PDA

View Full Version : New to costuming - Darth Siddistu's birth...UPDATED 4/24

Jonitus
04-19-2007, 11:51 AM
I'm kind of holding this space for right now. Since I am on a hold pattern as far as building sabers is concerned, I decided it was time to put together my costume. I have the time.

:roll:

Last weekend, a stroll through JoAnn garnered me nearly 7 yards of black wool blend suiting fabric. At $2.99 per yard, I snatched it up. I have all but the sleeves of my robe laid out and cut out. I'm having a tough time trying to track down a few more yards of the same fabric to make sleeves out of, but I am hopeful I can find some. It is a nice fabric. It hangs well, has no elasticity, and seems as though it will flow nicely. I am using Simplicity 4550 for my pattern, but I have stretched the hood and plan on making my sleeves closer to the shape as used by Mace Windu.

The rest of the costume has me a bit confused. Too many options. I have no love of the Jedi, so it will be a Sith costume.

The one idea I have going through my head is this:

A simple black undertunic, sleeveless.

Black tabbards in leather

Black obi and a failry narrow belt

Hakama

Black leather gauntlets

...and that's it.

I'm working up a sketch of sorts to illustrate my idea of the outfit as worn under the robe, but any feedback is welcome.

ETA (4/19/07): Here's a sketch of what I am imagining. I am no fashion designer, so keep it in mind when looking this design over. I am open to suggestions, criticism, tiny pickles thrown at me in reverence, etc.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b76/sixmilliondollarman/Darth_Siddistu.png

vortextwist
04-19-2007, 11:59 AM
I think the sleaveless and the gaultlets would look cool. I was thinkin of using gauntlets some how.

fau-pa ramid
04-19-2007, 12:26 PM
i think you should have lots of static parts to it that are like strips of faberic not necisarilly throuwn on there but you know what i mean. so when you move they will bounce around and make you look more fearsome. like around the waist and well if you were going to have sleaves. :wink:

hang on ima go get some pics.

Jonitus
04-19-2007, 12:56 PM
If I did something like that around the waist, I would go for a black belt, similar in style to a Roman cinculum.

Ryma Mara
04-19-2007, 05:48 PM
The bottem looks like like a holia.

I would say with the bottem make it like a knighs surcoat that goes to the tops of the boots. I think that tied with the tabbards and the obi/belt would look sweet.

Jonitus
04-20-2007, 04:08 AM
I'm avoiding boots with this costume. At most, I might wear a set of tabi socks.

Barmic Rin
04-20-2007, 04:29 AM
Get yourself a pair of Tabi boots. You'd probably be set back around $45 for them.
I find my Tabi's can twist slightly between the toes if I wear them too long. Maybe I shouldn't wear them with my work shoes.

I think afew loose strands would look kinda cool for the Hakama, kinda like Darth Nihl in the Legacy comics.
Up to you though really...

Once CE & one or two other projects are out the way, I think Darth Vetous may show his face.... :evil:

supertrogdor
04-20-2007, 07:15 AM
*reverently tosses gurkin in Jonitus' general direction* and other than that i think you have a grand costume going on. A few questions i have are what material are you using for your hakama, how thick do you plan on making your obi, and did you have a pattern to start with, or did this costume hatch itself in the deep recesses of your cranial mass?

Jonitus
04-20-2007, 07:29 AM
Grand questions. Let me see if I can answer them.

The overall design for the costume just kind of sprang up from my coffee-enhanced brain a few months ago, but I kept tight-lipped about it until now.

For the Hakama, I want to go with a lightweight fabric. I hope to go with a cotton/synthetic blend. First, for ease of care, second, pleats will be easy to do, and also fading will be not so much of an issue.

The Obi...I am picturing a padded Obi. Perhaps 1/4" thick by the time all is said and done. I want to put a backing of some sort in them to keep them fairly rigid, but it may not be necessary depending on the fabric. I either want a very distinct weave for the obi, or a very smooth fabric.

The sleeveless under tunic will most likely be just a simple black lycra shirt like the kind used for workout clothing.

