PDA

View Full Version : I Think that I've got it!!My lightsaber is done!!

DaJoQuim
04-15-2007, 09:23 AM
Hey everyone!!
Well as everyone knows;I've been working on a saber for the last few months And thanks to the people on this forum such as tim;x-wingband;and the darthmorbius and my family;I've got my first one done!!So;here we go---- :D
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o41/DaJoQuim/DSCF0853.jpg
First of all I made the hilt from a mag light shell and I really love the way that it looks!!
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o41/DaJoQuim/DSCF0854.jpg
As you can see I've made a few holes for my sound to be heard;which;is from an anakin rots.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o41/DaJoQuim/DSCF0855.jpg
I really love the amber lux-3 that I bought from tim's store!!
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o41/DaJoQuim/DSCF0858.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o41/DaJoQuim/DSCF0857.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o41/DaJoQuim/DSCF0856.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o41/DaJoQuim/DSCF0862.jpg
Wow I really love the blade that I bought from here!!The grips that I bought from tim's store are the best!!

Ryma Mara
04-15-2007, 09:37 AM
Kool

Lord Maul
04-15-2007, 10:15 AM
nice. i was wondering if you would get pics up. i've always been a fan of mag sabers

DaJoQuim
04-15-2007, 10:27 AM
:lol: Does this make me a member of fsm?Thanks for the kind words lord maul!! 8)

Ryma Mara
04-15-2007, 10:31 AM
Well the FSM thing was about hyper calling anything lux led a flashlight but this takes FSM to a whole new level.

LOL Master FSM level, sence its an actual flashlight :P

Lord Maul
04-15-2007, 10:44 AM
http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_spit.gif

ROFLCOPTERS (to elrond) ryma!!

that is true though, since it was a flashlight

DaJoQuim
04-15-2007, 05:28 PM
:lol: Then I'm a proud master member of fsm lol!! :)

fau-pa ramid
04-15-2007, 06:12 PM
looks clean bro good job! :D i hope mine looks that good. :wink:

987654321a
04-15-2007, 08:01 PM
nice job bro, i really like it, a question about mag flashlites? do tcss holders fit perfectly in them or what?

Jay-gon Jinn
04-15-2007, 09:09 PM
Well, that was worth the wait! Nicely done my friend!

DaJoQuim
04-17-2007, 03:49 AM
8) thanks guys for the kind words and no to your question jedi master and this was not tim's fault it was mine!!You have to mill this holder to a 1.349 or maybe buy tim's holder that is a 1.29 !!I've learned my lession on this one;and;I was lucky to have people at my work place that milled it for me!! 8)

Novastar
04-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Nice work DaJoQuim!

I actually had thought you'd wired up your own before... am I wrong? If I am, fantastic--it's always great to tackle sound, cool hilt, recharge, and all that for a first saber and a lot of experience!

As to milling/grinding parts--as far as I know, I've almost always found that the case when building a saber. Being creative and customizing things is part of building sabers.

I've rarely had a design plan go exactly the way I wanted it to go. There were always snags, errors, sizing problems, wiring issues and all that.

The only exception is (strangely) the FIRST saber I ever wired up, which was a Vader conversion with TCSS mount/LED and stripping down the hilt to make a good staged combat saber... including ripping off the switch box to install a recessed latching switch.

I didn't know how to solder at that point (about a year ago), and all I did was strip wires, twist 'em, and tape them up. It had to be done, otherwise we would not have had enough sabers for BOP I...

...the saber has STILL yet to fail even once, lol! (knock on wood)

Lord Maul
04-17-2007, 02:38 PM
I've rarely had a design plan go exactly the way I wanted it to go. There were always snags, errors, sizing problems, wiring issues and all that.

i know what ya mean. for my MHS, i was expecting to be swimming in room, but i'm gonna be lucky to get it all in there :shock: i will have a millimeter of leftover space i bet

fau-pa ramid
04-17-2007, 03:21 PM
im going to get my middle piece custom made for that very reason. i hope it works out.

