PDA

View Full Version : MR speaker sound

Marsupial
04-24-2007, 10:55 AM
let say you take the batterypack / speaker holder from a MRFX saber.

is it better to keep the protective case around the speaker, or to break that cage and have the free speaker?

Ryma Mara
04-24-2007, 12:04 PM
Well you can attempt to gently remove the speaker from the case but thats doutefull. Whats teh plan for the case?

Madcow
04-24-2007, 07:37 PM
Keep it as is...
unless you have a well designed enclosure made for the speaker. Speakers depend on a proper "casing" to work best.

MC

Novastar
04-25-2007, 12:15 AM
Actually, it doesn't really matter.

What matters most is how you setup a resonance cavity inside the hilt in order to best "serve" the speaker.

Space forward of and behind the speaker will be most ideal. In some cases, MR speakers are not used to their full potential.

However, mini-high powered that are 36mm and above will blow the MR speaker away. The source I have for getting these is pretty gnarley, and although I like MR speakers... these are 10x better! :)

Marsupial
04-25-2007, 10:10 AM
I have some room between the speaker and pommel (wich I had more) and some behind (well, the space left from the batt pack)

Problem I forsee with the MR pack is that its enclosed with only one way out, the back being sealed closed. I don't mind hitting the dremel to get the speaker out, but only if it will serves me.

Novastar
04-25-2007, 04:34 PM
I know exactly what you mean Mars... :)

I can tell you from experience that there IS a way to free the speaker from the battery pack safely--you just need to look carefully and cut where it would be appropriate.

Remember the speaker is only a thin "disc". The rest of the stuff won't matter much. Just don't cut the wires too far down.

This is (naturally) hard to explain in words, but I can tell you that I've freed 5 MR speakers from their corresponding battery packs. I did this on any 6AA packs I had, seeing as that was a grand waste of space & wiring in my eyes. I then connected the speakers to whatever setup I chose.

This also gets you resonance BEHIND the speaker--which you simply cannot with the present way MR packs are designed.

jjshumpert
04-25-2007, 04:58 PM
if by some freak accident you do pull the wires off the mr speaker its a pretty easy fix. if you look close there are 2 little solder pads on the speaker basket, it really doesnt matter which side is + or -, but be warned the solder pads have to hold a good connection to both the wire leads AND the speaker basket. most 28mm speakers will have black plastic melted onto the solder points on the basket, when a wire gets pulled loose i take the tip of my iron and slide it across the plastic where the wire was attached and it will expose the solder joint on the basket...

Novastar
04-25-2007, 07:06 PM
Agreed, JJ... only--I recall having to do that a few times on some other MR speakers of mine... and somehow things "chipped" off on the little PCB or whatever is down there. Wrecked the speaker... :( Booooo...

Oh well, they aren't all THAT great. I like the 36mm ones I have access to much better. Erv was amazed by their output range and data too. Well, they're 36mm, what do we expect.

jjshumpert
04-25-2007, 07:16 PM
are you shure there nova, there isnt a pcb in the battery module on mr sabers

Novastar
04-29-2007, 12:40 PM
Very sure--although if you mean to say the super tiny PCB on the speaker itself... that is just to separate the speaker leads as far as I know.

I have cut apart several MR packs, and again--I'm just saying in my experience, I've not ruined any of them by being careful, but in some cases had to cut into the plastic battery case like a monster.

However--some of the speakers have gone bad over time--but I never figured out why. Others (cut apart in similar fashion) are still "alive". I don't get it, lol.

Finally--I still prefer 36mm or larger speakers. :)