PDA

View Full Version : sound board

vortextwist
04-19-2007, 07:01 PM
I was doing an conversion of an mr and somehow scrached the back of the board and the connection to the clash sensor now does not work. my question is can I just put some solder there? what is the best way?

pockets
04-19-2007, 07:15 PM
solder is non conductive, you wanna use a conductive metal if you broke a connection ON the board. i'm not to sure how you'd do that though.

Firebird21
04-19-2007, 07:32 PM
solder is non conductive...

What kind of solder are you using?

Jedi-Loreen
04-19-2007, 07:36 PM
Solder isn't nonconductive. Whatever gave you that idea? That makes no sense. If it was, then circuit boards wouldn't work, the solder would act like an insulator around the component leads. Solder is what connects the leads to the pads electrically, not just physically, to make the connections.

Find out where the trace is broken from being scratched and take a thin wire, or even just a strand from a stranded wire and solder it between the open parts of the trace to bridge the connection. Be careful not to use too much solder if the trace is very thin and close to another trace, or component, or you might end up creating a short to another component.

vortextwist
04-19-2007, 07:51 PM
the break runs legthwise the board. really nothing real close. when I put my little flat head screwdriver in the break then the clash works.

Edit: well I just went ahead and ran a jumper wire across the back of the board and works.

Ryma Mara
04-19-2007, 09:15 PM
sweet. Hay Iam wondering if you want me to take a compleat board and speaker with me saturday evening and see if I can sell it to adem?

erv
04-20-2007, 01:25 AM
Loreen is right, this is really easy to repair a PCB trace with a bit of solder. The pcb might be covered by solder stop masks, a green varnish that protects the board. Sand carefully the trace, 1 or 2 mm before and after the broken part of the trace. I use the edge of a sharp blade, like an Xacto knife for instance.
Put some solder on each side of the broken trace, and put the iron in the middle while adding a bit more of soldering. Due to the weight of the solder and capilarity, it will make a single drop and an electrical bridge. If the gap is to important, use a little piece of wire, or any resistor terminal to make the appropriate repair brigde / strap.

Funny, this line about solder isn't conductive. I haven't received something that weird since a fan said on a french forum that he would have soon a saber made out of TEFLON, because his friend ONLY machine TEFLON. Funny enough by itself, but then someone said that it was a nice idea, teflon is really good, cause pans and sauce pans are FULLY made of teflon (the person did not know that teflon was just a coating).
Well, I'm not throwing rocks at anybody, it's just that sometimes, before saying "bits of truth" like that, turning 7 times your tongue in your mouth would be nice (as we say in french).

vortextwist
04-20-2007, 04:56 AM
sweet. Hay Iam wondering if you want me to take a compleat board and speaker with me saturday evening and see if I can sell it to adem?

maybe I'lll talk to ya later.

thanks erv

Lord Maul
04-20-2007, 02:39 PM
I haven't received something that weird since a fan said on a french forum that he would have soon a saber made out of TEFLON, because his friend ONLY machine TEFLON. Funny enough by itself, but then someone said that it was a nice idea, teflon is really good, cause pans and sauce pans are FULLY made of teflon (the person did not know that teflon was just a coating).

http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_roflmfao.gif
that is funny erv.
you should of asked the guy to post pics of his machined teflon projects :shock: