PDA

View Full Version : EL conversion kits

DACOTA
04-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Hey I was thinking.Once Tim has led kits for all the current mr fx's could he build el conversion kits?I dont know if anyone would like el enough to buy these but would it be possible?Or if not could we but the led ones and put in a reducer and a washer to make it el style?Im not sure if an mr board can run an el blade but some help or ideas would be great!

Lord Maul
04-26-2007, 02:52 PM
talk about a PITA for nothing...

luxs are way brighter than EL, and mr boards won't power el (unless you have the original luke rotj or ani aotc). you would need to cram in a lot of stuff for a lesser effect than lux

DACOTA
04-26-2007, 02:55 PM
It was just an idea.I like led way more but I thought maybe there is a possibility it might work but nothing.

Marsupial
04-26-2007, 07:17 PM

luxs are way brighter than EL, and mr boards won't power el (unless you have the original luke rotj or ani aotc). you would need to cram in a lot of stuff for a lesser effect than lux

Sometimes you're not out for the effect...

I know I want one of my saber to stay on all night without me worrying about heat and power consumption. This would be achieved with EL.

Do-Clo
04-26-2007, 08:25 PM

You would only need to add a relay and the el inverter, and change out the battery pack to a high voltage and you have a el MR saber, not that hard.

Lord Maul
04-26-2007, 09:42 PM
do clo, for you not hard. most of us me included, have little to no electronics experience. doing all of that would be a MAJOR undertaking for me

Jedi-Loreen
04-26-2007, 11:17 PM

I know I want one of my saber to stay on all night without me worrying about heat and power consumption. This would be achieved with EL.

What makes you think an EL saber would stay on all night? Have you seen one do that? You should only get a few hours from a set of batteries. Inverters suck a lot of battery power to change it into high frequency A/C. And there is some power wasted from the heat from that process, though not at much as from an LED.

DACOTA
04-27-2007, 09:51 AM
Dito.Maybe I'll make an el setup for an mr but I wanted it to have the origanal sound but oh well.But could I convert a stock luke to el without taking out the stock batt pack or board? :?:

Barmic Rin
04-27-2007, 10:28 AM
Good idea, certain EL colours are kinda nice, though not in the same league as Lux's.
It's not that hard converting, I changed my Luke ROTJ '03 into an EL. The effect wasn't great, though not bad.
My one gripe was that the blade looked funny in such a fat saber. Standard 3/4" blades look so delicate in a MR hilt.
The worst part was cobbling together a reducer that sat comfortably. Once it was done, I switched on, stood back, and sighed out my disappointment.
Try it if you want Dacota, but my opinion is that all the work isn't worth the result, that's why i've gutted the saber & will be bunging in an ultra kit for the led mount & erv's V2 for the effects.

Marsupial
04-27-2007, 11:37 AM

What makes you think an EL saber would stay on all night? Have you seen one do that? You should only get a few hours from a set of batteries. Inverters suck a lot of battery power to change it into high frequency A/C. And there is some power wasted from the heat from that process, though not at much as from an LED.

My main concern is heat. You don't want the saber to overheat. Period. Heat is bad for the luxeon, and keeping it on for hours will end up in accumulated heat. Unless you have a MASSIVE heatsink with fans. The EL system doesn't heat as much. I've seen EL sabers turned on for whole troopings, several hours. Of course, if you go 4Khz you have shorter lifespan, but if you have a good bat pack you have a longer one. (10 rechargeable AAs lasts a longer time then one alkaline 9V)

I plan on using one saber as a nightlight. The power would be redirected to the mains.

My point was that not everyone is for pure light effect, and I still believe some different people have different needs for their sabers. Plus, you all know that the EL is a lot easier to change colorblades then any other systems, and small things like that. There's pros and cons in all technology available out there.

I don't say EL is better the LED... most of you know I was amongst the pioneers in luxeon sabers. All I say is that everyone can make their own choices.

DACOTA
04-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Exact and fairly put. :D

Barmic Rin
04-27-2007, 07:14 PM
Mars, I was toying with the idea a while back of doing a saber nitelight. Blue blade so not so glaring, with a 'melt patch' for a base with orange EL inside.
I worked it all out to be mains powered, but never got around to it as I couldn't find an easy way of getting the base how I wanted it to allow access to the mains cable, and have a decent 'melt' effect.

May try again once I get all my other little jobs out of the way.

Marsupial
04-27-2007, 09:33 PM
Would you happen to have pictures of that melted effects, it sounds interesting.

Barmic Rin
04-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Sorry, no.
I tried various ideas, like clear silicant bathroom sealant etc. but wasn't impressed so never really documented it.
I've since become chummy with a guy that owns a shop-sign workshop, so I may have a word with him about it, see what he suggests. Still have a million & one little projects to do first.