PDA

View Full Version : 2020 TCSS Saber Building Contest

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-24-2019, 09:24 PM
Merry Christmas!!! In honor of the coming brand new decade, and as a little present to you all, I’ll make this fun announcement for you all...

At long last, and after a year off, we are going to have yet another saber building contest here on the forums. As always, there are two categories: MHS and Custom (as long as there are enough participants for both)

MHS Saber - This saber has to be MHS based. Shrouds and custom PC are allowed, but the basic hilt has to be made from MHS. Modifying store parts (or having them modded for you by Tim) is allowed though.

Custom Saber - Anything goes here. No MHS parts are necessary, but they do make life easier when making a saber. Also no US and SF retreading.

*** MAKE SURE YOU READ THIS PART VERY CAREFULLY - I had to disqualify a couple of people last time around****
No previously made sabers are allowed in the contest. You have to build it specifically for it. For example, I couldn't submit Apex, as it has been done for a few years now.

Only ONE SABER per person is allowed! Build the best saber you can and submit it. All members are allowed to enter, including Council members and professional sabersmiths.

Your saber must be functioning for this contest. No renders are allowed, and no empty hilts that have no electronics are acceptable either.

When you have your saber done, send a maximum of FIVE 'finished' shots and a wiring shot or two (optional, but recommended) to ME. No videos for the contest, to keep members anonymous.
Send your entry to this email address: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Title your emails in this format:
TCSS MHS/CUSTOM BUILD CONTEST - YOUR USERNAME

Example:
Superawesomejedi built a saber for the MHS part of the contest. The email title would look like this: TCSS MHS BUILD CONTEST - SUPERAWESOMEJEDI

Inside the email, please put your username, real name, saber name, saber specs, and the pictures you want posted.

Example:
Username: Superawesomejedi
Saber name: Spectra
Specs:
CFV 8.0
LED Engin RGGB
Premium speaker
Momentary switch

<picture1>
<picture2>
<picture3>
<picture4>
<picture5>
<Wiring picture1>
<Wiring picture2 >

I will save and re-host all the pictures myself so that your name stays confidential. The polls will be anonymous, so that people don't vote for their favorite member. Please keep your sabers to yourselves as well, don't show them off until the contest is over.

You have until July 5th, 2020 to build a saber for the contest. Voting will be held shortly after. In case of a tie (which has happened - The Council will decide) :wink:

Prizes - First Prize in each category: A $200 Gift Certificate. Second Prize in each category: A $50. Gift Certificate.

That's about it. Have fun with the contest! I look forward to seeing what you all come up with. And remember, send your saber pics to me, do not post them.

I'll be answering questions here, but keep it on topic.

Ridire Fíréan
12-25-2019, 08:25 AM
WHOO! HOO! INSPIRATION! <--- To finally get my first lightsaber finished!

I've been waiting for this contest to come back around, I'm still struggling with the chassis design, but maybe this will be the year that I get to make it!

It's been difficult not being able to share any pics to get help with certain items for fear of being disqualified from the contest, but I'm still plodding along.

Thank you for having another "The Custom Saber Shop Saber Building Contest"!!!!

I hope I can finally participate this year! Wish me to FINISH IT! ;) That's not a hint, this will not be the "Raiden" lightsaber, I'm still thinking about what that hilt will look like, but I have the Button figured out!

Merry Christmas to you as well @Forgetful Jedi Knight ! A Merry Christmas indeed!

Forgetful Jedi Knight
02-19-2020, 03:18 PM
BUMP for those in the back of the class.

RavenXp
02-19-2020, 04:36 PM
Got inspiration, and will soon have money, now I just need parts to be in stock :-P

poconosjon@aol.com
04-05-2020, 05:55 PM
I cannot wait, as soon as the parts I need are in, I can finish the one for this competition!

JonC

Forgetful Jedi Knight
04-21-2020, 01:16 PM
BUMPING this thread. I want to remind everyone of the rules, especially the not showing it off anywhere ahead of the contest rule.

