PDA

View Full Version : New (old) blade idea...

Dregan
05-02-2007, 04:16 PM
So, I'm taking a break from soldering together my new car tail light prototype (which has a clusters of red Lux Rebels inside, on the reflector surface, instead of a central bulb - very cool idea, if I say so myself) and I got an idea.

How about running a strip of Rebels (or two or three, back to back or in a triangle) up the middle of a blade, just like Hyper and MR do, only use some shock-absorbative material to secure them, like silicone? The only problem I forsee is the heat generation issue, but I'm thinking that maybe even a thin piece of aluminum between them might alleviate that.

It'd take a ton of Rebels, maybe 30 to 60 or so, and I'm afraid to think of the power requirements, but as an idea, how cool? (or how hot, if you think about it!)

987654321a
05-02-2007, 04:54 PM
how about really expensive? lol yea each rebel lets say costs like 10-15 bucks, now do 10 x 60

$600 ouch.

Lord Maul
05-02-2007, 05:08 PM
the heat would be massive. a lux 3 watter with tim's heatsink ONLY makes it warm to the touch in 2 minutes of on time. we are talking a HUGE amount of heat

987654321a
05-02-2007, 05:40 PM
well the rebels heat is cooler than a k2 so its really good.

LAN-ED-TUL
05-03-2007, 05:32 AM
but with 60 of them that 60 fold amount of heat there.

Dregan
05-03-2007, 10:03 AM
I didn't say it was 100% feasible, just food for thought. Maybe some sort of active cooling system. Getting pretty complicated, though.

And CD, I bought red for the taillights, but I paid $2.07 ea. for 25 for a total of about $52 + S&H. Where are you ooking that you're paying $15 each?!?!? Ouch!!!

That said, having played with these now, WOW, I'm in love. So small. So much light!

Luxeonstar.com's Rebel Page (http://www.luxeonstar.com/sub_category.php?id=1394&link_str=1394)

Novastar
05-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Dregan, since these do not yet have optics--can you tell us approximately what kind of "pool of light" is given per Rebel when you're (say) 1 foot from the wall and pointing it that direction?

Or just post some photos...

I did notice that the 3.15 fwd + the lumens per current rating is very nice compared to... well... whatever other LED.

Can't wait for some optics. :D

This could also make for some THIN choke points up near the emitter hand seeing as the LED is taking less overall space...

Dregan
05-03-2007, 12:32 PM
it's a little wider than what I expected - which was great for my taillight idea - but for anything focused, a set of reflective columnating optics is definately necessary. I'm not positive (because I don't have one nearby, otherwise I'd test it) but I think a standard optic like what Tim sells here would probably work here - you'd just need to surface mount it around the Rebel.

The more I play with these, the cooler they are. I mean, 3mm X 4.6mm - it's insanely small, and it fits anywhere, and they have a high thermal resistance, so you don't need as much heatsink. I love these little guys...

Novastar
05-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Awesome. They certainly look good on paper! I'd imagine they look... well... more well than *I* can imagine...!

I don't know, I can imagine quite a bit! ;)

987654321a
05-03-2007, 04:42 PM
I didn't say it was 100% feasible, just food for thought. Maybe some sort of active cooling system. Getting pretty complicated, though.

And CD, I bought red for the taillights, but I paid $2.07 ea. for 25 for a total of about $52 + S&H. Where are you ooking that you're paying $15 each?!?!? Ouch!!!

That said, having played with these now, WOW, I'm in love. So small. So much light!

Luxeonstar.com's Rebel Page (http://www.luxeonstar.com/sub_category.php?id=1394&link_str=1394)

hmm i thought it would be that much, if so that is a really good price.