're going and the circumstances.

I can imagine some places will do it for free or dirt cheap if it's a black or some other common color because they'd likely just spray it with a batch of other stuff the same color.

The place I had mine done P/C's race wheels, and if I had only done Black I may have been able to get it done for nothing. But they had to order the Copper and bake it separately. (I really have to get down there to finish that sucker...)

Moral of the story? Don’t count out the Powder Coating until you talk to your local shop.

Barmic Rin
05-06-2007, 07:41 AM
Well i'm looking at getting the outer rings of my grip section done gun-metal, so I guess i'll have to cough up for that one.

Eventually, when I get a high enough paying job (Ruler of Time/ Universe) I wanna build one & get it Electrum plated. Based loosely on Sidious', but actually using electrum instead of paint.
That stuff isn't cheap though.

Lord Maul
05-06-2007, 10:27 AM
A lot of it depends on the place you're going and the circumstances.

I can imagine some places will do it for free or dirt cheap if it's a black or some other common color because they'd likely just spray it with a batch of other stuff the same color.

The place I had mine done P/C's race wheels, and if I had only done Black I may have been able to get it done for nothing. But they had to order the Copper and bake it separately. (I really have to get down there to finish that sucker...)

Moral of the story? Don’t count out the Powder Coating until you talk to your local shop.

you said it. the black i'm getting put on the lady said they do batches of 2-3 times a week, so they'll just throw it in there :D