PDA

View Full Version : Teensysaber Neopixel parts list

EyeBr0ws
08-15-2018, 10:52 AM
Hi guys.

I'm planning to do a Neopixel-based install in my Graflex 2.0.

My parts list is as follows. Besides wires, have I missed anything?

NeoPixel PCB connector and pin set
7/8"" NeoPixel Hilt Side Adapter
7/8"" Thin Walled NeoPixel Blade Adapter
2x 1m WS2812B 144led RGB Neopixel
Blade Diffuser Film
20AWG Silicon Wire for Neopixel
Clear Heat shrink tube for Neopixel
Foam tube for 7/8" and 1" thick walled tubes
470ohm Carbon Film Resistor
7/8 White Blade Round Tip
Teensyboard kit from KRSabers.
Knight Chassis Part 1 - Main shell
Knight Chassis Variant 1 - Part2
Adapter Prizm5.1 to TeensySaber V3
GRFLX 2.0/2.1/2.5 Clamp Sw Holder with suspension
Momentary Tact Tactile Push Button
3.7v Li-ion Battery Charger
Keeppower 3.7v 18650 Battery
2 x 8-32 x 1/8″ Set screw
2.1mm DC recharge socket
True Premium Bass Speaker 28mm

Meatsweats
08-15-2018, 01:58 PM
I didn’t see it, but I’m assuming a blade is on your list? Make sure you get the high amp 18650(10amp). I’d recommend ptfe wire too. I’m guessing the clamp rocker switch is Dmitry Shtoks? You’ll need the switches that he recommends. And my preference is the saber essentials 28mm speaker.

EyeBr0ws
08-15-2018, 02:24 PM
Blade is gonna be this one: https://www.jqsabers.com/product/78-white-blade-round-tip-or-bullet-tip-copy/
Would you recommend the PTFE wire for the entire build? Yes, the clamp holder is from Dmitry and I'll be getting the switches he recommends. I'll look into that speaker, thanks.

Meatsweats
08-15-2018, 03:42 PM
Ptfe is not required, more of a recommendation for high current builds

jbkuma
08-16-2018, 05:50 AM
I personally do not like white blades for pixels (or in general really). They seem to make problems by acting as a screen of sorts for the pin sources and to project on rather than solve anything. A clear blade, diffuser, foam, and a few meters of "clear gift wrap" as is typically used in a "fancy flashlight" style blade should suffice, although I've never used the diffuser so I cannot really comment on its efficacy.

darth_chasm
08-16-2018, 09:04 AM
Ptfe is not required, more of a recommendation for high current builds

Better than pvc imo. Thinner jacket that is more resilient against soldering iron heat and does not melt away. Stronger jacket as well. It’s also stiffer than silicone which can help with routing and wire management.

Tom Tilmon
08-16-2018, 09:14 AM
I triple like the PTFE wire comments. For blades I have found success with: back to back strips, clear heat shrink 1-2 layers (you can sand the outer layer with 1000 grit too). If you used skinny strips, you may have room for the clear gift wrap around the shrink. Then you pull that roll of stuff into the foam. Then pull the foam into the TCSS Strip Diffuser that is already installed in a clear blade. That is how I make my neopixel blades currently. My only difference from JBKuma is the clear shrink wrap. I think the TCSS strip diffuser works great.

jbkuma
08-16-2018, 02:59 PM
You'll want to try to keep your soldering iron on the pad and the pin in order to ensure both are heated. I can see a couple joints where the solder is sort of bubbled on the pin and possibly doesn't reach the pad. It should be pretty easy to fix: heat up your iron and press it to the solder to reflow it and make sure you press down to the pad. Clean your tip between joints and don't just keep adding solder if it isn't making the joint. This will also help with your jaggy bits.

EyeBr0ws
08-17-2018, 06:14 AM
You'll want to try to keep your soldering iron on the pad and the pin in order to ensure both are heated. I can see a couple joints where the solder is sort of bubbled on the pin and possibly doesn't reach the pad. It should be pretty easy to fix: heat up your iron and press it to the solder to reflow it and make sure you press down to the pad. Clean your tip between joints and don't just keep adding solder if it isn't making the joint. This will also help with your jaggy bits.

Thanks jbkuma. I touched up the joints and they now look like this. I've also posted this on various Facebook groups and the general feedback was that this is acceptable although with too much solder on some of them. Now to wire the rest!

Jediseth
08-27-2018, 08:53 PM
Good luck with the rest of the wiring. When it comes to programming everything I’d watch Tom Tilmons videos on YouTube. Aka Megatoothsith.