PDA

View Full Version : Strengthening MR Blades?

wrgp1983
04-25-2007, 10:46 AM
Hi, I am new to the forums and was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to strengthen the blades on MR sabers so that they are safe for dueling?

I have just got myself an MR Darth Maul Force FX (double blade) and dont really want to convert it or anything as I dont want to risk messing it up entirely, but would like to make the blades "battle ready".

I was thinking of buying some clear rubber tubing to cover the blades and protect the polycarbonate but I am not sure if this would work, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions or has anyone done something similar?

xwingband
04-25-2007, 11:10 AM
The Polycarbonate is not the problem. The LED's themselves are.

Also the Maul's blades are already nearly as thick as the 1/8" ones we normally use for dueling.

Short of casting silicone or something down the entire blade you need to convert it to be better. Putting something softer over the blade MAY help a bit... but only as a cushion. You might as well just hit less and softer.

wrgp1983
04-25-2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the quick response, based on the fact that the polycarbonate is of simialr to the dimensions of the ones you use what would you say is the likelyhood of the blades cracking with impact? Has anyone you know of actually tested the blades to breaking point?

The reason I ask is that I am part of a mixed martial arts display team that tours the uk, I would like for us to incorperate some lightsaber displays in our show both to update our show and also to give us more of a chance to branch out into things like sci fi conventions, as well as myself a few other teamates have MR lightsabers to put to use. I had suggested that using a tightly fitting rubber or silcone tube placed as a cover over the blade would give them some extra resistance so I'm really open to any suggestions or advice.

Thanks again!

jjshumpert
04-25-2007, 01:25 PM
the maul conversion kits will be available in the store with a few weeks, and doing a 3w conversion on the mr sabers is very simple. you may want to simply keep the sabers stock, the maul hilt is incredibly sturdy and has held up to dueling with my students for quite a long time. i would say work them into your routines and if you do damage the stock led strip then look into upgrading.

DACOTA
04-25-2007, 02:59 PM
I had an anakin and it didnt take much to mess up the wires inside but I have the same maul and man you can really duel that thing more than any of the fx's Ive seen.I'm gonna convert my maul with the first two tcss maul kits and I could help you with yours if you want.

supertrogdor
04-25-2007, 03:01 PM
we have a couple threads on this matter, you can search "gorilla dueling" or go to the thread index and find some further information on durability

wrgp1983
04-26-2007, 11:01 AM
Thanks to everyone for being so helpful, I was nearly expecting to be treated as a heathen or something for wanting to abuse a collectors item like that but everyone has been great!

I'm a little dubious in terms of upgrading because i'm no genius in terms of electronics and I wouldn't want to damage it beyond repair as I forked out £150 GB for it (about $290 US, goddamn UK prices are over the top!!!) but I'll see how things go!

I'm pretty confident about the hilt being good and sturdy, my only concern is the blades! I've searched for reviews on the sabers but none of them go into great detail about durability apart from quoting what it says on the leaflet supplied in the box! I'll have to check out gorilla dueling for sure.

I'm guessing a lot of people responding to this post are in a similar situation to me in terms of performing displays, have any of you posted videos anywhere so I can get an idea of the sort of level current displays are at?

Thanks again everone!!!

vortextwist
04-26-2007, 01:00 PM
the conversions for the maul's are stupid simple. run a wire and solder a couple of times and your done.

Novastar
04-26-2007, 08:05 PM
Taking apart the MRs is the hardest part. If that can be called "hard".

Especially when Tim offers tutorials for almost every MR saber out there.