I haven't decided entirely on colors. It is supposed to be a Sith costume of sorts, but I thought maybe I could refrain from going all black. Perhaps an oxblood color for the Obi. I don't know.

Do-Clo
04-20-2007, 09:45 AM
The deisgn looks really good, on the red color I would not use a lot of red material on the costume it would loose the sith feel. I think a red belt would be a nice accent to the costume and yet still remain very sith like.

Ryma Mara
04-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Blood red belt with blood red tabards. black tunic, black bottem section. dark gray almost a dark charcoal would make a good ITunic.

Barmic Rin
04-20-2007, 03:39 PM
I'll side with Do-clo on this, red accents are what you need.
Blood red is too bright, a much darker, near maroon would look more in-line with Sith.
True, Maul & the legacy sith all have bright red tattoos, but i'm really not a fan of that shade.

Maul was supposed to be expendable & a blunt object. Sidious knew this & that's why he trained him like that. If caught or killed the markings would send a clear message to the jedi: WE'RE BACK!

I guess Jan Duursema has stuck to the same type pf red to carry on tradition within universe.

I will have a much darker red on my Vetous robes.

Ryma Mara
04-20-2007, 10:01 PM
Iam rather cureious about your tabards.

Are you gonna have them come togeather sew'n then branch it off in smaller tabbards? or just over lap them then make them smaller?

Jonitus
04-23-2007, 06:30 AM
Iam rather cureious about your tabards.

Are you gonna have them come togeather sew'n then branch it off in smaller tabbards? or just over lap them then make them smaller?

Instead of the standard way tabbards and the obi are worn, I am going to construct mine as though it were a vest of sorts. I'll put either a snap closure or a velcro closure on it.

Jonitus
04-23-2007, 06:34 AM
I worked on my robe this weekend. I had all the pieces except my sleeves cut out. I found some more of the same wool blend suiting fabric on Saturday, so I cut the sleeves out and began sewing. The back pieces are sewn together, the fronts are sewn to the back at the shoulder seams, and the hood is constructed. I think I can finish the robe next weekend and then perhaps snap a picture or two for your review.

So far, the robe has a nice weight, and it flows wonderfully. I am glad I sized the hood as large as I did, because I think the look will be amazing when finally completed.

The only difficulty I am having is with the sewing instructions provided by Simplicity (the lack thereof). I am following the tutorial on force.net moreso than Simplicity's directions.

Ryma Mara
04-23-2007, 02:07 PM
Sweet, good luck.

Jonitus
04-24-2007, 06:18 AM
The robe is all but completed. I finished sewing the sleeves to the body, sewing the side seams, closing the sleeves, sewing the hood to the body (complete with pleats). It is a robe. I am stuck, however, for how to sew the strip that hides the stitching of the hood to the body of the robe.

Also, based on my height and measurement of chest, I sized the robe as a LARGE, but I do believe I will need to pleat the back to bring the shoulders in line where they should be.

If someone could give me a clue about the collar strip, like a good picture or something, I would appreciate it.

Pics soon.

Jay-gon Jinn
04-24-2007, 07:41 AM
Are you asking about this:

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/dark-brown-jedi-robe-6.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/dark-brown-jedi-robe-7.jpg

If so, I'll see if I can find my instructions from the pattern we used for this, it may show how to do it. I think the term for it is "basting," but I'm not 100% sure about that.

I think I have some pics from my other robe somewhere, just need to find them and get them uploaded to photobuckeet. they may show it in better detail.

Jonitus
04-24-2007, 07:48 AM
Yep, that's the piece.

What I did, is I pleated the hood and pinned it to the body of the robe. Then, I zig-zag stitched along that whole seam. I took my collar binding strip and straight stitched it to that afforementioned seam, but now I'm stuck about whether I fold it over itself, then over the seam and then stitch once again, or what.

I know I want to hide the ugly seam when the hood is down (or up).

