PDA

View Full Version : maul conversion

frdm_rckr
04-27-2007, 11:58 AM
Does anyone else want full instructions to make maul conversion?

xwingband
04-27-2007, 12:46 PM
Sure... but as Tim said in other topics getting the picture conversions aren't high on his list of priorities.

It's not hard to figure out. The wiring is like the Vader since MR doesn't like change and the mechanics are the same too. Cut the plastic holder to fit and slide it in. :)

UltraSWG
04-27-2007, 01:14 PM
Awesome kits, Tim, I just placed an order. I'm glad you used a screw-in Luxeon mount on this kit like I do on mine, it allows for more vesatility so you can use either a lens or reflector, fewer parts, better heat transfer, compact design, etc. Perhaps you'll make all your kits like that in the future? A new standard, maybe?

I like the copper plate, that was a nice touch.

I was wondering, though, is there room under the kit for the impact sensor? When using your kit, where does the sensor go? Also, does the kit still allow use of the larger OD stock maul blade?

Anyway, thanks for releasing these, they've been long awaited. I'll get my tech writer working on an instructional CD as soon I get the kits!

P.S. Yoda kits next, plsthx :lol:

vortextwist
04-27-2007, 02:06 PM
Not sure how long tim made his kits but he ones I had made. I had to relocate the sensor in the board housing. Worked good for me anyhow.

Ryma Mara
04-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Maybe with the screw in pit the space thats there, theres room for the clash sensor.

Tim did say you could put the blade pin back in if ya wanted.

Lord Maul
04-27-2007, 03:39 PM
ultra, you just shove the clash sensor down into the Sound board. whatever works lol

987654321a
04-27-2007, 03:52 PM
when i converted my friends maul there was barely enough space for the censor to fit in there. so it was a really really tight fit.

Ravage179
04-27-2007, 04:47 PM
yep had the same prob not enough space, when i did my maul the shock sensor was a very tight fit, had to take it apart a couple of time cause it glitched out from just a little pressure but it works perfect now

Strydur
04-27-2007, 07:14 PM
There is room behind the copper slug as it is recessed when screwed in. Here are a few tips until I or someone else does the tutorial.

Leave the inside orings in place.

You just remove the current plastic blade holder section and replace it with the one in the kit. Nothing should need to be cut.

The led is not screwed onto the copper mount. The holes are for the wires to pass through. The lens/holder/led are sandwiched in place. Just dont over tighten and bust the lens. Some hot glue or something similar would be a good idea to make sure the slug doesnt loosen itself from impact.

And to answer Ultra..No the blade holder is not designed for the stock maul blades. You will need to sand them down or order new blades.

LAN-ED-TUL
04-28-2007, 10:25 PM
Does anyone else want full instructions to make maul conversion?

myself, i really like havin a set of instructions to follow. on the other vader and mace convertions, i printed them out and followed them as i went. the pics, along with instructions makes it alot easier.

so yeah, i am waitin for the tutorial to get done before i get everything and attempt it.

Bescherman
09-12-2007, 09:08 AM
Ok. I've been searching around the forums for an answer to this and have read lots of other interesting "Maul" miscellany but not what I'm looking for.

Does ANYONE have a supplier for PolyC tubing that is the same outside diameter, and preferably inside too but beggars can't be choosers, as the MR maul blades?

I was going to go and ask Erv as I understand that the Maul blades are a metric not imperial measurement. I'm in the UK so might have more success than those in the US in procuring the tubing I need.

MR used it. It MUST be available SOMEWHERE!!!

Thankyouplease :D

xwingband
09-12-2007, 09:14 AM
Well to start... what is the exact size?

I wouldn't bother though. One of the draws of a conversion kit is the ability to use the 1" blades.

Bescherman
09-12-2007, 09:23 AM
Ok, I don't know what the exact size is. I haven't yet pulled a Maul apart. I've got an ULTRA converted Maul coming soon so if I pick myset up some accurate callipers then I'll be able to tell you.

I have seen the dimensions quoted SOMEWHERE here before but I'm buggered if I know where! I was hoping one of you knowledgeable types would have it on the tip of your tongue!

I ask because I'm not using the conversion kit. I would like to be able to interchange the blades in my Ultra Conversion with a shorter set, probably with corbin's film in for variation.

Does that explain it a little better? Sorry I can't give the measurements just yet. I've just no way of finding out at the moment short of finding someone else who has posted it.

Edit: I must say that I AM tempted to convert my existing Maul hilt once I inevitably bugger it up from missing a catch, smacking it on the floor etc.
It would be nice to have a lux Maul in red too (the Ultra one will be green)

vortextwist
09-12-2007, 03:07 PM
my digital clipers say
26.0 mm- 1.026 inch

Ravage179
09-12-2007, 04:39 PM
the stuff i buy here in canada is the same as the maul, I have to sand it down to fit in tims mhs parts but it fits the stock maul perfectly. i think it has to do with metric measurements?

Lord Maul
09-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Ultra just uses Tim's conversion kits, so your saber will have a 1 inch blade in it.

xwingband
09-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Ultra just uses Tim's conversion kits, so your saber will have a 1 inch blade in it.

No... Ultra sells the kit as a DIY option but the ones he makes (unless requested) don't use the TCSS holder.

Only on the six-celled sabers (Mace ROTS and Luke ROTJ) he uses a metal holder. The rest of the time it's stock unless requested. Thus there are no replacement blades available...

You could always bulk up a 1" to fit with tape or something, but that's not ideal. Not using a metal holder isn't either, so whatever floats your boat.

jedi1789
09-13-2007, 05:02 PM
Hey I am hopefully going to order the stuff I need to do my maul Conversion can some one give me a list of exact items? Could i use a LED Basic electric package for all the electronics?

Lord Maul
09-13-2007, 05:45 PM
linky (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/pc-896-25-mr-maul-conversion-kit.aspx)

Honestly, just try and read the store description. If you are converting both halfs of the maul, then you'll need two of everything.

jedi1789
09-13-2007, 05:50 PM
I did read it. I just wanted to know what exactly I needed. Like what thumb screw, and can i use a electric package.

Lord Maul
09-13-2007, 05:51 PM
8-32 thumbscrew. Not sure what you mean by "electric package."

xwingband
09-13-2007, 05:53 PM
No...

Look at the store description and the tutorial. There is no electronics package needed... You need the kit, LED, and optics. You need a screw to hold the blade, but use whichever one you feel like.

jedi1789
09-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Thank you X-wing.

Bescherman
09-16-2007, 03:24 PM
my digital clipers say
26.0 mm- 1.026 inch

AAH! Thank you very much!!!

As you're the man with the tools, would you please be able to tell me the inside diameter too (in inches and mm) please?

In fact, if you happen to have blade to hand, would you also be able to tell me the inside and outside diameter of a "Thick walled" blade, such as TCSS sells (also in both metric and imperial)? I ask because I'm wondering if the blade tips will fit on a metric blade as the ID will be the cricial measurement.

Sorry to just "take take take"!!! I have neither the tools nor the necessary parts to take measurements and you've been VERY kind to go to all the bother for me!

Kind regards, B.

vortextwist
09-16-2007, 07:28 PM
my digital clipers say
26.0 mm- 1.026 inch

AAH! Thank you very much!!!

As you're the man with the tools, would you please be able to tell me the inside diameter too (in inches and mm) please?

In fact, if you happen to have blade to hand, would you also be able to tell me the inside and outside diameter of a "Thick walled" blade, such as TCSS sells (also in both metric and imperial)? I ask because I'm wondering if the blade tips will fit on a metric blade as the ID will be the cricial measurement.

Sorry to just "take take take"!!! I have neither the tools nor the necessary parts to take measurements and you've been VERY kind to go to all the bother for me!

Kind regards, B.
well I am using ultra's film so I can't give you a precise # but the od is an inch and will vary blade to blade.