DaJoQuim
04-17-2007, 06:36 PM
:D thanks for the kind words guys and yes novastar It's my first wire -up job on a lightsaber;and;at 47 years old I'm having a blast doing this!!My friends at work say that they can't believe that I made my hilt from a mag-light shell!! 8)

Novastar
04-17-2007, 06:54 PM
Hey, kudos DaJoQuim... size matters not. Age matters not.

Besides, 5 years ago--the Luxeon technology was not really all that nifty for sabers. Now... well, that's a different story.

This is one reason why I waited quite a bit before doing Balance of Power. The idea itself was "born" WELL before Episode II or III. But I only started to think about it when I had the funding, choreography in mind... and then I finally learned about light sabers in general.

I didn't even know about Force FX sabers until something like 2002. Barely though. :)

Now watch out--saber making is ADDICTIVE!!! You'll be making #2 soon enough. ;)

DaJoQuim
04-18-2007, 03:10 AM
8) Yes I know all to well about doing another one due to the fact that I've bought an empty luke rotj hilt and I'm making this my own!!Anyway It's fun to me just putting one together!!This time novastar I know what to not to do lol!! :wink:

Novastar
04-18-2007, 11:32 AM
You'll have that thinking more and more, believe me!

After wiring up like 7 or 8 sabers at this point (and repairing nearly EACH and every other one I've bought), I learn something new every time.

Some good thoughts:

1. Lay out your wiring AHEAD of time.
2. Lay out your hilt parts just above that wiring so that you can see the conceivable space available.
3. Most importantly, ensure that you have at least one or two "easy disconnects" of some kind (most likely for the speaker and LED.

That is how I'm trying to do it from now on... :)

DaJoQuim
04-18-2007, 04:36 PM
8) May I ask you a question?What in the world is the best way to make the wires tight;so;they will not slip out?I've read heat srink;but;is that how you do it?I'm trying to learn something new from you!!Thanks 8)

Lord Maul
04-18-2007, 04:58 PM
heatshrink is the best. what you do is.

1)BEFORE soldering, slide a bit of it over one of the wires
2)solder the wires
3)slide the heatshrink over the soldered joint
4)use either a heat gun or what i use, a butane cigar lighter. if you use a lighter, be sure to keep the flame away from the heatshrink, or it will burn

Jedi-Loreen
04-18-2007, 05:55 PM
And, when you are soldering, make sure your piece of heat shrink doesn't slip down near where you're soldering, or the heat on the wire, or from the soldering iron can start to shink your heat shrink tubing before you're ready.

Firebird21
04-18-2007, 05:58 PM
And, when you are soldering, make sure your piece of heat shrink doesn't slip down near where you're soldering, or the heat on the wire, or from the soldering iron can start to shrink your heat shrink tubing before you're ready.

Yeah, that's irritating... :evil: :roll:

If you act fast enough you may still be able to get it over the joint while it's still soft.

DaJoQuim
04-18-2007, 06:00 PM
8) What kind of solder do you use lord maul?My father in law told me that he has some rc car solder that you can heat up with a lighter and it works good!I was just wondering!! 8)

Lord Maul
04-18-2007, 06:02 PM
use rosin core solder. it works good. i would also get a good iron for it. anything lighter or coldheat applied, generally doesn't work great.

DaJoQuim
04-18-2007, 06:09 PM
Thanks everyone for the info;and;I must do the small wires that come from the module to the switch because for some reason it keeps coming out!!I'm going to in a month or two show this saber on good morning tampa bay on fox-13 in tampa florida and I will die if those wires slip out lol!! 8)

Novastar
04-18-2007, 07:21 PM
The gauge of wire can be important as well when hand-soldering.

Personally, I prefer thicker wire wherever possible, but that sometimes leads to problems when parts are small. When buying wire, don't forget to CHECK that it's "stranded" not solid. I've bought wire on many occasions, and one time got "lazy & quick". Too quick--I bought solid! :)

Also, I do not bother with the wire heatshrink/little plastic tubes. It's pointless if you make an excellent solder joint, and wrap it with electrical tape in a tight but well-done fashion.