I AM on all of the forums, and most of the major FB groups. I WILL see it if it’s posted ANYWHERE.

poconosjon@aol.com
05-18-2020, 05:52 AM
It is finally finished and you will have the email either tonight or tomorrow :)

Kreyhn
05-22-2020, 05:07 AM
I’ve started a saber and I’d already been posting on my build log. If I’d like to submit the saber for the contest, should I halt updates there? If I do, can I remain qualified?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
05-22-2020, 06:36 AM
I’ve started a saber and I’d already been posting on my build log. If I’d like to submit the saber for the contest, should I halt updates there? If I do, can I remain qualified?

It’s not just here, it’s anywhere. I’ll take a look around later and let you know.

EDIT: Nope. Can’t use it. Sorry.

Light Bringer
05-27-2020, 07:56 AM
Hey FJK, I sent mine to you a couple days ago, but it doesn't show anything in my actual sent mail? Just wanted to check in and make sure you got it!

Forgetful Jedi Knight
05-27-2020, 02:05 PM
Hey FJK, I sent mine to you a couple days ago, but it doesn't show anything in my actual sent mail? Just wanted to check in and make sure you got it!

Yes, I received it.

poconosjon@aol.com
06-04-2020, 02:33 PM
BUMPING this thread. I want to remind everyone of the rules, especially the not showing it off anywhere ahead of the contest rule.

I AM on all of the forums, and most of the major FB groups. I WILL see it if it’s posted ANYWHERE.

Not being able to post this is almost as bad as the COVID-19 quarantine :)

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-04-2020, 06:27 PM
Not being able to post this is almost as bad as the COVID-19 quarantine :)

Well, I have already disqualified one person, sooooo.......

poconosjon@aol.com
06-05-2020, 01:40 PM
Well, I have already disqualified one person, sooooo.......

That is why I dare not post it anywhere... Only a month to go before the submission deadline... :)

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-24-2020, 03:18 PM
Time for an update... due to the unavailability of several parts from the shop, and a personal issue on my end, I am postponing the due date of this back until August 1st.

poconosjon@aol.com
06-26-2020, 07:53 AM
Time for an update... due to the unavailability of several parts from the shop, and a personal issue on my end, I am postponing the due date of this back until August 1st.

Your killing me smalls! :) Hope all is well on your end and I am sure we can all understand and sympathize. MTFBWY.

Wolverine Jedi
07-13-2020, 11:53 PM

Hello There!

Just wanted to confirm receipt of my saber for submission to the contest. Thank You. MTFBWY!

Wolverine Jedi

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-14-2020, 05:39 AM
Hello There!

Just wanted to confirm receipt of my saber for submission to the contest. Thank You. MTFBWY!

Wolverine Jedi

Yes, I got it.

dannv
07-14-2020, 09:53 PM
Please verify that my entry got to you. Thanks. :)

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-15-2020, 06:45 AM
Please verify that my entry got to you. Thanks. :)

Yes, I got yours too.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-27-2020, 06:22 PM
Tick Tock people!

null
07-28-2020, 02:43 AM
Hey FJK. How are the entries stacking up; are there going to be enough for two full categories?

- Steve

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-28-2020, 07:56 AM
It’s not looking that way as of now...

poconosjon@aol.com
07-28-2020, 08:05 AM
What are the numbers if I may ask?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-28-2020, 09:05 AM
What are the numbers if I may ask?

You’ll see once everything is posted. I haven’t made any final decisions yet, as the deadline isn’t here yet.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-30-2020, 02:00 PM
Also, send me an email telling me which category your saber belongs in, if you failed to mention it in the initial submission.

Light Bringer
07-30-2020, 06:28 PM
Hey FJK sent ya an email, let me know!

poconosjon@aol.com
08-01-2020, 12:34 PM
Sent email with category...

Forgetful Jedi Knight
08-02-2020, 07:48 AM
Tick, tock... Times up!

null
08-02-2020, 03:39 PM
Alright! Looking forward to seeing all the creativity!

