PDA

View Full Version : what to use to get the best purple blade

robt666
04-02-2007, 02:45 PM
what is the best way to get a purple blade for an led saber? and as bright as it can be?

thanks for what ever help you can give.

Rob

Lord Maul
04-02-2007, 02:58 PM
K2 white lux with a lee filter :wink:

Do-Clo
04-02-2007, 02:59 PM
A luxeon white high current K2 and a purple lee filter will give you the best results.

K2=130 lumins
5 watt=120 lumins

supertrogdor
04-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Do-Clo, i was sure you were about to boast on that atlas white you did not long ago

robt666
04-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Thanks guys

djbordie
04-02-2007, 06:25 PM
im doin my mr mace 05 conversion...there is a wicked thread about purple somewhere, just search.

but yo guys, what is a lee filter and where do i get one?

vortextwist
04-02-2007, 06:57 PM
go to lee filters .com and send an email about getting a sample swatch. give em your name and addy and they send you one

Do-Clo
04-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Do-Clo, i was sure you were about to boast on that atlas white you did not long ago

I am not sure you could put enough filters in to make it purple because it was so bright. It was almost to bright to look at the blade 8)

Jedi-Loreen
04-02-2007, 10:45 PM
go to lee filters .com and send an email about getting a sample swatch. give em your name and addy and they send you one

They will send you a swatch book of about 200 colors of gel filter samples. :D

Yes, I got one too. :wink:

Ryma Mara
04-03-2007, 12:04 AM
From what I understand it is a sample swatch. there actual swatch book tha tyou have to pay for is freaking huge.

Jedi-Loreen
04-03-2007, 01:00 AM
To me, a sample swatch means just one sample of a single thing, not muliple things.

They call it a Swatch BOOK right on the site.

"This new LEE Filters SWB swatch book features
all of our more than 250 color and diffusion filters,
including the popular "700 Series" of designer-
created colors.

The filters are assembled in chromatic order,
making it easy to browse colors and
find just the color you need."

This is what you get. Does it not look like a book?

http://www.leefiltersusa.com/images/SWBswatch.jpg

If you don't have one, or haven't been to the site, then please don't correct me.

vortextwist
04-03-2007, 03:02 AM
he does have one and so do I. who cares what it is called. :D geesh

Ryma Mara
04-03-2007, 03:54 AM
HAy doclo I just thought of something.

What if you take say a colored mylar or something of the sort type and wrap that up inside say tims or corbins film.

like how mr does to get there purple. blue leds with a pink filter.

Maybe a darked colored film behind an opaq diffuser will give it a color with the atlas.

also where did you get the atlas led?

Do-Clo
04-03-2007, 06:59 AM
The more filtering material you install the brightness will decrease, you have to find a good balance between brightness and the color desired.

Seek the web young one and find the atlas you will

Ryma Mara
04-03-2007, 07:23 AM
Yes I know the more filtering yadda yadda but with the atlas I dont think it would matter much. like you said it would take alot of filtering to get a color out of it.

I think it would still be bright as hell

Tenric Starkindler
04-04-2007, 07:52 AM
Ryma actually hit on what I wanted to add......

why not use either a blue LED variant and a pink or reddish filter to see how purple we can get it...or a red LED and blueish filter.............with the range of colored LEDs and filters there might be a great color\mix combination that produces a rich purple........might need to use a K2 for brightness...but worth a try............???

supertrogdor
04-04-2007, 08:09 AM
This has been mentioned several times in the past, and you are more than welcome to try it to test the theory, but as i understand it blue light carries no red within it, so filtering it just cancels out the light. Same for red filtered by blue. White light carries all light frequencies and therefore filtering it red, blue, purple whatever only allows those frequencies to pass through. It does therefore dim you white light, but only because it is keeping the other colors from passing through the filter. Again, feel free to try it yourself, but that is what has been mentioned previously

Barmic Rin
04-04-2007, 01:16 PM
It'd be cool to find a way to give a 'coloured core' effect to the blade.
Something like green blade, but yellow core, or blue with raspberry core.

Some gamers have done mod files for Kotor 1&2 to get that effect & it really rocks!

It probably couldn't be done easily, but maybe a Tri-lux or similar that's been messed around with could get something like that?

