PDA

View Full Version : PRIZM 5.1 led strip not lighting

ibskyde
09-06-2018, 08:17 AM
Hello all! Last night i finished up wiring my led strip blade (via TCSS PCB connectors - resister is wired in the blade and the pads on the connector bridged) to my PRIZM 5.1 - led strip negative is wired to the L1, positive to the battery along with the board's positive, and the data to the little LS pad in the lower right as indicated in the manual. I've got "ledstrip=123" in the override file to reflect the current pixel count. When I plug in the battery, I get a successful boot sound and the led strip flashes briefly - when I switch it on however, the sound plays but the blade never lights.

I checked with a voltmeter and can confirm that power is getting to the led strips when switched on. I have a nano biscotte (separate battery holder, switch, and speaker already connected to it) that I had been using when I initially put the blade together... just to check, I disconnected the +, -, and data wires coming from the blade off of the PRIZM and hooked them into the nano biscotte with the same battery, and the blade was able to fire up fine, so I know that the blade is working and that the wiring coming from those connectors is fine.

Is it possible there could be an issue with the data connector on the PRIZM board? I resoldered it to make sure the connection was good to the board, and verified with my ohmmeter that it's a good connection between the board connector and the data pin on the PCB connector in the blade holder. Unless there's some additional configuration parameters needed on the memory card, then I'm at a bit of a loss for what's going on :/

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks all!!
Jon

Meatsweats
09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Did you bridge the pads next to LS as seen on page 34 of the manual?

ibskyde
09-06-2018, 11:47 AM
Did you bridge the pads next to LS as seen on page 34 of the manual?

Son of a gun, no, I think I missed that. I knew the PCB connector needed to have the pads bridged if an external resistor was used... nothing on the board itself needed bridging for it to work when I was testing with the nano biscotte though... I didn't catch that this board was different. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll give it a try once I get home from work and update the thread if it that's all it was.

Jon

Meatsweats
09-06-2018, 11:58 AM
Trust me a lot of people have missed that step including myself. Lol

ibskyde
09-06-2018, 09:30 PM
That was indeed it - thanks for the save!!