PDA

View Full Version : Light Tech Sound Module

Macen
04-13-2007, 05:06 PM
Hey everybody;

I was just curious if anyone here has had one of their modules or knows anything about them.

i've been to their site and the hum doesn't sound right. Would you guys recomend these modules?

I was thinking of getting the kit and making one. The hum is what's holding me back.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

vortextwist
04-13-2007, 05:21 PM
well If you don't like the sound I wouldn't get it. You would just be disapointed. You don't like the mr soundcards?

Macen
04-13-2007, 05:33 PM
yes, and i likeErv's too, i just don't want to buy a new MR saber just for the sound board. I haven't seen any broken one's on ebay i could salvage.

I'll have to check...

Thanks for the reply.

vortextwist
04-13-2007, 05:36 PM
no prob man, just have to look at the right time.

elrond.406
04-13-2007, 05:50 PM
yes, and i likeErv's too, i just don't want to buy a new MR saber just for the sound board. I haven't seen any broken one's on ebay i could salvage.

Strydur sells the the luke (ROTJ?) sound board in his store for $40. :wink:

FYI! The link to The Custom Saber Shop is http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/default.aspx or click on the http://thecustomsabershop.com/forum/templates/subSilver/images/enter.jpg sign. (I was nice 8) )

Ryma Mara
04-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Yeah but last time I checked he was out of stock.

Lord Maul
04-13-2007, 06:21 PM
nimrod, if you would actually LOOK you would see that they are 45$ and have been out of stock for a MONTH! :evil:

vortextwist
04-13-2007, 06:50 PM
that is why I'm hangin on to my extras 8) :lol:

Lord Maul
04-13-2007, 06:54 PM
i have a vader esb board, no speaker or shock sensor. i'll probably sell it at some point in time, i have no use for it at all.
i wonder if anyone would even buy it...

vortextwist
04-13-2007, 06:55 PM
put it on ebay

Lord Maul
04-13-2007, 06:58 PM
i'm too lazy. :lol:
anyways, with ebay's fees, i'd rather just sell it to someone not on ebay if they make me an offer.

Jay-gon Jinn
04-13-2007, 09:41 PM
Would a Hasbro clash sensor work on it? I might be interested in it. That's the board I have in my custom saber and it's better than nothing....or a Hasbro.

Lord Maul
04-13-2007, 10:26 PM
a hasbro sensor would probably work on it. somebody else could confirm

erv
04-14-2007, 01:32 AM
Any "spring sensor" (funny, since it's in a foreign language for me, I often think about what a "winter" sensor could be ??? Peltier effect Plate with a thermocouple, probably :mrgreen: ).
The clash is detected by a closing electrical contact (means that it's N.O. = Normally Open). It can even be "manually triggered" by a push button (momentary).
The only point about "compatibility" is the sensitivity of the sensor, but a hasbro one is used as well in a saber, no reason it would not work. You can even make your own sensor. Take a ball-pen spring or something even more flexible, like a pull-back spring from an old VCR / Walkman / tape deck mechanical system, solder it on a piece of PCB or bakelite (salvaged from the same hardware as the spring), a put a central pin in the middle, use a steel needle for instance. If the spring is not flexible enough and then it's hard to get a clash effect, you can weight the spring a bit at its end. Make the spring a bit longer than the central pin and glue some weight on top of it. A drop of hot glue can be enough. Drop + lead ball (fishing accessory) + another drop of glue... Until you get the proper sensitivity.
Erv'

Novastar
04-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Erv's right--those spring sensors are easy to make, and simply complete a connection because of the shock. Nothing fancy.

In fact, that is why they aren't all THAT nifty for collision detection--because they are (in essence) "digital" and not analog. They are either on or off, nothing in between. As many of you probably know.

As to LightTech sound boards--I e-mailed them at least six times when I was starting work on Balance of Power Ep I... never heard back from them regarding anything, so I wrote them off as flakes. That was my experience.

Barmic Rin
04-24-2007, 12:30 AM
Back in the time long ago, before Luxeons, I bought a couple of inverters, red & cyan EL blades & 1 sound box from them.
They took quite a while to arrive (and recieving any reply emails took almost as long)
The sound was good for the time, but he needs to update to compete with Erv's, Corbins & Ultras boards.
Also, the inverters blew shockingly quickly. Thank goodness I discovered TCSS around that time!!!

Novastar
04-25-2007, 07:09 PM
Yup... quality is where it's at, and Erv appears to have that going on. Not to mention, here comes v2 soon enough. Geez, he JUST came out with v1 as far as I recall.

I would never go with Lighttech after all the innovations that have come up these days. Not to mention lack of customer support. Again, my experience. Which it appears... isn't the only one.

neophyl
04-26-2007, 02:02 AM
Thanks for posting this thread :) I had completely forgotten I had one of the lightech soundboards in my bits box. Now to dust it off and fit it into a sabre. Something small I think as its a pretty small board.

Mmm time to design something I think 8)

Novastar
04-29-2007, 12:37 PM
Phil... I SO hope you're coming to C4. Are you? Would love to introduce you to some of the BOP II cast, and see all the stuff you've made.

I know I'm eager to meet Do-Clo as well.