PDA

View Full Version : ? about the super leds, ya know the 10 and 20 watters.

Ryma Mara
04-03-2007, 09:39 AM
Ok so Iam searching around the web for the atlas led and I find out theres also a titan but it seems that lamina is nolonger offering these products.

So her eI am looking at this

http://www.presto-electronics.com/epat-2s00.cfm

Its a 10W star that comes in warm white, true blue, green, red and amber.

Now Iam sure everyone will want to get away from the 3 and 5 watters and now it seems that theres a reasion to get away from the 3 watters cause well theres a red and amber.

Now I know someones gonna chime in and say a red or amber in mor ethan a 3 watter is pointless cause they act like a 5 watter and a 3w red/amber is best.

Well from what I can tell theres a red K2 thats lick-o-licious.

I think there should be a step in the direction of the mega leds and sence we can get them in colors, limited maybe but come on now.

If ya think about it all the colors that really get used are red, amber, blue, green and white. now with an led of that kinda power a filtered color could be had better than before.

I would love to give the mega leds a shot but I dont know much about them like what kinda things I need to power them like how many volts, and things like that.

I mean come on nowits a much larger step in the world of led lightsabers. no flashlights. something like this would put previous stuff to shame.

Granted the price yeah but the possablility of a led lightsaber being used in daylight, Iam willing to take a shot. anyone want to help with the mega leds and bringing them to the saber world.

supertrogdor
04-03-2007, 10:03 AM
The biggest problem that you will face with these LEDs is the forward voltage requirements. The 5W numbers they carry are looki8ng for over 10 volts, granted we can work a 12V pack with 8 double or tripple a batteries, but if you move into the 10 and 20 Watt LEDs there their spec sheet is looking for 17.5 and 18.5 volts. Do you want to try and find a battery holder that will accomodate? If so more props to you and your battery budget. Or you could try and get someone to make you a 20ish volt rechargeable pack, but that sucker would be huge an 18V pack would be 15 rechargeable NiMH batteries, in a triangle setup that is 5 deep, it requires a huge hilt. I am not trying to be pessimistic, but that is a few of the obsticles that you will face if you want to try one of these. When DoClo did his Atlas LED saber he put in a 12 volt pack, but again, it was a rather long hilt if i am not mistaken. Some might prefer that, but you come into a whole new world when you want to power up a portable compact 20ish volt pack... perhaps that is why they have not really caught on in our realm.

Marsupial
04-03-2007, 11:46 AM
I'd be not only worried about battery life, but also about heat dissipation.

In the early days of the luxeon, people were discouraged to use 5W because of heatsinking problems. On a 10W or 20W you require not only more room for batteries, but also a bigger heatsink and some forced air cooling (fan)

Untill they make Leds that shimes real bright without getting warm, I don't think we'll make anything brighter then the current 5watters. I know I wont.

Dregan
04-03-2007, 12:30 PM
Heat can be dealt with. Easily. 5 watters run all day with Tim's regular heatsink. With the new mount he introduced a while ago, which has a lot more surface area, it's even less of a concern.

I'm looking at the spec sheet for a 10 watt red. 10.5v is not hard to fit in a hilt - 9xAAA LiIon would do nicely. It'd be a custom battery pack, but easy to make. To get another color, you'd need 12, which would be a bit of a stretch.

Another option are 3v lithium cells, like a CR123a battery. I know where I can get those at signifigant discount, so building battery packs out of those is also an option, and would allow for a much smaller hilt.

For as creative as this group is, it's constantly butting heads against new tech. It happened when people first started using 5 watters, and it happens whenever someone finds something new. I have an Atlas, and while it's BRIGHT, it's not the next big thing. I admittedly prefer the K2 for how easy it is to work with. This could be that next big thing. And it is definately not outside the realm of possibilty of making a saber with one.

If Tim could stock these, I'd buy them.

Lord Maul
04-03-2007, 02:57 PM
another thing, though less of a concern.

there wasn't any price on that site ryma :wink:
if a 5 watter is 20$, then wouldn't that mean that these are 40$ per led :?:
i could be wrong, but it seems like a awful lot

Do-Clo
04-03-2007, 03:37 PM
The Atlas led is a cool led to use for a white saber but it has some drawbacks such as heat produced and battery required to run it. The one I built was great, but the white K2 is nice also and easier to use in a saber, so to each their own choice.

I have looked at some of the 10 and 20 watt leds and the cost can run upto 100.00 for a led. I don't know about you guys but I can't spend that much on a led for my saber.

We should offer suggestions to each other but if someone decides not to use them then great it means they are thinking for themselves, and we should stop banging our heads together (you just end up with a head ache) :?

Dregan
04-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Maul, Lord forgive me for saying this, has a point, followed nicely by Do-Clo - how much is this gonna cost? I bought my Atlas for a steal at about $15 or so, and I have a LuxV I almost bent over backwards at upwards of $20 (that one's not in a saber, though...)

Last I saw a price for a 20 watter, it was right about $90-100 or so. Ouch.

However, that was a while ago. I'm positive that prices have gone down on those, but still, it's gotta be $40+, I'm imagining...

Marsupial
04-04-2007, 01:35 PM
Dregan, you're only butting head against new tech.

:roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've mentionned it before, and I'll mention it again, I don't believe that the 10->20 watters is the next gen single-led sabers. I think upcoming technology will be better without all the drawback. in another thread, they're talking about luxeon Rebel, which I think will be better for our needs.

Novastar
04-30-2007, 05:09 AM
Agreed, the Rebel's look promising... except for no optic solutions... yet.

For example, the Luxeon Rebel Green...

@ 3.15v for the fwd v...
@ 700ma is 145 lumens...

Max cont. current is 1000ma, so I'd guess you could get 160 lumens out of it driven "fully".

You could drive two of those with Erv's board, each at about 650ma and get quite a spankin' piece of SLATHERED buttered toast.

Except for no optic solutions... yet.

Ryma Mara
04-30-2007, 06:15 AM
nova.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2446

and

http://www.ledsmagazine.com/press/14995

Carclo is the only company to make any kind of optics for the rebel and it looks to be a trilux type array.

Novastar
05-03-2007, 01:00 PM
Hi Ryma... yeah, I'd been asking them about samples or the product itself, but they had nothing to say / did nothing.

When they come OUT... *THEN* I'll try them. Maybe not even then, because how do you mount them onto a heatsink for our purposes... until Tim makes some sweet design... I'm not planning on machining anything, heheh