PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to...

Devilstar2k2
01-05-2006, 11:41 AM
... miniaturize an Anakin FX? (with LED conversion)

The reason that I want to do this is because while I was learning the Lightsaber 'spins', I dropped my FX onto the hilt and the press fit piece that is at the top of the hilt was jarred loose. Also, my blade has some pretty nice scratches on it at the bottom. I figure that I can just hack this piece off, and shorten the blade length.

What I want to do is, make about a 7-8 inch hilt with a 24-26 inch blade. My only concern is fitting all of the MRFX electronics into such a small space. Thats why I'm posting here, to see if its possible, and if it has ever been done before.

I saw the Vader conversion, and from what I gather, it may just be possible... If I had the right blade holder set up. The MRFX guts will only take up about 6, of the 8 inches of the hilt (pics below for reference) leaving room for the blade holder and heat sink. *If I can find them, I didn't see any currently available on the site.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/xdm41/Minisaber.jpg

Now, my other question is, would it be easier to just use a Hasbro chip for this 'mini' saber, and just save the MRFX pieces for a later project? I'm going for a 'Yoda style' saber for my 4 year old to spin, and abuse.

And finally, depending on the internals that I use, which size resistor would I want for both the Hasbro, and MRFX? Also, would I run into any problems when cutting a length from the blade?

Thanks in advance for your help,

-Shawn

LAN-ED-TUL
01-06-2006, 04:01 AM
as far as the hasbro boards, they dont need a resistor for the led. the board already brings the current down in the range it needs to be. now if you read the post by tim on the MR conversion you would of seen he doesnt use a resistor for the led in it anymore either.
if your converting to led then it shouldnt hurt if your blade id a tad bit shorter since there will be no more electronics in the blade.

hope that answers at least part of your question.

Devilstar2k2
01-06-2006, 12:38 PM
Yeah, I read a number of posts, and they all said something different, so I wasn't sure about the resistor... For instance, the wiring diagram for the Vader conversion, DOES have a resistor wired into it. Also, I saw that Gelu said that you do need a resistor for the Hasbro conversion, otherwise it will shorten the life of the LED.

I'm not trying to debunk what you're saying, I just want to be 100% sure about it is all. Hopefully, one of those guys will see this and give me a little more insight into the situation.

But in any case, thanks for the help, and I'll keep it in mind before I go through with anything.

Thanks,

Shawn

EDIT-

Just re-read the Hasbro tut, and replaced the name 'Ultra' (in this post) with 'Gelu'... My mistake...

GeluKhanGharr
01-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Devil, here's the quick and dirty:
An LED by itself has no resistance. For that reason, if you wire one directly to a battery, it will get burned out. If your source is resistored(MR board, hasbro board, Corbin's), then you don't need another resistor. Keep in mind that not all hasbro boards add resistance to the LAMP circuit - follow the circuit and see for yourself. If in doubt, do add the resistor.
However, some of us have been looking into using a hasbro board, but wiring the LED on a separate circuit to avoid the flashing clash effect. If you go down that route, you need a resistor for sure.
I hope that answers your questions.
Anyone, if I stated anything wrong, please correct me.

Born of Sith, seduced by the light.
http://www.saloncatalina.com/images/signature.jpg

Strydur
01-06-2006, 05:07 PM
I took all reference to a resistor out of the Vader conversion tutorial a few weeks ago.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Devilstar2k2
01-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Okay... No resistor...

I still need a blade holder, and heat sink, though. Are these going to be offered again anytime soon?

EDIT-

And thanks everyone for all of the advice. [:)]

Strydur
01-06-2006, 07:15 PM
What you will want to do is buy the Vader conversion kit when I get them back on the site in a few weeks. If you look on fx-sabers.com you can find in his forums a MR yoda prototype he built after I shortened a Anakin for him. I think it is very similar to what you are trying to do.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Devilstar2k2
01-07-2006, 02:28 PM
Yup... Thats almost exactly what I'm planning on doing... Looks great!!

Thanks a bunch, and I'll keep checking back for the conversion kit. [:D]

Devilstar2k2
01-09-2006, 07:31 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Strydur

I took all reference to a resistor out of the Vader conversion tutorial a few weeks ago.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Weird stuff... When I was searching for the info that I needed, I got a page that must have been old (somehow) :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/xdm41/tutchange.jpg

Strydur
01-09-2006, 09:08 AM
Yes, looks like you got the info as I was redoing it. New picture with the old text.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Devilstar2k2
01-13-2006, 05:03 AM
Strydur/Tim,

Please disreguard my 'product inquiry' about the EL 1.5 sink tube blade holder. I didn't realize that I was in the EL section.

D'oh... [B)]