Also, how much of a hem do you have on the bottom of your robe? As mine is right now, it touches the floor, but only just. I am afraid of hemming it too much and making it too short. Also, for the hem, wouldn't a double folded hem look better than a simple single-fold hem?

Jay-gon Jinn
04-24-2007, 07:49 AM
Here's my only other pic of the hood seam:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/jedi-robe-hood-seams.jpg
I'll still try to find those instructions, and if they show how to do it, I'll scan 'em and post 'em for you.

Jonitus
04-25-2007, 10:06 AM
I'm putting the robe aside for a few days to give my head a chance to clear. I have the sneaking suspicion that I will have to hand stitch the collar strip. I'm not looking forward to that. I still think the robe will look cool when it's done.

Now, for a different question. Once the robe is done, it is time for the hakama to get constructed. Instructions are somewhat hard to come by online. I have the samurai matsuri site bookmarked, but the instructions seem kind of obscure. Does anybody here have a better site that has sewing instructions for hakama?

They are being constructed out of a 50% silk 50% rayon fabric that is surprisingly muted in shine, very smooth and seems as though it will flow and give the illusion of floating when dueling.

Ryma Mara
04-25-2007, 12:18 PM
http://www.folkwear.com/151.html

Jay-gon Jinn
04-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Also, how much of a hem do you have on the bottom of your robe? As mine is right now, it touches the floor, but only just. I am afraid of hemming it too much and making it too short. Also, for the hem, wouldn't a double folded hem look better than a simple single-fold hem?
Sorry I didn't answer sooner, but I just saw this tonight. My robe is hemmed to give me 2 inches of floor clearance. It helps kepp me and other people from stepping on it, especially when going up or down a flight of steps. It was also folded twice, to hide the raw edge of the fabric.

Jonitus
05-11-2007, 04:36 AM
After wearing the robe for an extended period the other day, I have come to the conclusion that I don't like it. Being made of suiting wool, it's too heavy. It drapes like it should and flows like it needs to, but it's way too heavy for wear.

I was able to make a Hakama, but also my choice of materials was poor. The stitches won't hold in the material, except for the crotch which has a double-overlock.

Good thing my materials were cheap for both of these costume failures. I did lose a lot of hours on the machine making them, but I'll chalk it up to practice.

I tracked down some black cotton/poly blend with a neat weave and coloration. It was so cheap I bought 20 yards of it. I figure I can easily get a robe, Hakama and perhaps more out of it. It's only 45" wide, and my pattern is laid out on 60", so that's why the extra material.

supertrogdor
05-11-2007, 07:20 AM
Too bad it did not work out how you had initially hoped, Jonitus. Here's hoping round two meets your expectations. We do anticipate some pictures, as your previously posted concept drawings were quite stellar.

Jonitus
05-11-2007, 07:33 AM
It was kind of funny last evening when I was at the fabric store with the girlfriend. She was looking for some Muslin for a quilt she's making, but tracked me down in the store and handed me a bolt of the same cotton/poly blend in a rusty brown color and I said "what's this for?" and she promptly replied "for my robe".

I was kind of flabbergasted. She's the first one to fire up a new saber coming out of the shop and I have been bruised on more than one occasion by her strikes, but she's never been quite as delectably geeky as she was last night. I decided that since I was buying fabric for hers that I might as well buy more for mine as well.

Believe me, there will be photographs taken once the costume is completed. I found a wonderful nubuck imitation last night in a deep maroon color with a reptilian texture that I think would be perfect for the tabbard-type vest for the costume. Once the costume is completed, and provided I can gain some sort of a tan (since there are no sleeves or tunic under the tabbards), then pictures will soon follow.

...looks like I am going to have to build a costume saber.

Jay-gon Jinn
05-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Once bitten by the costuming bug, you're infected for life! :lol:

Too bad about the wool, maybe it will be handy in cooler weather, though. I have a black robe made from a cotton/poly blend and it's comfotable to wear. I should take some better pictures of it and post them sometime. You can see some of it here. (http://www.saberknights.com/members/jay-gonjinn/darksidecostume.htm)