- Steve

jbkuma
08-03-2020, 05:36 AM
Ah well, sadly I've been waiting on parts to arrive for a couple of months :(

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone submitted!

dannv
08-06-2020, 07:00 AM
Any idea when we'll get to see the entries? I'm looking forward to seeing what people came up with.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
08-06-2020, 01:20 PM
I hope to have everything finished by this weekend. Not having power for a couple of days set things back a bit.

poconosjon@aol.com
08-06-2020, 02:12 PM
I hope to have everything finished by this weekend. Not having power for a couple of days set things back a bit.
FJK stay safe and hopefully everything is ok.. We waited this long, a few more days wont kill us...

Wolverine Jedi
08-09-2020, 01:37 PM
I'm curious as to how many entries were submitted? Can't wait to show my saber friends what I conjured up. Waiting for the contest to be concluded so I can show it off online too.
Thankx TCSS for the opportunity to show case our efforts!

Forgetful Jedi Knight
08-09-2020, 02:36 PM
You can easily count the entities. You can show it off once the winners are announced. I posted the polling length in the voting threads.

null
08-09-2020, 05:07 PM
This is awesome folks! For what its worth I had a pretty tough time deciding on my vote for each. Kudos to ALL the participants!

- Steve

Forgetful Jedi Knight
08-13-2020, 05:12 PM
I have to say, I’m SEVERELY disappointed that I just found a contestant actively asking people to come here and vote for their saber in the contest. I’ll have to have a discussion about what will happen next.

dannv
08-13-2020, 08:00 PM
Asking for votes. Wow. I have people who want to see what I built and I told them they have to wait.

Onli-Won Kanomi
08-14-2020, 12:36 PM
If I remember correctly when these contests started there was discussion on JSSDC and elsewhere incl I'm sure the "staff" here that having the contest be "blind" as to makers would encourage people to vote for the sabers themselves not on the 'popularity' of (or to curry favour with) sabersmiths.

It also allowed even "noobs" to compete fairly with "big name" sabersmiths (yes some of them participated) if no one knew who made which saber until the results.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
08-14-2020, 01:55 PM
If I remember correctly when these contests started there was discussion on JSSDC and elsewhere incl I'm sure the "staff" here that having the contest be "blind" as to makers would encourage people to vote for the sabers themselves not on the 'popularity' of (or to curry favour with) sabersmiths.

It also allowed even "noobs" to compete fairly with "big name" sabersmiths (yes some of them participated) if no one knew who made which saber until the results.

Exactly, which is why I (and Lord Maul before me) run them the way we did. I had disqualified someone in both this contest and the last one for posting their saber as a WIP. It’s being discussed as we speak, and we’ll go from there once a decision has been made.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
08-24-2020, 03:33 PM
The 2020 TCSS Saber Building Contest is now officially OVER!

While there was an issue during the voting, by the will of the Force, it did not have an impact on the winners (meaning I didn’t have to disqualify the offender).

I have posted the winners in the two categories, and I will be in touch over the next few days with the winners about how to collect your prizes. I do have to let Tim know first, and go through the logistics. Congratulations again to all of the winners!

null
08-24-2020, 05:31 PM
Congrats to the winners!

Which one of you guys won the custom category? I really want to pick your brain on your photography setup! Stellar photos on that one.

- Steve

dannv
08-25-2020, 06:11 PM
Thank you for running the contest.

null
08-26-2020, 03:55 AM
Hey @ dannv. IIRC you got a saber in the competition, right? Which one was yours? I entered “Echo” in the custom satagory.

- Steve

Light Bringer
08-26-2020, 07:42 AM
Hey @ dannv. IIRC you got a saber in the competition, right? Which one was yours? I entered “Echo” in the custom satagory.

- Steve
I loved Echo!! I voted for you:) I also had one in the MHS division, mine was the unnamed saber at the end

null
08-26-2020, 09:10 AM
Hey Light Bringer. Ha ha ha; It was apparently a mutual feeling as I voted for yours! What really sold me was you crystal chamber. Nice stuff man!

- Steve

Forgetful Jedi Knight
08-26-2020, 10:05 AM

- Steve

I hate to break it to you, but he was the one who beat you in the custom category.

dannv
08-26-2020, 10:21 AM

- Steve

As mentioned, mine is One with the Force.

dannv
08-26-2020, 10:23 AM
I loved Echo!! I voted for you:) I also had one in the MHS division, mine was the unnamed saber at the end

I really liked yours.