I also TEST every solder joint I make. I mean I literally YANK on it, tug it at angles, and bend it...

If it comes out--take one BLOODY GUESS at what would happen if you dueled with it. Now granted, the tugging is within reason, but please people... these solders undergo abuse that hand-soldering was never meant to endure.

And also--be CREATIVE when soldering. You do NOT have to make a "line"... you can make a sort of "Y" shape if you like. This is hard to explain in words, but just know that you can do any number of things to strengthen the joint...

You can even twist the two wire ends together BEFORE "tinning"... and THEN get the solder to flow into the wire. This can be tricky, but also effective in preventing breakage. Also--you can even "loop" the wires together first (essentially making a quasi 'knot'), and THEN tin/solder.

This doesn't mean any one thing here is good, bad, ugly or pretty. It just means try what works for YOU and your experiences.

I've found that (much like life)--I use a multitude of techniques to keep the wires the way I want them, depending on the situation.

So... use decent gauge wire (I use 20 or 22).. test your solders... be creative... and have FUN! :)

jjshumpert
04-18-2007, 08:18 PM
when dealing with the 24 gauge wires used in mr modules i like to slide a piece of heatshrink over one of the wires and twist together the two wires your wanting to solder. i use a spade shaped tip on my iron, i square off the end of the tip and cut a small triangle into the end. apply solder directly to the tip and drag the wires thru the triangular cutout and it will solder it cleanly. then fold your joint over onto the wire and slide your heatshrink over it. in a pinch a bic lighter will work, but as lord maul said dont let the flame get to close to the heatshrink or wire, or it will burn.

hope i was of some help...

DaJoQuim
04-19-2007, 02:53 AM
8) Thanks for the info everyone;and;I will do this right this time!! :D

Lord Maul
04-19-2007, 02:42 PM
i don't use a bic JJ, i use a butane jet flame one :twisted: :twisted:
don't got the funds for a heat gun

jjshumpert
04-19-2007, 02:53 PM
well i would be willing to say that every home has at least one bic lighter in it... at least thats what i meant by using a bic in a pinch

Lord Maul
04-19-2007, 03:04 PM
bics are fun to throw rocks on. when the case breaks, you can see the shockwave created by the gas :shock:
lots of fun doing that kinda stuff...

DaJoQuim
04-19-2007, 04:23 PM
:D I was wondering guys about the new blade holder 1.25 and heat sink.Does all the led's here fit in there or do you have to buy smaller ones?Also will this 1.25 holder fit in a masterreplicas hilt?Thanks guys for all the info!! :?

jjshumpert
04-19-2007, 04:34 PM
the 1.25 uses all the same stars and optics, but isnt made to work directly with the mr hilts. you can mill one down and it will fit inside a luke mr, im using one in a luke hilt right now until tim's conversion is done. i would assume since it works in the luke it would also work in the obi, but like i said it took alot of milling to get the holder to fit.

DaJoQuim
04-19-2007, 05:22 PM
8) I don't know a whole lot on metal so are you saying that a 1.25 is bigger than a 1.34 or do I have this wrong?I don't understand this concept. :?

Lord Maul
04-19-2007, 05:34 PM
1.34 is bigger than 1.25

we are talking about the outer diameter (the outside edge) in inches. so, a 1.25 blade holder is 1.25 inches outer diameter

hope that helps.

BTW, you do know what the diameter of a circle is, right?

DaJoQuim
04-19-2007, 06:26 PM
8) Yes lord maul ;but; I could not understand why a blade holder such as tim's new 1.25 could not fit a masterreplicas luke hilt ;but;this would fit my mag-light hilt when my mag light hilt went like a 1.349 in the inside circumference!!Am I not reading this right?I'm wanting to buy a small blade holder for my next saber which I will make out of a masterreplicas luke rotj empty hilt!!Now I'm not making a luke rotj out of this;but;instead make a complete saber of my own;and;for 10.00 paid for this hilt;I can't go wrong!!Thanks lord maul for your help!! 8) :D

Lord Maul
04-20-2007, 02:29 PM
buy ultra's kit if you're in a hurry. or you could wait for tim to make one if you are in no hurry.

