PDA

View Full Version : Please take over my project!

davidg1904
01-16-2020, 03:02 PM
Hello, I started a hilt some years ago, some of the work was beyond my ability. And my sabre has just sat dormant. I need someone willing to take over my project! I planned on making an EL wrapping on the grip. Someone please help!

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-16-2020, 03:03 PM
EL hasn’t been used in ages. What does the hilt looks like and what are the electronics?

davidg1904
01-16-2020, 03:31 PM
I just took a ton of photos, but the uploader is having some issues for me. And photo bucket is down :(

davidg1904
01-16-2020, 03:38 PM
https://imgur.com/gallery/CFkesht

RavenXp
01-16-2020, 04:11 PM
Wow, a PC v1.5 That was a while ago. I think I see where you were going with it, having EL wire go where the yellow bands are along the hilt?

WaywardViking
01-16-2020, 04:29 PM
Interesting...I actually thought about doing this exact same thing within the last year...exactly how you have it drilled and wrapped...

I don't know much about the board you are using, but what issue are you running into?

davidg1904
01-16-2020, 04:31 PM
Wow, a PC v1.5 That was a while ago. I think I see where you were going with it, having EL wire go where the yellow bands are along the hilt?

Yes sir, almost as old as a protosaber! The yellow bands are the EL wire threaded through kind of like a shoelace. The other bands that aren't yellow, I was going to put on black o rings. The LED for the blade is Amber. The EL wire needed a 3-volt driver which I can't find at the moment and couldn't figure out how to power it off of that little board. My soldering iron was very crude, The wire I had was solid and not very flexible, Long story short it's been on the shelf for years. This was my second sabre.

davidg1904
01-16-2020, 04:33 PM
Awesome! I've never brought this to the forum before because I wanted to be the first to do it... Fast forward about 10 years... yeah lol still not done

RavenXp
01-16-2020, 04:53 PM
Can't even find the old manual for the V1.5, though if I were to hazard a guess you would need to power the driver from a PEX that is hooked into one of the two accent LED pads or the 3.3v pad I see near that massive cap.
Edit:
Luckily Erv has a standard design style for his boards, I can actually figure out how to wire it just by looking it over.

WaywardViking
01-16-2020, 04:58 PM
No I totally get the unique aspect of it...the concept as a whole is awesome and I never thought I would see it in the wild! Your execution seems on the right track...perhaps patience wasn't and frustration and anger took over?

Sadly, I am unfamiliar with that sound board and EL wire in general because I didn't dig into the concept.

However, and I am just spit-balling here, it could potentially be possible with your current board and a secondary power source or its own switch? I would also like to think it is possible with a newer board and if not with the EL string possible and fiber optic thread lit by an accent led?? You can do ANYTHING at least once!

The internet is such a vast, amazing and priceless resource...keyword association can light up many dusty corners of its memory banks.

RavenXp
01-16-2020, 05:04 PM
No I totally get the unique aspect of it...the concept as a whole is awesome and I never thought I would see it in the wild! Your execution seems on the right track...perhaps patience wasn't and frustration and anger took over?

Sadly, I am unfamiliar with that sound board and EL wire in general because I didn't dig into the concept.

However, and I am just spit-balling here, it could potentially be possible with your current board and a secondary power source or its own switch? I would also like to think it is possible with a newer board and if not with the EL string possible and fiber optic thread lit by an accent led?? You can do ANYTHING at least once!

The internet is such a vast, amazing and priceless resource...keyword association can light up many dusty corners of its memory banks.

:idea: This thread is giving me plenty of ideas.....

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-16-2020, 05:36 PM
Can't even find the old manual for the V1.5, though if I were to hazard a guess you would need to power the driver from a PEX that is hooked into one of the two accent LED pads or the 3.3v pad I see near that massive cap.
Edit:
Luckily Erv has a standard design style for his boards, I can actually figure out how to wire it just by looking it over.

Fortunately, some of us have access to fairly substantial archives. ;) The only real issue here is the EL converter, I haven’t seen any in many years. I would also need the specs of the EL wire you used. The EL wire part of this plan *might* have to get scrapped.

RavenXp
01-16-2020, 05:47 PM
Fortunately, some of us have access to fairly substantial archives. ;) The only real issue here is the EL converter, I haven’t seen any in many years. I would also need the specs of the EL wire you used. The EL wire part of this plan *might* have to get scrapped.

Yeah, was thinking the same thing. Though, I also was considering something similar with Cornel Fibrance wire, but that requires the use of a laser diode.

davidg1904
01-16-2020, 06:02 PM

I found the old email from back in the day, the drivers are for sale here: I bought it from this site. http://shopping.coolneon.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.41/.f

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-16-2020, 07:41 PM
Ok, putting the technical issues aside for a second - that, plus all the saber electronics isn’t going to fit into the hilt that you showed in the pictures.