Light Bringer
08-26-2020, 12:03 PM
Hey Light Bringer. Ha ha ha; It was apparently a mutual feeling as I voted for yours! What really sold me was you crystal chamber. Nice stuff man!

- Steve
Thanks man, I spent a while trying to get it the way I wanted it, and mounting it differently than I have in the past.

Great stuff though, Its always cool getting to see how everyones creativity comes out in the builds

Greenie
08-26-2020, 12:45 PM
Really nice work guys. I was torn between Echo and One With The Force, both looking completely awesome! In the end, I voted for the winner. Congrats. Now, eagerly awaiting the posts of all the glamour.

Greenie:mrgreen:

null
08-26-2020, 01:02 PM
Ha! Awesome suff dannv! A well deserved win on your part.

If I could ask; what is your setup for photographing stuff; what camera do you use? What lens? And my biggest question - what do you use for lighting? The saber was leaps and bounds ahead of what I was going for but I cant get over the quality of your photos (thats really the reason it got my vote)

- Steve

Forgetful Jedi Knight
08-26-2020, 01:34 PM
​I have sent the winners an email with their Gift Certificate info.

Kreyhn
08-26-2020, 07:08 PM
Awesome contest entries! It was so hard to choose a vote.

Echo was pretty incredible, I had never seen a sliding crystal chamber reveal done that way, and the chamber itself was beautiful work. Still putting mine together, I can tell you put in some careful planning. Beautiful!

One With the Force was also incredible. The most striking features there was the emitter shroud and the etching overall. Great shaping and beautiful etching! I’m curious as to how you got such great details with such a deep etch. I’m hoping you post your build!

The Unnamed Saber got my vote for the great crystal chassis, though it was close between that and what appears to be Darth Chasm’s or JediSeth’s handiwork. Both beautiful sabers.

Thanks for showing off your work!

Light Bringer
08-27-2020, 12:34 PM
Awesome contest entries! It was so hard to choose a vote.

Echo was pretty incredible, I had never seen a sliding crystal chamber reveal done that way, and the chamber itself was beautiful work. Still putting mine together, I can tell you put in some careful planning. Beautiful!

One With the Force was also incredible. The most striking features there was the emitter shroud and the etching overall. Great shaping and beautiful etching! I’m curious as to how you got such great details with such a deep etch. I’m hoping you post your build!

The Unnamed Saber got my vote for the great crystal chassis, though it was close between that and what appears to be Darth Chasm’s or JediSeth’s handiwork. Both beautiful sabers.

Thanks for showing off your work!

Thanks kreyhn! Although there are definitely some adjustments I would make in future builds, I learned some super useful tricks on that crystal chamber build to incorporate later on! Thank you for the vote!

dannv
08-29-2020, 10:26 AM
Ha! Awesome suff dannv! A well deserved win on your part.

If I could ask; what is your setup for photographing stuff; what camera do you use? What lens? And my biggest question - what do you use for lighting? The saber was leaps and bounds ahead of what I was going for but I cant get over the quality of your photos (thats really the reason it got my vote)

- Steve

For lighting I used one studio stronger e and shot through a large division panel (part of a large 5 in 1 set.) The surface is a 2x4 foot piece of the white board you can make white boards out of. I. Use a canon 5d m4, but any decent camera will do. For good sharp images I usually use the Canon 100mm Macro. I hope that helps.

For those wonder I g, I will try to push some pics and a description of how I did the etching,

null
08-29-2020, 03:42 PM
Back when I was younger I fancied myself a photographer and do still have an interest in it, so thanks for the info dannv; it does help a lot.

I have an old Nikon 3100 with a 50mm macro that I should probably pull out and use more... I just used an iPhone for my photos.

For lighting I used one studio stronger e and shot through a large division panel
Is that like diffuser box setup or something or just a setup of reflectors?

the white board you can make white boards out of
Oh, so like "Dry Erase" board material? Nice! I never would have thought of that.

Again, thanks for your time and the info.

- Steve