yes, a 1.25 blade holder would fit inside your mag light, but it would be a little bit loose. you idealy want to match up the OD of the blade holder, and the ID of the hilt almost perfectly, with the blade holder being just slightly smaller

987654321a
04-20-2007, 03:23 PM
again as we state many times its rude to tim to say "oh go buy from ___" this forum is linked to a store.

pockets
04-20-2007, 05:44 PM
again as we state many times its rude to tim to say "oh go buy from ___" this forum is linked to a store.

as he currently doesnt sell the kit the guy is looking for, how could it be rude to recommend he buy one that is sold somewhere else. it doesnt adversely effect tim's sales, because he doesnt sell what this guy needs.

987654321a
04-20-2007, 05:57 PM
yes i totally understand what your saying but still even its still rude to say something like that.

DaJoQuim
04-20-2007, 07:01 PM
8) hey guys I've into buying from tim's store ;but;I'm just trying to get this right the first time and I'm just asking questions so I can get all kinds of point of view!!I love all the info and points of views here and so far this saber was the result!!What I'm doing next is making a saber from an empty masterreplicas luke rotj hilt and I'm making not a luke mind you but I want to make a cool different saber of my own and I will do just that!!Thanks guys for the input!! 8)

Lord Maul
04-20-2007, 07:24 PM

i gave him two options. if he wants to get it done ASAP, his only real option is ultra or JSS. if he doesn't need it for a while, he can wait for tim. he said his will be done before the 1st quarter of the year.

i don't really see how that's rude, but tim or corbin can edit my post if they feel it is.

jjshumpert
04-20-2007, 07:34 PM
the obi / maul kits will be in the shop sometime around the end of next week, and i can tell you that the id of the maul and luke are the same if you use the mr luke emitter pieces. your best bet will be to get the kit, which will fit the hilt body you have to work with.

987654321a
04-20-2007, 08:05 PM
now that i think of it its not rude so nvm

DaJoQuim
04-20-2007, 08:38 PM
8) thanks guys and I did that soder job on the saber wire connections and now it's working fine!!Hey jss you were talking about the maul kit is it going to be for sale here? :?

Lord Maul
04-20-2007, 11:42 PM
dajo, yes, the maul kit will be for sale soon.

CD, i knew that once ya reread it, it wouldn't seem as bad :wink:

DACOTA
04-21-2007, 08:20 AM
Yeah I sent Tim half of my Maul so he could design the kits and he says about a week. :D I asked him again and he said soon.I cant wait to convert mine and post it for a guys. :D

DaJoQuim
04-21-2007, 01:09 PM
8) Wow dacota that saber will be cool when you get this done!!Could you post how you did it pics so maybe I can convert mine? 8)

kinchar bamin
04-29-2007, 12:05 PM
nice work on that saber 8) looks like a smooth job there but much you still have to learn as do I . still a kick ass saber tho 8/10 :wink:

DaJoQuim
04-29-2007, 05:34 PM
nice work on that saber 8) looks like a smooth job there but much you still have to learn as do I . still a kick ass saber tho 8/10 :wink:

Thanks for the kind words my friend;and;yes I agree with you on much more to learn;but;as the years roll on and I've built a few of them they will only get better I'm sure!!I don't know about you;but;I think that the new sound board from ultra sabers will put all of us saber builders on another level!!I'm really excited about the new sounds that this board has!! :D

kinchar bamin
04-30-2007, 01:28 PM
im not gonna add sound to my saber. Im on a tight budget of $70(around£40) my mum dont want me to go crazy wit the money.Ive got my SATs this year and for each level 5 I get £50. Ive already got 3 lvl 5s so im gonna spend £150 at celebration europe or get a sound module :D :D :D :D :D :!: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Barmic Rin
05-01-2007, 07:27 AM
Use it on buttered toast dude!
We'll all be at CE representing, FSM style!!!

Have the day off 2mo, so FINALLY squeezing Toast into my MHS.
Then, just have to powdercoat grip rings & try out Lee filters with my Blue LED to get a unique shade!