Tenric Starkindler
04-04-2007, 04:37 PM
This has been mentioned several times in the past, and you are more than welcome to try it to test the theory, but as i understand it blue light carries no red within it, so filtering it just cancels out the light. Same for red filtered by blue. White light carries all light frequencies and therefore filtering it red, blue, purple whatever only allows those frequencies to pass through. It does therefore dim you white light, but only because it is keeping the other colors from passing through the filter. Again, feel free to try it yourself, but that is what has been mentioned previously

Hmmm. Makes sense. COlor theory was waaaaay to long ago for me......

Ryma Mara
04-04-2007, 08:01 PM
Which is why I suggested using a filter type tube on a really bright white led.

The filtering I think on an led as bright as an atlas shouldent drop the brightness down as much as it does with 3w or k2.

Maybe someone with a 5w white could try this, or maybe a 5w blue with a light pink filter.

Maybe if we ask nice enought maybe doclo can try a thick filter of somesort and post pics of it on that atlas of his.

Jedi-Loreen
04-04-2007, 11:15 PM
You can't really do a different colored core, either, the 2 colors would just blend together.

Barmic Rin
04-05-2007, 12:28 AM
I know you can't ATM, i'm just saying it'd be cool if someone found a way of doing it.
If anyone decided to download the KOTOR mod i'm sure they'd agree it looks very cool, especially the light trails some of them leave behind.

edit: Spelling

UltraSWG
04-05-2007, 01:09 AM

MR makes purple Windu blades by using a string of blue LED's inside a pink plastic tube.

Correct me if I'm wrong, this was a while back, but I think I remember Corbin stating that a red filter on a bin 1 cyan makes a purple as well.

Barmic Rin
04-05-2007, 01:46 AM
Ultra, how do you get the purple for your apprentice sabers? Filter?

It's pretty dark, but I imagine most peeps would still be happy with it.

UltraSWG
04-05-2007, 02:29 AM
Lux III white and a purple Lee filter. Certainly not as bright as an unfiltered Lux, but alot more "purply" than people are used to, so they're happy with them.

Barmic Rin
04-05-2007, 02:40 AM
Cool. My Lee swatch book arrived yesterday, but haven't tested any filters out yet.

james3
04-05-2007, 04:55 AM

MR makes purple Windu blades by using a string of blue LED's inside a pink plastic tube.

Correct me if I'm wrong, this was a while back, but I think I remember Corbin stating that a red filter on a bin 1 cyan makes a purple as well.

This is one of them weird deals.

I have used different stuff to get the purple deal too and most of the Lee filters just don't do the deed that well. If we could use some kind of pink tinted film with a blue LED I think it would probably work like the stock MR blade does. That is just a guess and one I have not tried ONLY because I can't find any pink film wrap. They make it, I have seen it, it just seems that Richmond area doesn't have it. :!:
The Lee filters are designed like we said to pass the light you want out of a white bulb, that is how stage lights work. I used a bin 5 or 6 blue 3w with several of the red filters and just could not get what I wanted but that doesn't mean someone else shouldn't do it too. :wink:
I pretty much do the white with the "super purple" filter like Ultra does as well. It may not be perfect but it works.

Barmic Rin
04-05-2007, 05:04 AM
Richmond? Where you from James?
Have you tried stationers for the wrap?

james3
04-06-2007, 06:58 AM
Sorry Barmic, that would be Richmond, VA.

Yeah, I know, another damn Yank. :P

Barmic Rin
04-06-2007, 08:07 AM
Damn yanks, stealing our town names..... :x
STICK TO MADE UP NAMES LIKE DELAWARE!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Firebird21
04-06-2007, 08:15 AM

lol "If it ain't broke, modify it!" doesn’t just apply to cars. :wink:

It's all about ingenuity not originality. :wink:

TimeRender
04-06-2007, 12:33 PM

I find it incredibly ironic that you would say that, since Delaware was named after an englishman, Thomas West, Baron De La Warr. A made up name indeed, stupid brit.

