PDA

View Full Version : FoC kills my saber

S.J.Horan
04-29-2018, 01:31 PM
Hi guys,

Ive just finished the build of my first saber, and while most elements works ok, the saber seems to die when i try to introduce a flash on clash. Have any of you experienced this before or have any ideas of what is causing this?

I’m running a red, red, white led with white as the FoC. The saber turns on ok and recognises movement, but as soon as i hit the blade against something the saber dies and will not turn back on again until I insert the charging lead in to the charging port. This seems to retset everthing, but will repeat the same issue if tried again.

Have i got a short circuit somewhere? Any help would be very mich appreciated.

Greenie
04-29-2018, 01:36 PM
You may have bridged the contacts on the board. Check your solder joints.

S.J.Horan
04-30-2018, 01:23 AM
You may have bridged the contacts on the board. Check your solder joints.

Cheers Greenie. I did think that but I’ll check again and maybe resolder all again. Love your work btw - insainly mad detail on your internal chassis - truly exquisite!

Greenie
04-30-2018, 02:01 AM
Thank you sir. :mrgreen:
A magnifying glass is great for checking your joints or just snap a pic on your phone and use zoom.

TheChosenJuan
04-30-2018, 10:16 AM
I had the same issue running a nbv4 with neopixel. I had to change some of the parameters. Might I ask what you are using for a soundboard?

S.J.Horan
04-30-2018, 12:30 PM
I’m using a nano biscotte v4. I’ve checked and doubled check everything and it all seems to be fine. If I disconnect the negative white led wire from the board it all works fine. As soon as I reconnect it to the board it all cuts out as soon as the FoC should activate.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
04-30-2018, 12:55 PM
1. What resistor do you have on it?

2. What battery solution exactly are you using?

TheChosenJuan
04-30-2018, 01:16 PM
I notice you are using a red, red, white led. how are those wired? the Nbv4 FoC is a separate channel when you use a tri led chip. Are the reds wired in parallel on channel one and the white on channel two? I know with my strip I had to dial back the fdrive for my FoC. It might be helpful if you copy your config and override files and show us what you at running.

S.J.Horan
05-02-2018, 05:08 AM
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay in posting this, but it was harder to draw a wiring diagram than it was to actually wire it!

Please see attached (I hope) a diagram of what I have. Note it is the green wire to the negative post on my white white LED that is causing the issue. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cjh1985
05-02-2018, 07:01 AM
Wiring diagram looks good here but I'm admittedly not a master. I've had this happen and needed to charge the battery up to full before it stopped. If a full charge isn't your problem here, perhaps something happened around the board side of the connection to white neg?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
05-02-2018, 02:22 PM
Which 186500 battery are you using (mAh rating)?

S.J.Horan
05-03-2018, 05:23 AM
It’s only a little 1400mAh 18500. I had to go with this because of the space (or lack there of).

Anyway, I’m chuffed to report I’ve fixed it now. I ended up resoldering the entire board and the negative pad on the LED. I’m not sure which end was to blame, but it seems to work ok (for now). I’m going to chalk this one up to bad beginners soldering and move on to my next.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I’m sure I’ll have more questions/problems in the near future that I’ll be back to ask advice on.

Ciao for now

PCModulus
05-03-2018, 06:20 AM
It’s only a little 1400mAh 18500. I had to go with this because of the space (or lack there of).

Anyway, I’m chuffed to report I’ve fixed it now. I ended up resoldering the entire board and the negative pad on the LED. I’m not sure which end was to blame, but it seems to work ok (for now). I’m going to chalk this one up to bad beginners soldering and move on to my next.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I’m sure I’ll have more questions/problems in the near future that I’ll be back to ask advice on.

Ciao for now

Yea, the Biscotte is a hardy board, so its almost always an errant solder issue. Glad you worked it out :)

Tom Tilmon
05-03-2018, 01:14 PM
I have hosed a Bisquit, and then fixed it. Its definitely a hardy board. I have never had issues with the NBIV that weren't self-imposed. Its a goto for most "normal" installs. Glad you got it fixed!

Tom