PDA

View Full Version : ESD Safe Workstation

bluegrasskyle
07-17-2018, 07:26 PM
Hello all, I've been lurking here for a while and I've got a couple sabers I'm working on (modifying some and also fixing another). I've read and searched through several posts and I can't find much info on setting up a workstation. What do you all do to make your workstation ESD safe? Just an esd soldering iron? More?

TwinMill
07-18-2018, 12:43 PM
I'm only an amateur builder (w/ just 2 complete sabers under my belt) but so far yeah, a cheap adjustable ESD safe iron is all I use for soldering.
(Aoyue 469, about $30 at the "everything A to Z" online store.)
I also picked up a fairly inexpensive mini hot air gun there as well, for heat shrink tubing.

darth_chasm
07-18-2018, 12:54 PM
Esd sage iron, esd safe tweezers, etc should be all you need unless you are rubbing your socked feet on the carpet before you work. You could get a grounding bracelet if you’re really worried.

Seth Skywalker
07-18-2018, 01:01 PM
I just use an ESD safe soldering station, that is all.

bluegrasskyle
07-20-2018, 08:19 PM
Thanks! That seems to be what I'm getting from other sources, too. Appreciate the input from everyone. I haven't done much yet, a couple repairs and mods. Maybe I'll get to do a complete build soon!

Asaaj
07-20-2018, 11:25 PM
I use a weller iron... one that was recommended by shameems tutorial video..... is that one ok?

Seth Skywalker
07-21-2018, 09:03 AM
I use a weller iron... one that was recommended by shameems tutorial video..... is that one ok?

Mine is also weller. As long you can control the heat, and it states ESD safe, then its fine. Hope this helps.