Now about your idea for a differently colored blade core, it might actually be possible with a dual tube design. I remember a while back someone suggested poking a hole in the center of a lee filter on a white LED to make the inner tube appear brighter. As Loreen mentioned, though, the inner tube would blend with the outer tube. That is why white cored blade are impossible. However, a different color on the inner tube can be achieved by doing the exact opposite. If you started with an LED of a primary color, either yellow red or blue, and then filtered only the inner tube in a secondary color, you would achieve this effect. For a yellow outer blade you could have a core colored either orange or green. For a blue outer blade you could have a core of either purple or green. For a red blade you could have a core of either purple or orange. Yellow would work best as red and blue are far richer colors and would be more likely to drown out the color of the inner core. Of course this may make your core appear too dark. Another option that might produce a brighter result would be to create multicolored filters for a white LED. Again, the outer color would have the be either red, yellow or blue, but with this setup the inner color could be another primary color. The colors will blend somewhat, but it should be apparent that the core is different than the outer tube.

Ah, time to edit myself...
The first of these two ideas won't really work very well, and it won't work at all if either your LED or your filter are perfect primary colors. However, most LEDs and filters still transmit all three primary colors, just in drastically different quantities. A good way to demonstrate this for yourself is to try filtering a red LED with a purple or pink filter. You should notice that the color and brightness are almost entirely unaffected. If you tried filtering a red LED with a blue filter, however, you'll notice that the brightness takes a sudden nosedive. That is because purple and pink filters allow all red light to pass through, but blue ought to block out all red light. The fact that it doesn't block it all, however, proves that either the LED isn't generating pure red light, or the filter isn't blocking out all red light. Ugh... boring science lesson...
To make a long story short, if you want a dual colored blade you need to start with a white LED, you need a filter that is composed of two different colors, and you need a dual tube blade design.

Barmic Rin
04-07-2007, 12:53 AM
Whoa, whoa whoa!!!! Render man, i'm just kidding!!!!! That's why I put the emoticons at the end!!! I didn't mean to offend. Hell, some of the guys on here have called us Brits 'Limeys' & we just shrug it off.
Chill fella!

As for your ideas, they seem kinda cool to try.
"Of course this may make your core appear too dark."
If anyone has the KOTOR mod i'm thinking of, then some of the cores are kinda dark but the light trails are still very cool when you swing them.
I guess it's just a case of mix & matching till you get a result you're happy with!

TimeRender
04-07-2007, 09:14 PM
You didn't offend, I was kidding back. Guess I should have used a few emoticons myself to make my intent more clear. Cheers!

As for the idea, I'd love to see someone try it. I don't have a dual tube blade or I would give it a go myself. I've been trying to think of the best way to make a two colored filter, and all I can come up with is using gel filters for stage lighting. Cut a doughnut out of your first color, a doughnut hole out of your second color, and sandwich them both between two sheets of lamination. I'm looking around right now for a company that sells the sample packs of gels for lighting designers. I'll post again when I find something cheap.

Found it! Here's a pack of gels for only 3 dollars.
http://www.shop.com/op/~ROSCO_ROSCOLUX_GEL_SAMPLER-prod-25904141
You can actually get them for free from another website, but I doubt the company would be amused if a hundred jedi pretending to be light engineers suddenly ordered free product swatches. Now for those of you who might criticize me for mentioning these gels when Tim sells filters on the store's website, understand that these are different. Tim's Lee filters are hard plastic disks, which makes them much easier to carry around. I honestly wouldn't want to carry around a gel filter because it could get crushed and wrinkled pretty easily. Tim's Lees are also ready to go right out of the bag, while these gel filters would have to be cut to size. The only reason I am posting these at all is that you can't cut the lee filters with a craft knife, and for this particular saber experiment you would pretty much have to.

Barmic Rin
04-10-2007, 01:31 AM
Well, the guys at LEE's don't seem to mind all these saber-welding 'light engineers' hogging all their swatches! :lol:

I'm sure Tim isn't offended, he set up these forums for people to discuss constructing sabers their own way, sharing ideas etc. Just so long as they buy some of the parts from him. :wink:

Definitely post pics if you get one up & running!

Novastar
04-20-2007, 10:44 AM
If you are lucky and get the "right" royal blue bin... it will look very much like purple.

The one royal blue that I've wired up thus far is very purple. It happens to be in a TCSS emitter + Mace Body and pommel FX setup. It's nice.

Another thing you could TRY is finding some perfect mixture of a blue or red LED + find a way to color/buy your diffuser with the EXACT pigment to alter the color to just what you want.

I think it would look silly, but that's one way if you're THAT picky.